Budget 90k+ Why Ryzen 6000 U-series hasn't come in strong numbers?

ksud

Disciple
My brother is looking for a premium laptop for work (premium because of build quality). Small form-factor, long battery life (6-7hrs minimum, hence Ryzen) and with lots of ports (USB ports & HDMI must) are his requirements. Oddly enough after almost a year since it's release, there's hardly any Ryzen 6000 U series laptops that fit his requirements. Lenovo ThinkPad X13 & Thinkpad T14 are the only Ryzen based notebooks which I found. This asus notebook would be great if they had upgraded to 6000 series. Other companies have Intel offerings in droves but hardly any Ryzen ones.

Why Ryzen options are so less this generation? Want to go for 6000 series because of increased battery life compared to 5000 series. Intel laptops would consider if only they had big enough battery (80Whr minimum. With Ryzen I'd say 55Whr is minimum)

Is it advisable to wait for few more months so that more manufacturer's update their lineups? Will 7000 series offer significant increase in performance and battery life compared to 6000 series? Don't want to wait for 7000 series as that would take too long to arrive in notebook space, and that too in Indian market.

I believe AMD doesn't have enough supply to meet demand and they prefer to capture enterprise EPYC sales using the same chiplets or something like that according to various YouTube channels like Moore's Law is Dead.

I have been waiting for Ryzen laptop since 4800U never got my choice, finally bought i5 11th gen and recently bought Asus zenbook S13 OLED with 6800u but not fully happy with it.

Now waiting for 7000 series laptops but looks like they will cost a bomb for real zen4 models.

Be aware AMD is including older zen3 zen2 and older generation architectures and giving it same 7000 series model numbers so need to buy carefully after inspecting the specs.

Yeah, looks like AMD is including every gen in 7000 series to keep up with demand (in U series at least). The Zenbook S13 OLED would have been a great device if it weren't for the measly port options...

Could you elaborate why your not satisfied with it? Is it the device in general, or something to do with Ryzen in particular? Would really like to see for myself OLED screen on a laptop.

Laptop is actually good by itself, you get used to lack of full size ports, I got a multi port dongle.

I should have elaborated I wasn't 100% happy mainly due to linux compatibility issues with sound and WiFi.... mostly worked around it though.

Just FYI, 7000 series mobile processors will follow a completely different naming scheme with Zen3 CPUs inclueded in 7000 series mobile processors https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-updates-mobile-cpu-numbers. Nothing wrong with it, AMD made the new naming scheme public well before the processors' launch so it's more of a due diligence on customer's end. However don't fall for bigger numbers here, 5000 series mobile processors are quite capable specially 5800H and you will save some money too. Ignore the 6000 series (if you can find one), I think AMD will just rebatch 6xxx as 7xxx CPUs (eg 6600H as 7630HX).

Common sense dictates that a person should wait for 7000 laptop to flood the market then quietly buy a top end 5000 series laptop and save a bunch of cash (or buy them on sale now). Just my two cents don't go for big numbers

I believe AMD doesn't have enough supply to meet demand and they prefer to capture enterprise EPYC sales using the same chiplets or something like that according to various YouTube channels like Moore's Law is Dead.

I have been waiting for Ryzen laptop since 4800U never got my choice, finally bought i5 11th gen and recently bought Asus zenbook S13 OLED with 6800u but not fully happy with it.

Now waiting for 7000 series laptops but looks like they will cost a bomb for real zen4 models.

Be aware AMD is including older zen3 zen2 and older generation architectures and giving it same 7000 series model numbers so need to buy carefully after inspecting the specs.
I've waiting for S13 OLED as well but since you mentioned it's not as per your liking. Can you please elaborate on that?

Back