Wifi router - for 3g sim + cable net to be used with desktop and laptop !!

Guys,

Need suggestions on wifi router !! :D

Planning to use it along with the cable net from local ISP and 3G sim card. :eek:hyeah:

I will be traveling too so just wanted to know if is there any portable router which can allow me to use both the connections and set up a wifi for my mobile + laptop and lan port for my desktop.

Own LG optimus one...so it can be used for wifi tethering when i am out but don't know how good reception it will provide and again if i get a call....it will drop the network too !!

Suggest me something as i am a complete noob :ashamed: ...as i have never used wifi routers except the wired one DSL 802C with MTNL !! :p

what u suggest guys....router with all this or router + separate data card ? and please suggest some models with prices if possible.. !!

i mean the normal wifi routers can share local ISP net through wireless network....bt the same router cant have a usb port to plug in a data card or insert a sim?

already went through the thread friend....so you are saying,...i ll have to buy a router with lan+usb port and separate usb data card to connect it, for using wifi?

Nope. AFAIK, none of the portable ones have the option of using the local ISP connection. The only one i know with the LAN connection is an ASUS slim model, but it does not have in built battery. The ones with a 3G SIM inbuilt have no LAN port to connect to the desktop.

even dat would do....if it doesnt have a battery.....because when i am out i can use my LG O1 as a wifi hotspot....so which asus model u r talking about friend?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How is this one?

D-link-wireless-n-300-adsl2--4port-ethernet-router-with-usb

In specifications it says "Compatible 3G USB adapter connection" !!!

Does that mean it can be coupled with USB data card or mobile using USB tethering and then set up a wifi network?

Any suggestions guys.... whether the USB is available for storage device or for using it with usb data card?

bump !!!!!!!!! any suggestion guys !!!!!!!!

If you want a router for RJ45 input and say a Tata Photon+ stick, then those are available with EkWireless. But get your model checked for the type of 3G model you have.

swapyworld said:
How is this one guys? any better?

Asus RT N13U 3G / DSL Wireless N Router Print Server All In One WIFI With 3G USB

It is coming with 3 years warranty too.....just wanted to confirm whether it can help me set up wifi using local cable net and 3g sim/data card and connect with laptop and desktop the same time, through ethernet port and wifi respectively?

I very much doubt it can do a dual WAN on stock ASUS, but on DD-WRT it might be possible. Also, check and see if your donge is supported.

USB dongle list.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Will repost ASAP on the dual WAN thing.

on stock ASUS f/w, no. This is the message i get when i plug my dongle into the USB port and select CDMA2000

After enabling HSDPA connection, the WAN port will change to LAN port, please remove the original cable.

vivek.krishnan said:
I very much doubt it can do a dual WAN on stock ASUS, but on DD-WRT it might be possible. Also, check and see if your donge is supported.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

on stock ASUS f/w, no. This is the message i get when i plug my dongle into the USB port and select CDMA2000

That's absolutely fine mate....!!

I mean i ll be using either usb modem or cable net plugged into router at any point of time!!

and then setting it to provide dual connection...wifi for notebook and lan cable from router to desktop for wired connection !!so at any point of time...only one input connection will be in service and two output modes available viz wifi and lan !!

man it doesnt support UMG 1831? was planning to buy that one only :( any suggestions on dongle then friend?

btw do you have the same model? btw what is DD-WRT? no clue :(
asingh said:
EK Wireless, 3G Router, Data Security, India

Check the compatibility for your USB stick.

thanks for sharing man :) seems they dont have much dealers....one in pune...lets hope i can work out with asus one :D

asingh said:
^^

Ebay.in is their major dealer brotha'.

:)

fine dude...,..actually never heard of the particular brand as i aint from the networking or computer field !!

so playign the safe bet...if asus doesnt work out...will go for it...btw i can find those routers on ebay right?

@swapyword, it is possible to make voice calls as well as 3G video calls using UMG1831, have personally tested it, you need Huwaei Mobile Partner 16.x.x for that

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

tommy_vercetti said:
@swapyword, it is possible to make voice calls as well as 3G video calls using UMG1831, have personally tested it, you need Huwaei Mobile Partner 16.x.x for that

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

but UMG1831 isn't supported by asus router and not by TP-Link routers too :(

Back