Budget 21-30k Windows Tablet / linux tablet for reading PDFs, making ppts, attending Teams meeting i.e. light work load

kvn95ss

Adept
Hello,

I currently have a Dell Venue 10 Pro 5056. It was originally bought for the form factor (small and portable) but the Atom processor leaves a lot of performance to be desired (even 720p youtube drops lot of frames). I bought a USB c to HDMI/USB A + USBV C with charging support/VGA adapter which I can use with my tablet or my phone (LG G8x).

Currently I've installed ubuntu on it and am getting slightly better performance but the device gets too hot. I was looking at devices with same form factor and my options are as follows -

> Surface Go 2/3 -
- Pricey at 50k, used ones are rare to find
- Decent performance but Pentium processor

> Surface 4/5/6
- Used at ~30k, but all devices are 2+ years old, so battery will be an issue
- Most are i5 models, so performance wouldn't be an issue
- Essentially non-existent support

> Avita Cosmos
- Cheap at 16-17k, has Celeron N4020
- No USB C, hence can't use my current accessories
- Unique charger, so SOL if it breaks

> Lenovo Ideapad Duet 3i Windows version
- 30k, but same specs as the Avita Cosmos
- 2 USB C, so charging / accessories aren't an issue.

I have an iPad Mini which my mom is currently using, would it make more sense to just snag that from her and get her an android tablet? Since the display is < 10 inch I'm not sure how the usage experience is going to be (She has her stuff in the iPad hence haven't been able to demo it).

Hello,

I currently have a Dell Venue 10 Pro 5056. It was originally bought for the form factor (small and portable) but the Atom processor leaves a lot of performance to be desired (even 720p youtube drops lot of frames). I bought a USB c to HDMI/USB A + USBV C with charging support/VGA adapter which I can use with my tablet or my phone (LG G8x).

Currently I've installed ubuntu on it and am getting slightly better performance but the device gets too hot. I was looking at devices with same form factor and my options are as follows -

> Surface Go 2/3 -
- Pricey at 50k, used ones are rare to find
- Decent performance but Pentium processor

> Surface 4/5/6
- Used at ~30k, but all devices are 2+ years old, so battery will be an issue
- Most are i5 models, so performance wouldn't be an issue
- Essentially non-existent support

> Avita Cosmos
- Cheap at 16-17k, has Celeron N4020
- No USB C, hence can't use my current accessories
- Unique charger, so SOL if it breaks

> Lenovo Ideapad Duet 3i Windows version
- 30k, but same specs as the Avita Cosmos
- 2 USB C, so charging / accessories aren't an issue.

I have an iPad Mini which my mom is currently using, would it make more sense to just snag that from her and get her an android tablet? Since the display is < 10 inch I'm not sure how the usage experience is going to be (She has her stuff in the iPad hence haven't been able to demo it).
whats the intended usage?

For light usage, I think the Ipad (basic version) will work. It is a simple but powerful machine. You can get a 3rd party keyboard if you want to type.

I have the 6th Gen bought in 2019, and it is still going strong. Just buy a good cover to go along, and you are set.
My partner has been using it with an Apple Pencil for her art as well. Planning to upgrade to a Pro or the latest Air.

In 25-30K price range, Ipads are the most reliable.

I have a cheaper Amazon Fire HD tablet too, which I use for media and online board games, but the experience is no way as good as the Ipad.

For light usage, I think the Ipad (basic version) will work. It is a simple but powerful machine. You can get a 3rd party keyboard if you want to type.

I have the 6th Gen bought in 2019, and it is still going strong. Just buy a good cover to go along, and you are set.
My partner has been using it with an Apple Pencil for her art as well. Planning to upgrade to a Pro or the latest Air.

In 25-30K price range, Ipads are the most reliable.

I have a cheaper Amazon Fire HD tablet too, which I use for media and online board games, but the experience is no way as good as the Ipad.
Yeah, the soc on even the base iPad tends to have a lot of headroom As against the competition.
That coupled with a light weight OS explains the longevity.

As for the CPU options on low cost windows tabs, the less said the better.

After some consideration, i think I'll use the iPad mini. I'll get a new case as the current one is damaged.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried out Apple pencil knock-offs, the ones which cost 2k-ish? I would like to take notes with iPad if possible and apple pencil (even at 5k for used ones) seem too hefty a price. I won't be using it to make artwork.

Back