Windows Mobile 6.1 - Basics, ROM, Kitchen, Installing Apps - How to ? Help

Singam

Disciple
Bought an windows mobile (Samsung i200) off TE and it turns out to be more sophisticate than a symbian phone. :S

Can someone please provide link to the the various ROM available, how to use the Kitchen and install apps, also JAVA (in phone memory/SDcard). :ashamed:

Can one use the Samsung PC Studio ?

And

Is upgrading 6.5 worth? or keeping the current 6.1 enough? ;)

Its easy! Its not complicated -- its just that the sheer number of features and customization options to anything and everything seems to have befuddled you! As a thumb-rule remember this phone/OS is a exact replica of Windows OS and behaves in the same way which means it can be customized in absolutely the same way as you would in a the Windows environment. Go through my Samsung i200 review( http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/samsung-i200-review-176916.html ). It contains a lot of images which will give you a clue on how to use/install/access the various features of the phone.

[1] Samsung will upgrade the phone to Windows Mobile 6.5 for free. It will take them 15 minutes to do it--take your bill along with you to the Samsung Mobile service center. I would advice you against upgrading the os of the i200 as the phone has low internal memory and will be a bit slow with Windows mobile 6.5 running on it. There's not much of a difference between v. 6.1 and v. 6.5.

[2] First of all you need to install .NET Compact framework--its there in the cd with apps that I gave you. Simply copy the ".cab" file to the memory card and use the file manager(Use explorer tree view by selecting it from the options) to launch it and execute it. Select install to memory card option for installing the software. Use the install into the memory card option for all programs/software that you plan to use on this phone.

[3] Programs can be installed into the phone in 2 methods - through WMDC(Windows Mobile Device Center). Select the install programs option on launching the program and run it or follow the exact same method mentioned in [2] above. Just copy paste the .cab file of the program into the phone's memory card and execute it. You don't need WMDC or a data cable for this. A simple micro-sd card reader will suffice. Similarly Java apps can be installed in the same manner. Java client for Windows mobile needs to be installed. (I think I've already installed it in the phone)

[4] Samsung PC Studio is not needed explicitly and you can do without it.

[1] Samsung will upgrade the phone to Windows Mobile 6.5 for free. It will take them 15 minutes to do it--take your bill along with you to the Samsung Mobile service center. I would advice you against upgrading the os of the i200 as the phone has low internal memory and will be a bit slow with Windows mobile 6.5 running on it. There's not much of a difference between v. 6.1 and v. 6.5.

There are a few minor drawbacks such as not able to create groups in contacts so as to send group sms , the alarm clock wont ring if the phone is off, i switch off the phone at night and there is no new line button/Enter button !

Any way to get around this ? Does 6.5 solve this ?

[2] First of all you need to install .NET Compact framework--its there in the cd with apps that I gave you. Simply copy the ".cab" file to the memory card and use the file manager(Use explorer tree view by selecting it from the options) to launch it and execute it. Select install to memory card option for installing the software. Use the install into the memory card option for all programs/software that you plan to use on this phone.

Installed the .net 3.5 !

[4] Samsung PC Studio is not needed explicitly and you can do without it.

Want to back up the phonebook contacts, thats why. Does WMDC have this feature ?

yes wmdc lets you back up everything--there's sync center in windows 7 which does what you want as well. look on the internet for all sorts of apps - such as alarm or sms backup ,etc. there are many apps for the windows mobile platform. just spend some time getting to know the phone.

Back