Monitors Widescreen or normal screen monitor

I plan to get a 19"/22" monitor for my new rig.
The main usage would be an all-purpose one,
Browsing internet
MS Office applications
Movies
Games
I plan to get a medium range graphics card like HD3850 for this system.

Are square monitors better than widescreen ones for working with Word and Excel docs. and viewing webpages?

Could some one please suggest some 19" and 22" monitors and their prices. At most of the shops I enquired they were pushing LG, Samsung, Viewsonic and Dell screens in that order. Most weren't too enthusiastic regarding Dell contrary to the view I found here.

Would really apppreciate if someone could help in narrowing down my choices.
Thanks

^^For coding U can tilt the Widescreen 90 degrees in some LCDs and have a huge screen for coding huge no. of lines :p

techster

my budget is maximum of Rs.12000. I have got some quotes from the shops at lamington road the last I went there. The 22" models generally cost Rs.3000 more than corresponding 19" models. But apart from the cost factor I'd like to know how would it affect the system performance? I'll will be getting an E7200 on P35 m-b with 2GB RAM and a 9600GT or 3850 GPU. Would the GPU be able to handle gaming/movies at resolution of the 22" monitor? Or would a 19" monitor be a better choice?

^ 19 inchers having 1440*900 resolution and 22" have 1650*1050 res.

Increase in resolution leads to more demand from the rig for same visual settings

and 9600GT and the proccy/ram though can handle most games at that resolution currently wont be able to support newer upcoming games at that resolution with high settings, fps will start crawling

I would suggest you to go for 19" WS

greenhorn said:
normal screens only if you have to trawl lines of code/large docs. otherwise WS :)

huh.. on the contrary, wide screens are a boon for both those tasks. You can have more content on screen at once. in case of coding, you can have debug windows on the side. for large documents, you can usually keep two documents (or same document) open side by side for comparison or review purposes.

pcgamer said:
^ 19 inchers having 1440*900 resolution and 22" have 1850*1050 res.

The native resolution of 20/22" is 1680 x 1050.

pcgamer said:
Increase in resolution leads to more demand from the rig for same visual settings

and 9600GT and the proccy/ram though can handle most games at that resolution currently wont be able to support newer upcoming games at that resolution with high settings, fps will start crawling

I would suggest you to go for 19" WS

Its true that higher resolutions in games require more graphics muscle, but you can always play a game at 1440 x 900 without loss in quality. Unlike text and stuff games are not drastically affected by a miniscule drop from native resolution.

On the other hand you dont usually buy a new monitor every time you upgrade your rig. Its not a wise idea to settle for a 19" LCD just because you cannot play certain games at 1680 x 1050 with your current GPU. There was other things for which like movies or work where a larger screen would be a boon and maybe sometime down the line you will get a card which can handle gaming at 1680 x 1050. Till that time you can always play those games at lower resolutions.

lilboy said:
and i read somewhere on TE that native resolution of 19 inch monitors may not support all the games

Some very old games do not support widescreen resolutions directly. But may popular ones have hacks to allows wide screen resolutions or you can also play at non native resolutions like 1024 x 768 on a 19" widescreen or 1280 x 1024 on 20/22" widescreen.

lilboy said:
thanks, but how bad it will be playing on non native resolutions

quite bad,non native resolutions simply suck on LCDs.between a 22'' and a 19'' get the 22'',9600gt will perform decently at 1680 without AA,a 8800gt or a 3870 will be better though.

Back