Storage Solutions Wireless HDD vs PC Streaming

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi All,

So here is the scenario. I have a tablet, and I want to stream data like Videos and Music to my tablet via Wifi. What are the options you suggest?

I see Wireless HDD like Corsair Voyager Air, Seagate Wireless and few others.. And then there are applications like Stream to me and Air play it for iOS.

I never used the HDD for a long period. Just checked it out for like 30 minutes in local shops. around some time back. And yesterday I tried out the applications. Setup and all were good. Fired it up once and the streaming was good. So was the fast forward seeking. But then I minimized and started it up again. The app just crashed. both of em. I am using the paid versions.

So I am asking what are your thoughts and take on both solution?

Thanks in advance

m-J

I use both. Pc streaming is much better for wired clients. Wireless clients, very little difference between the two except at ultra-high bitrates where the wireless connected disk absolutely drops off, with some large files not playing at all.

In my case though, the wireless HDD is nothing more than a disk connected via usb to my router. And it works fine even with ultra-resolution files with wired clients. I suspect once you look at full duplex wireless transmission, even that will be suspect.

A hdd connected with a wire to the router will provide much higher upstream speed than a wireless hdd dock. You are putting a lot of pressure on the radios, and i suspect performance will be an issue for streaming. Non-media filetypes and music should be fine, for the most part, as should SD video.

Like you, my main client is a tablet and i still have issues streaming large files off the disk connected to the router. A dedicated NAS or PC connected over LAN will probably not have any problem at all. There is also the issue of downstream bandwidth avaioable to the tablet and the playback capability and storage access speed within the tablet, but we'll assume it's not to be acconted for here.

Back