Wireless bridge over dd-wrt.

Hi folks,

Another dd-wrt compatible router needed.

My house (2 storeyed) is mostly hardwired (Cat6), except where the TV is (confounded electrician messed it up).

The TV is an LG LCD with LAN port. I am looking for an affordable router (to be purchased online) to hook the TV to the rest of the network.

The topography is like this

BSNL WiMax modem cum router >>>> 100 Mbps network switch >>>>Rest of house>>>>two N13U B1 routers attached to the wired network as wireless access points.

There are two Asus RT N13U B1 routers, one on each floor, (with dd-wrt), currently configured as wireless access points connected to the wired network.

(I also have an older spare netgear router, but I have not been able to get it work as a repeater or bridge) with the Asus routers.

My aim is:

1) Connect TV to the network. Should I configure the new router as a bridge?

2) I also have a Raspberry Pi running openelec on the network and works as a 24 x 7 download rig. I want to stream movies (HD movies) from the Raspberry Pi (? using Plex) to the TV. Is it possible over the wifi?

Suggestions please guys.

Last edited:
If your TV supports DLNA, you dont need wifi. Just extend a LAN cable to the TV, and have the Pi run a DLNA server as well.

Thanks, I think it does support DLNA, will confirm when at home. However, it is difficult to take a LAN cable there, thus the idea of keeping a router next to TV and hardwiring it. And then connecting that router to the rest of the network wirelessly (bridge).

Edit: Yes it supports DLNA, but via a proprietary LG dongle. Any way of bypassing use of this dongle and connecting it via LAN instead?

Is it not possible to connect tv, download station together in a single router and connect the router to Internet gateway?

Yes, I can do that as well, but first I must get a suitable router (preferably dd-wrt) and connect it to the rest of the network.
Which router would you recommend ?

AFAIK, you need to configure it as a bridge. Need to check up on ddwrt wiki, 'tis been a while.[DOUBLEPOST=1402987762][/DOUBLEPOST]Update : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

If you want to also use the router as a repeater - this is it. Also, should be transparent and no extra conf needed.

Won't repeater make the bandwidth half?

Last edited:
i really do not have much idea on the router's, but this is my current setup...
LG 690v, wdmycloud connected asus ac56u through LAN. ac56u downloads everything to wdmycloud and lg access the media through DLNA(router and wdmycloud both has DLNA server)

So what was the final setup? Did it work out for you?

It not work axeman.

Facing multiple issues with bridging the two routers wirelessly. I hope you guys can help me out.

1) Bridging two Dd-wrt routers (RTN13U B1) via wireless with Internet OFF (will come to that later)

Router 1 (192.168.1.2) , DHCP on, Wireless, AP mode.

Routers 2 (192.168.1.3), DHCP off, Wireless client mode, same ssid and channel as router 1, same wireless security as router 1, assigned WAN port to switch, ssid broadcast off, firewall off.

I was able to get it working finally after updating the firmware to the latest beta (upgrade from build 17026 to 24461 on both routers)

Issues (please help guys!) :confused:

1) Able to ping router 1 from computer that is connected to router 2 via ethernet cable, but loss of packets now and then.

2) Both dd-wrts connects only at 54 mbps.

3) When I configure both routers as N only, the routers don't bridge! Tried G&N, they work but not more than 54 mbps. Also work at mixed mode (B&G), again at 54 mbps. Can I get it to work at 150 Mbps, if not 300 Mbps???

3) What should be the LAN settings on router 2 (fixed router IP is 192.168.1.3; subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.2, DNS 192.168.1.2 ....is this okay???)

Bigger issue

1) The Internet comes from BSNL WiMax (192.168.1.1). If I configure DHCP off on the WiMax modem/router, the Internet just does not work!!! So basically I have turned on DHCP on Wimax and kept DHCP forwarding on both dd-wrt routers.

2) Even when I configure both dd-wrt routers as DHCP forwarder (DHCP provided 192.168.1.1), I am not getting Internet on PC connected to Router No. 2 via LAN.

3) However I can ping the Wimax router (192.168.1.1) from router 3!

4) To get the Internet working on computers connected to router 2 via ethernet cables, should I change the router 2 LAN settings to make gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS 192.168.1.1????

I must be doing some thing wrong. Please help guys.

Last edited:
It not work axeman.

1) Able to ping router 1 from computer that is connected to router 2 via ethernet cable, but loss of packets now and then.

.. Signal issue? Check strength at location of #2

2) Both dd-wrts connects only at 54 mbps.

.. Normal, infact you will get 1/2 bandwidth.

3) When I configure both routers as N only, the routers don't bridge! Tried G&N, they work but not more than 54 mbps. Also work at mixed mode (B&G), again at 54 mbps. Can I get it to work at 150 Mbps, if not 300 Mbps???

... Simple No, in your current setup

3) What should be the LAN settings on router 2 (fixed router IP is 192.168.1.3; subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.2, DNS 192.168.1.2 ....is this okay???)

... DNS 192.168.1.1

Bigger issue

1) The Internet comes from BSNL WiMax (192.168.1.1). If I configure DHCP off on the WiMax modem/router, the Internet just does not work!!! So basically I have turned on DHCP on Wimax and kept DHCP forwarding on both dd-wrt routers.

.. Right

2) Even when I configure both dd-wrt routers as DHCP forwarder (DHCP provided 192.168.1.1), I am not getting Internet on PC connected to Router No. 2 via LAN.

... DNS, see above, to confirm try a ping to 4.2.2.2 and 202.54.1.18 from Router 2

3) However I can ping the Wimax router (192.168.1.1) from router 3!

4) To get the Internet working on computers connected to router 2 via ethernet cables, should I change the router 2 LAN settings to make gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS 192.168.1.1????

... See above

I must be doing some thing wrong. Please help guys.

A better option is to run a cable to each of the wireless routers. Then you can do a : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Thanks again buddy. I will try out the options when back home.

Signal strength is okay. I tried the configuration in the same room, keeping both routers close to each other, around 10 feet apart only. Unfortunately, a wired option is out. New house and concealed wiring, you see. The electrician, damn him, did not wire that one part of the house!![DOUBLEPOST=1403678574][/DOUBLEPOST]
A better option is to run a cable to each of the wireless routers. Then you can do a : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Axeman, also in the router No. 1 what should be the gateway and DNS set as?

Last edited:
Back