Wi-fi help please

naru80

Disciple
I have an MTNL Triband 512kbps unlimited plan (in Delhi)

Currently I use a D-Link ADSL DSL-502T router (MTNL's)

I need to go WiFi so that I can use the connection for my smartphone and laptop too.

MTNL charges Rs500 (non-refundable) + Rs75/ month rental to provide a WiFi router. So it makes more sense to buy your own.

Which one should I get? Is a seperate router and WiFi better than a combo ADSL WiFI router?

My primary usage is torrents. Will a WiFI router have a problem with that?

Please advise

Thanks

First of all, WiFi routers wont have the slightest problem with downloading torrents.. I download about 60 to 70 GB every month and i have a DLink wireless N router.

well, if you have space constraints, then buy an ADSL modem wireless router combo, otherwise, just buy a wireless router and hook it up with your existing modem with an ethernet (LAN) cable. if you want to spend the least amount of money without compromising on quality, buy a DLink Wirelss N router (only router no ADSL) which you will get for about 1.5K to 1.65K. if you are willing to spend on a better router, spend about 1.9K to 2K and get the DLink DIR 615 Wireless N 300 router.. Here: http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dir-615-wireless-n-300-router/p/itmdffysudpgnzba?pid=RTRDFFYGWDEYHGS4&_l=yGCVY4nw6OP24IPOoWtuAg--&_r=9qk8hK85Z0pIbv6PC3FhnQ--&ref=aae65b2f-07bd-42fb-be3d-feb847de6740

you dont need a router... but you need the modem that you are using to connect to the internet right now.. the only diff. will be that right now you must have a dialer on your comp. where you give the username and password and click on connect. once you get the router, you connect the lan cable that goes to your pc, to the router line in, and get one more lan cable and connect it in one of the lan ports of the router and the pc or use the wi fi. and the username and password will be fed into the PPPoE dialer program of the router. so, when you start up the router, it will automatically login for you and distribute the connection to as many comps. as you like on the wifi and limited no. of pcs on the lan ports according to the number of ports the router has.. the router comes between the computer and the modem.. acts as a mediator.

if you dont know how to config the router, once you get one, get back to me. i will help you configure it.

i dont have much time right now, but plz. check out flipkart or any other such good website what best you can get for 2 to 2.5 K. But i would personally prefer buying just a wireless router, and hook up the existing modem to it.

I've had this MTNL connection for at least the past 6-7 years. And I've been paying Rs50 a month as rent for the ADSL router. Which means I've basically paid the cost of the router a few times over to MTNL.

I don't want to repeat that with a WiFi connection. (For a WiFi set-up, the rent is 75 per month + 500 initial charges).

That's why I want a WiFi router + ADSL modem combo. Otherwise I would still be paying Rs 50 a month for the ADSL router

oh.. you've been paying continuous rent???? thats literally extortion..
<
then definitely go for an ADSL wireless router.. and now with online shopping websites finally getting some sense and picking up the cash on delivery option, you've a whole lot of options to look at. dont limit yourself to what is available in the local market.. many a times you will also get better prices online.

PS: and whats your broadband plan or scheme??? i think you must be getting looted there too!!!

I have bought the Dlink N300 i.e DSL-2750 for 2,225 Rupees ,i feel its better than mtnl's router ,now i can game without disconnects,and the range is pretty ok goes through one wall,two walls signal fall weak.

The thing is I don't have the faintest clue what features I require.

Should I just blindly pick something from here: http://www.flipkart....c1-8a58cae42055.

Going through some of the threads here, D-Link seems to be the most compatible with MTNL. And this one http://www.flipkart....46-0f6d381ef1de most popular.

Can't make out what's the difference is between D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router

and D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router

The first has one antena and the second has two. Is that worth the additional 600 bucks?

Also, what is t DD-WRT support? What does it have to do with torrents? If I cant use torrents with these routers they're useless

My plans is 599UL (Rs 599 a month for unlimited data transfers @ 512 kbps; no FUC; though i get download speeds of just ~60kbps)

The thing is I don't have the faintest clue what features I require.

Should I just blindly pick something from here: http://www.flipkart....c1-8a58cae42055.

Going through some of the threads here, D-Link seems to be the most compatible with MTNL. And this one http://www.flipkart....46-0f6d381ef1de most popular.

Can't make out what's the difference is between D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router

and D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router

The first has one antena and the second has two. Is that worth the additional 600 bucks?

Also, what is t DD-WRT support? What does it have to do with torrents? If I cant use torrents with these routers they're useless

My plans is 599UL (Rs 599 a month for unlimited data transfers @ 512 kbps; no FUC; though i get download speeds of just ~60kbps)

stop worrying about torrents .. as long as you are going to download on your pc, theres no relation between torrents and routers. you need specific routers only if you wish your router to be able to directly download torrents without the use of a computer.

WRT is the open source Firmware available for wireless routers and gateways.. and if it says WRT compatible, it means you can flash the factory router firmware with the Open source WRT firmware, and with fair bit of knowledge, tweak the WRT firmware according to your needs.. hence the requirement of WRT for torrent enabled routers.. so that you can install WRT, and program your router to be able to download torrents directly without the use of a pc.

and this------>>>My plans is 599UL (Rs 599 a month for unlimited data transfers @ 512 kbps; no FUC; though i get download speeds of just ~60kbps) the hell do you mean by this?? 60 KBPS is the speed you are supposed to get with a 512 kbps connection.

the catch lies in the difference of units.. the 512 kbps plan means 512 kilobits per second, whereas the speed displayed to you on your comp. is in kilobytes per second.

1 byte = 8 bits

Hence, 512 kilobits per second = 512/8 = 64 kilobytes per second.

so the max. speed you should be getting is 64 KBPS, and if you're getting 60 KBPS its pretty decent. infact quite good. notice the diff. between kbps and KBPS. kbps means kilobits per second whereas KBPS is kilobytes per second.. its only a difference of units being used.. and a big marketing gimmick used by broadband companies.. using a smaller unit enables them to use bigger numbers and they especially count such people who dont know the technical difference to extend their market share.

and the difference between the routers you mentioned, the one with the double antenna is because the router uses multiple communication streams to improve connection quality by using MIMO technology. (multiple in multiple out) yes , it does improve connection quality and also gives better range but you want have any noob software to just display the whether the connection quality is better or not. just the basic signal strength in windows. you may spend the extra money on the router with the double antenna..

one more thing, notice the specs of the router on flipkart. the one with the double antenna also has the maximum bandwidth of 300mbps (megabits per second so basically 37.5MBPS megabytes per second ) whereas the one with a single antenna has 150mbps.. but dont worry about it. you wont be able to use the full bandwidth anyway as you will most probably be using the G band . Not the N band.. and the full speed also depends on a lot of other factors.. like the distance of your pc from router, no. of obstructions.. signal quality etc..

and about the WRT, It is my strong suggestion not to rack your brains in all that stuff. theres no end to it.. just buy a good value for money D Link wireless N router. whether with or not the double antenna.. your choice.. i would have spent the extra 600.

Does that Dlink dsl 2750 router has DD WRT support?

Does it mean that if I run the firmware upgrade of DDWRT on it,and connect a hard drive to its USB port,I cann download torrents directly onto hard drive without PC?

Back