Windows XP, Vista or 7 RC on Dell Studio 1555

cybertragic

Disciple
Hi ... I've recently ordered my first Notebook, a Dell Studio 1555 with P8600 processor and 256 mb graphics.

It should arrive in the next 2 to 3 days and I wanted to install Windows 7 RC 1727 on it instead of the accompanying Windows Vista Home Premium. What I wanted to know is:

1. Has anyone experienced any problems while working with Windows 7 on their Dell Laptops yet? Is the RC stable enough to be used as the only OS, as I don't want to clutter my laptop with two OSes. I'm a small business owner and although I use my Laptop all the time for business I don't use any corporate enterprise software (whatever the hell that means).

2. Will all drivers and programs that work with Windows Vista work with the Windows 7? Especially Since, I have 3 HP printers/scanners and one of them is quite old.

3. Can I use all of Dell Studio's Windows Vista features and software such as MediaConnect etc. on Windows 7?

4. Basically keeping in mind that I will be using my Laptop for everything from Accounting software to Outlook to watching movies and playing games and using bittorrent, what would the gurus here recommend - Windows 7 RC or Windows Vista Home Premium or trusted old Windows XP?

P.S. - Also for any new RC builds that would be released after 7127, will I be able to upgrade to them automatically or will I have to do a clean install?

Windows XP or Vista +1, stable and can be tweaked however needed.

Win 7 is stable too but any issue cropping up(compatibility of drivers etc), the hassles of searching the solution is too much for buizness.

I would stick to Windows Vista for a while .

Windows 7 although very good , can still be unreliable and since you would be doing Accounting work on your laptop which i presume is important .. Vista is the way to go .

Recommend Vista for the stability too just in case u need more opinions :p. About drivers etc, 7 has been very good for me. A HP DJ 1180c which Vista did not support works fine on 7 with the XP drivers for me. 7 is not finicky about drivers. It accepts Vista and XP drivers most of the time.

Dell Studio 1555 Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio. ... Do I have to create some type of Windows 7 RC start-up disk for the clean installation, ... Most easy way to do a full clean install of windows (xp, vista or 7) and wipe every existing ..

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm still leaning towards Windows 7 RC. I don't wanna use Vista coz it'll be no point getting used to it for a few months and then upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. Why not skip straight to Windows 7 from XP and get comfortable with something I'll be using for the next few years. And from all I've read on various forums on the internet, it seems Windows 7 RC 7127 is atleast as stable as Vista SP1.

As for my accounting and business work, most of it happens on desktops in the office and Laptop will be more for my own reference. Moreover I have an external HD to which I'll be taking backups and worst case scenario, even if Windows 7 crashes I can still extract the data by booting from a Live Linux distro or something.

I'd suggest you go for Win 7 RC. Just recently a friend of mine got the same laptop as you and while using Vista for no reason the cpu usage will just shoot up and battery life as we all know in vista is just bad. Later on decided to install the latest RC, and to our surprise everything worked and it's very stable now. The only problem which you could face but can be fixed easily is that the graphical display for the volume buttons and a couple of other function keys might not show; in which case you can use the driver CD provided to you be DELL :hap2:

Your accounting app will work perfectly fine as well.

As for me i'm using it as my primary OS on my desktop after using Vista for 2 yrs. Runs very well, and i've not had any compatibility issues with any of the apps.

Have decided to go with Windows 7 RC1 Build 7127 and downloaded it already.

Now that I won't be using the Windows Vista Home Premium that comes along with it, can I sell the Installation Disc and key as an OEM Disc.

Is this legal and is there a market for such products. If yes, what is the approx price I can hope to get for this?

Back