Graphic Cards Will an AMD 7950 made for Apple Macs run on a PC ?

chetansha

Skilled
I won an card on ebay, part no says AMD Radeon HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCIE Video Card Monica P/N: 7121A10000G. Is this for apple only or can we use it on asus crosshair v formula + amd 8120, and will cosrair tx650 be sufficient for this ?

Yes it is a mac edition gpu and your PSU is more than sufficient. PC cards require specific drivers and firmware to run on a mac but this is the first time i've heard of anyone trying it the other way around so i'm not sure if it'll work.

While the overall hardware is not different from the PC versions, Apple has employed various techniques to lock down their graphics support to not allow retail PC graphics cards on MAC so that they can sell the Mac specific cards at two times or more the cost of the PC retail versions.

This includes proprietary physical changes to the PCI-e connectors or overall card form factor, additional electronics for lock down, firmware or driver level lock downs or a combination of multiple techniques.

By virtue of these changes, the Mac specific cards may or may not work on PC with and without modding.

You don't know which of these are employed by the card in question. This is usually different for different generation of Macs and the GPUs. So you cannot draw any conclusions from the fact that a different card worked on a different generation of Mac.

Unless you know for sure that this specific card will work on PC, don't go for it.

Below is a Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition card which allows switching firmwares for Mac and Windows. So I am guessing that the lockdown is at firmware level.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...dex.aspx?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&lid=1

Last edited:
1.gif
2.gif
Got the card today, plugged it in and its running - i mean booted, display ok.
Now any s/w etc to test? Currently have aida64 installed in pc.
I did not know it required 8pin+6pin power to be plugged in.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424844428800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424844428800.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Back