Will Longhorn be worth the pain?

Microsoft has removed some of the functionality from the next version of Windows to bring forward the release date, which could make the decision to upgrade even more difficult for some companies

Microsoft has now decided to backport Avalon and Indigo to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to encourage developers to start building applications, which means the features are no longer unique to Longhorn. It has also stripped out WinFS completely and will not now make the offering available in the initial client release of Longhorn at all, let alone the server version. Full details of the three pillars of Longhorn, and details on what has happenned to them since they were first announced, can be be found on the last page of this article.

Full article

It's a 4 page article,though a interesting one.

interesting article, thanks for posting :)
Also I think you need to get your sig fixed, its just showing the url of the image..

This 'looooong' horn overdue is really getting onto my nerves...besides the interface is no pathbreaker either...it more or less looks like a skinned xp...i think MS will really do good to take another look at the design front if the Os is really goin to release in 2006 and replace xp as the desktop OS in future...by which time we'll have atleast 2-3 more editions to the Lin KDE interface which is already rockin and far far better than the current XP interface... and now wid avalon & indigo available on pre-longhorn releases why wud a sane person take the pains of upgrading when most of the features will then be already available on XP and 2k3 ?

Back