Monitors Why the New Laptops LCD screens look so crisp and clear - Some coating

Hi Guys

Since a few days i am constantly trying to figure out how do these LCD's on the
Laptops from HP , Gigabyte and Toshiba [Quosimo] look so uber cool.

What i saw was a nice shiny coating on these LCD's a glare type coating.

The LCD's were WXGA which means Wide XGA.

There view angles were also gr8.

For Eg. if u guys have seen the PSP's Screen u might get a idea.

Do we get such Desktop LCD's
uptil now all the Desktop LCD's that i have seen have very less view angle and that whitish film

can some one please explain me more whats that shinny lcd screen called are normal desktop LCD's available like those.

I think i know what you are saying, my friend bought an acer lappy for 45k 2 months back, another friend bought the same laptop but this one was 47k the difference was that the new one had some gloss coating. In marketing terms its called as True Life or crystal bright.

The screen looks totally different with the gloss, sharp n looks a little wet.

Acer - Products

Hacker said:
I think i know what you are saying, my friend bought an acer lappy for 45k 2 months back, another friend bought the same laptop but this one was 47k the difference was that the new one had some gloss coating. In marketing terms its called as True Life or crystal bright.

The screen looks totally different with the gloss, sharp n looks a little wet.

Acer - Products

Firstly thanks for replying , else iwas wondering what happened to ppl on TE
mor than 30 Views

Exactly , bang on target :D

Glossy , Wet look.

Acer® AL2032W

20" wide-screen TFT LCD with Acer® CrystalBrite Technology, 1680 x 1050 native resolution, 800:1 contrast ratio, 176°/176° horizontal/vertical viewing angles, 2 x 5.0W integrated speakers, VGA and DVI-D connectors, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 8ms response time, gloss-black color.

Thanks for the link.

Ne more LCD's having that glossy wet look.

All these coatings are placebos... they really do nothing cos the highest end Eizo, LaCie and Belinia LCDs are just the normal matte finish. So are all the dell large screen displays.

All these coatings are placebos

Err...not really, they are in reality an anti-glare coating which also helps in lending a more vivid vibrant feel to the colors....

On regular matte screens, a matte surface layer is laminated to the LCD to diffuse light from external source..On the flip side, this also diffuses the light off the LCD

To counter this, the so called glossy screens have an anti-glare coating (index matching coat, similar to the the one used on eye-glasses ) instead of the traditional matte laminate...

Which is why The coating does make a difference sp. to to indoor usage,

if you compare the same LCD with & without that coating (Which different manfs term as X-Brite/crystalbright etc.)

e.g. Sony HS95 vs HS95B or Dell laptops where you can opt between the Matte and the glossy fiish (for a lilttle extra cost)

You can see a very clear difference in the image sharpness and the color vividness

Having said that, they are really targeted at home users who also tend to use their LCD screens to watch movies/videos.pictures becoz that's where thhat coating helps

Err...not really, they are in reality an anti-glare coating which also helps in lending a more vivid vibrant feel to the colors....

well ive noticed that with this stupid glasses that i just got made, got ARC coating on them and for some reason after wearing them, the colors on the lcd appear to have more volume in it compared to watching it without the glasses...

^^LOL... ;)

Anyway, the AR coating on the LCD is in place of the matte laminate (Which is responsible for the color diffusion that occurs on a regular lcd)

superczar said:
^^LOL... ;)

Anyway, the AR coating on the LCD is in place of the matte laminate (Which is responsible for the color diffusion that occurs on a regular lcd)

actaully that was supose to be a lol statement, wonder what took u ppl that long :p

Back