Windows 11 24H2 Insider Preview massively improves gaming performance for Zen 4/5 processors.

variablevector

Disciple
  • 10% more fps on average for Zen 4, but it's a wide distribution with some like Gears 5, Callisto Protocol and Jedi Survivor getting 20-30% faster.
  • A similar 11% fps gain on average for Zen 5.
  • 9700X is only 2% faster than 7700X with this build.
  • No difference in most games for the tested Intel processor (i5 14600).
This is way out of the realm of the typical performance gains you'd see from OS optimization. Even going Windows to Linux or vice versa, it is hard to find performance differences on this scale. So this is a generational uplift in performance for the price of free. Pretty exciting stuff.

Maybe this is all just a part of Microsoft's secret plan to get more people to finally move to Win 11. I was still resisting 11 but now I basically have no choice but to switch.

• 10% more fps on average for Zen 4, but it's a wide distribution with some like Gears 5, Callisto Protocol and Jedi Survivor getting 20-30% faster.
  • A similar 11% fps gain on average for Zen 5.
  • 9700X is only 2% faster than 7700X with this build.
  • No difference in most games for the tested Intel processor (i5 14600).
This is way out of the realm of the typical performance gains you'd see from OS optimization. Even going Windows to Linux or vice versa, it is hard to find performance differences on this scale. So this is a generational uplift in performance for the price of free. Pretty exciting stuff.

Maybe this is all just a part of Microsoft's secret plan to get more people to finally move to Win 11. I was still resisting 11 but now I basically have no choice but to switch.
This is cpu performance though, we are gpu limited most of the time.
Also just googled a bit on this, i saw some people complaining that 23H2 lost cpu performance vs 21H2. So maybe some of this is just a bugfix.
Probably need to compare this against win 10 too and older win 11 builds.

See here and below etc

This is cpu performance though, we are gpu limited most of the time.
Also just googled a bit on this, i saw some people complaining that 23H2 lost cpu performance vs 21H2. So maybe some of this is just a bugfix.
Probably need to compare this against win 10 too and older win 11 builds.

See here and below etc
The first guy is using a 14900k though. And Intel CPUs don't appear to gain any performance benefit with 24H2. So that seems to disprove the idea that this was performance lost in the upgrade to 23H2 that is now being gained back in 24H2, I think. The second guy linked in the pcmag article is using a 5800X3D but edited his post later to note that disabling Core Isolation fixes his issues, whereas this is about improving branch prediction, at least according to AMD.

Definitely agree that we need more tests comparing against Win 10 and other builds though. Even a comparison with Linux could be useful for games that natively support it, to see if these gains still hold.

As for being GPU limited most of the time, I mean, free performance is free performance. There are still plenty of games that are CPU limited, see Flight Sim gaining a lot of fps in the video. Or odd things like Factorio or Stellaris etc. That and you can always tap into that extra CPU performance next time you upgrade your GPU.

The first guy is using a 14900k though. And Intel CPUs don't appear to gain any performance benefit with 24H2. So that seems to disprove the idea that this was performance lost in the upgrade to 23H2 that is now being gained back in 24H2, I think. The second guy linked in the pcmag article is using a 5800X3D but edited his post later to note that disabling Core Isolation fixes his issues, whereas this is about improving branch prediction, at least according to AMD.

Definitely agree that we need more tests comparing against Win 10 and other builds though. Even a comparison with Linux could be useful for games that natively support it, to see if these gains still hold.

As for being GPU limited most of the time, I mean, free performance is free performance. There are still plenty of games that are CPU limited, see Flight Sim gaining a lot of fps in the video. Or odd things like Factorio or Stellaris etc. That and you can always tap into that extra CPU performance next time you upgrade your GPU.
yeah i did not look in detail and don't want to. In one game intel had a big jump too which cannot be due to amd changes. So its a bit weird.

Also what i meant is that i wont upgrade just for this as most likely i wont see this IRL, though its nice if real.
AutoHDR and Nvidia Auto HDR are both also win 11 only so that is also a possible advantage too ( special k works for win 10).

Back