Windows Windows 10 vs Windows 7, performance comparison 2021

One big reason windows 10 is slow because of its aggressive virus scanner. If you start doing any CPU heavy workload, the scanner starts competing with the heavy app. For example, if I turn the virus scanner off then the file compression with 7z finishes in half time. With virus scanner turned on, the 7z could only use 20-30% of the cpu and the virus scanner uses more than 50% of cpu. Scanner bottlenecks the 7z somehow. And I'm talking compressing the local files for archiving purpose only. There was no reason for virus scanning.

Same thing when I download javascript libraries, can't download them fast enough because of the scanner.

Windows 10 is ugliest thing there ever is. My eyes bleed everytime I open settings. But I gotta use it now because some of the tools I use don't run on win7. It's like unhappy indian marriage. You gotta stick with it even if you are unhappy.

One big reason windows 10 is slow because of its aggressive virus scanner. If you start doing any CPU heavy workload, the scanner starts competing with the heavy app. For example, if I turn the virus scanner off then the file compression with 7z finishes in half time. With virus scanner turned on, the 7z could only use 20-30% of the cpu and the virus scanner uses more than 50% of cpu. Scanner bottlenecks the 7z somehow. And I'm talking compressing the local files for archiving purpose only. There was no reason for virus scanning.

Same thing when I download javascript libraries, can't download them fast enough because of the scanner.

Windows 10 is ugliest thing there ever is. My eyes bleed everytime I open settings. But I gotta use it now because some of the tools I use don't run on win7. It's like unhappy indian marriage. You gotta stick with it even if you are unhappy.
Do you mean windows defender? I use avast and that shit has same issue.

Do you mean windows defender? I use avast and that shit has same issue.
Yes. But nowadays there are too many things in there. Every time I visit security panel, MS has changed something.
And now MS is forcing non-tech savvy people to subscribe to one drive service by saying they could fall victim to ransomware attack.

Now, they will force you to subscribe to Windows itself. I was expecting this when they launched Office365. Now W365 will become reality.

There is not much scope for drastic improvements in OS. So the only way for MS or anyone to make cash is thru' subscriptions.

Is there an easy way to disable this ? There are way too many things in win 10 that do not respect your settings as persistent settings.
A lot if such features re-enable themself after even the smallest update.

On a side note, I had disabled GPU acceleration on MS teams - as Teams has a known issue with 4K displays and video calls that pushes the GPU utilization to 100%.
MSs own published workaround asks user to temporarily reduce resolution while going on a VC :dead:
However, disabling GPU acceleration in teams settings helps the cause in a major way.

I last disabled it in teams settings a week ago - and Teams was back at its GPU sucking ways this morning of its own accord.

Is there an easy way to disable this ? There are way too many things in win 10 that do not respect your settings as persistent settings.

On a side note, I had disabled GPU acceleration on MS teams - as Teams has a known issue with 4K displays and video calls that pushes the GPU utilization to 100%.
MSs own published workaround asks user to temporarily reduce resolution while going on a VC :dead:
However, disabling GPU acceleration in teams settings helps the cause in a major way.

I last disabled it in teams settings a week ago - and Teams was back at its GPU sucking ways this morning of its own accord.
Via GPO everything can be disabled. I have disabled defender permanently for good since 5yrs now. ANd few more similar stuff which I dont even remember..

I use this to get rid of crap once and for all

Yes, MS is picked-up some things from Mi :D

How about adding Windows 11 to comparison list?
I read Win11 won't run well one more than 4 years old HW as the older PCs don't have TPM 2.0 chip. The TPM is basically a security chip, either built into the main processor or added separately on the motherboard. The chip can be used to encrypt hard disks and makes it harder for certain types of malware to infect PCs, amongst other things. It’s a problem if your PC doesn’t have one, because adding a TPM is not a trivial task. It’s effectively impossible on laptops.

Back