Graphic Cards Will Crossfire benefit?

nvidia10

Disciple
Hi. I've planned to buy an HD 5770 1GB to play games at 1280x1024 at high with 8xAA. I want to crossfire it after it starts to struggle at 1024x768 medium settings(say, some x years). But, i've heard that crossfire benefits only at high resolutions. So, after crossfiring, will i be able to play at 1280x1024 high?
I know this is talk of distant future. But I can save on mobo if crossfire is not used. Please help. Thanks.
I've planned on these,
X4 965 BE C3, Biostar 790GX A3+.

@rahulyo: I'm using old 17" CRT with 1280x1024 as max resolution.
@nitant: I've thought of 5770 as it is dx 11, performs similar, priced similar to 4870 1gb and consumes a lot less power than 4870.

the resolution is the biggest bottlleneck i see.

you wont notice the difference between HD4870/5770 and HD4850/5750 at that resolution for most of the games...

crossfiring at that resolution will not be a smart decision.

^^^that is only after 2 years right?.at that time u can buy the same card for 5k..or u can sell this one and buy another big types...

@neojjjk: Yeah, after some years card would be cheap. But will it help in improving frame rates significantly at a low resolution like 1280x1024 if i add a second card?

Instead of getting a new card, sell that age-old CRT and get yourself a good full-HD 24 inch display. Should cost you about 13~14k. The 5770 should let you play any game you throw at it (minus Crysis) at the max. resolution of the monitor. You can as well OC the card to squeeze out some frames more.

nvidia10 said:
Hi. I've planned on HD 5770 1GB to play games at 1280x1024 at high with 8xAA. I want to crossfire it after it starts to struggle at 1024x768 medium settings(say, some x years). But, i've heard that crossfire benefits only at high resolutions. So, after crossfiring, will i be able to play at 1280x1024 high?
I know this is talk of distant future. But I can save on mobo if crossfire is not used. Please help. Thanks.
I've planned on these,
X4 965 BE C3, Biostar 790GX A3+.

At even 1280x1024 Xfire does not do much. I was using it for a while on 1400x900, and hardly saw much of a difference in games, when played with Crossfire on/off. (Yes, the slave card would kick in, but not much boost).Now at 24" (1920x1080), I can feel the difference in FPS with Crossfire on/off, running things with everything maxed out. Get a wide screen 24", see the performance of the HD5770. Crossfire is fun, but has its pinch of headaches....PSU/space/heat/driver scaling.

Thanks.
@gannu: I haven't bought 5770 yet. I'll be buying new rig this month. I'll buy new monitor within a year. But, I want to keep the new rig for at least 4 years. The card would become obsolete gradually and I too will need to lower resolutions and settings if i need to keep the same card.

Let me speak about my doubt more clearly,
IMAGINE that, it's 2012, i have a two year old 5770 with me giving 15 fps in new games(of 2012) @1024x768. So, if crossfired, at that resolution for that game(of 2012), how many fps more may i get?

Doesn't matter even if you buy the HD 5970 today. After 3 years the card would start showing up! I suggest you invest in the 5770, a decent 24in LCD and the rest of the specs whatever you were thinking of. When time's ripe, sell the card off and get a better one. High-end cards have a comparatively lower resale value than mainstream mid-end ones. Like the yesteryear models 8800GTX, 3870X2 and so forth.

Gannu said:
Doesn't matter even if you buy the HD 5970 today. After 3 years the card would start showing up! I suggest you invest in the 5770, a decent 24in LCD and the rest of the specs whatever you were thinking of. When time's ripe, sell the card off and get a better one. High-end cards have a comparatively lower resale value than mainstream mid-end ones. Like the yesteryear models 8800GTX, 3870X2 and so forth.

+1

and if you plan to sli/crossfire then its a now or never situation.

there is always better option at a price what you would pay later for sli/cf

suppose you plan to cf when 5770 come to 5k.. your total investment will be 5k + better psu.

at the same time you can sell existing 5770 cor 3k and add to your previous budget to get single powerful card...this is what generally happens with most of the times.

on the contrary...

you can invest in 24" display and enjoy your 5770 at full glory for 2yrs rather than thinking about a solution which eventually you would dump when the necessity arrives.

you can always keep your CRT with you if you wanna game at lower resolution if that is your prime concern...

can't be certain about that.. it is not possible to certain about that without understanding the cause of the problem.

the 15fps could be due to cpu, memory or gpu mainly.

if the bottleneck is due to gpu only then you will see maximum benefit provided cf scales better for that game..

bottleneck depends on the game you are planning to play.

in the end you will find single powerful gpu economical than cf/sli.

also understand that cf and sli scaling is not the same for all games.

however, one thing will improve..and that is the lowest frame rate incase of gpu bottleneck. but that shouldn't be your prime concern for the future aspect, simply because it would ultimately depends upon the games you would play then.

5770 seems like a decent option considering your plan to upgrade your display later.

the performance gap between 4870 and 5770 should be nullified as catalyst driver matures for 5770.

so get it if you can afford it..
otherwise 4870 is a great card under rv770.

wait for others to express their point of view on the same in order to determine what is best for you.

nvidia10 said:
So, 15 fps won't boost to 25 fps with crossfire at 1024x768?

Really hard to commit, that you will get a boost of 15. FPS. You can see a review here. But this has been done on extreme high-end equipment.

You seem to be worried, 2 years down the line. Well by that technology would have advanced, new Dx, PCI.E 3, more game features...but your card should still hold up. See cards which are 2 years old today, they are doing well. HD4850 came out in 2008, people still manage with the 8800GT. I would suggest the following...get the HD5770, then move to a 24" monitor. Try it out. If you need more muscle then Xfire the HD5770, and the setup will really shine.

nvidia10 said:
Thanks.
@gannu: I haven't bought 5770 yet. I'll be buying new rig this month. I'll buy new monitor within a year. But, I want to keep the new rig for at least 4 years. The card would become obsolete gradually and I too will need to lower resolutions and settings if i need to keep the same card.

Let me speak about my doubt more clearly,
IMAGINE that, it's 2012, i have a two year old 5770 with me giving 15 fps in new games(of 2012) @1024x768. So, if crossfired, at that resolution for that game(of 2012), how many fps more may i get?

8800GT was released in 2007 it's 2010, and even now no game runs below 30fps for 8800GT at 1024x728 or 1280x1024...

so dont worry and keep the AA at 2x or 4x(8xx doesnt really make much diference xcept eat fps).

Back