Video with Sun direct: No interoperability & violation of govt regulations

neo001

Disciple
what i have seen all around in last few days about sun direct stb's. As their was a lot of comments available on net about the interoperability.

Further i have seen some about Sun direct stb's that those stb's are provided by sun direct are not interoperable, though it was true that MPEG 4 technology is better then mpeg2 but in india we are still having mpeg2.

As per my understanding of technology (though i am not a tech person) and govt rules about interoperability is that
" all stb's from all service providers are both ways interoperable, like dishtv and tata sky have as both are on MPEG2 and are interoperable with each other. but this is not the case with sun dth.

If govt made this mandatory that all service provider should have same stb standards and are interoperable then what happens. as sun is having MPEG4 and it is bacward interoperable with mpeg2 but not both ways .then will sun direct replace all stb's or what will they do.

In other words they are just violating govt rules due to high political influence, and also taking undue advantage of being in govetnment.

I have seen all this information floating on net...can we start a discussion here also based on same thing and what's wrong or right.

'Sun' is not in the govt.. the Maran's have been dumped by the UPA....

neither tatasky nor dishtv provide interoperabilty...

just because they both support the same standard 'mpeg2' does not in anyway mean that they are interoperable.

if mpeg4 is better than mpeg2.. then why should we not go ahead and embrace the new tech? just because tata nd zee do not provide the newer tech on their stbs does not mean that some other company cannot offer better quality services.

i am not condoning sun's actions. at the same time.. i am not sucking up to zee like you do.

Well, you can rely on the Indian brain to come up with some 'jugad' for that.. apparently (it might be a rumour) Reliance is coming up with some way to be able to use the same STB (Mpeg 2, TS and Dish) to be able to work with their Mpeg 4 stream to win over customers who might be stuck with them because of this Mpeg 2 & 4 issue.. even otherwise, I think because of the new competition in this space, interoperability would probably end up as easy as exchange your old STB from your old provider for a new STB of the new provider for free..

isnt the decoding in a stb done with the help of a dedicated hardware decoder chip? so how can mpeg4 signal be decoded on a mpeg2 box? even a software upgrade wouldnt help in ths matter i think :|

Interoperability with sundirect

Take a look at this customer contract @ Sundirects website
SUN DTH
Clause 4. The service
THE SUBSCRIBER HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT HE SHALL NOT ACQUIRE ANY RIGHT, TITLE AND / OR INTEREST IN THE CUSTOMER PREMISES EQUIPMENT, VIEWING CARD AND THAT THE CPE AND VIEWING CARD SHALL BE RETURNED BY THE SUBSCRIBER UPON TERMINATION/DETERMINATION HEREOF, AND / OR DEACTIVATION OR TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF THE SERVICE. THE VCS AND OTHER EQUIPMENTS IS THE SOLE PROPERTY OF SUN DIRECT PRIVATE LIMITED AND CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED TO ANYONE AND SHOULD BE RETURNED BY THE SUBSCRIBER UPON TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT. THE SUBSCRIBER CLEARLY UNDERSTANDS THAT CPE HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF VIEWING ONLY THE SUN DIRECT SERVICES.

20. Rights of SunDirect:-
CPE, VC and other equipments and devices is the sole property of SunDirect. SunDirect has the right to take back the CPE, VC and other equipments and devices installed in the subscriber premises at any time without giving prior notice to the subscriber

It means you cannot use it with other service providers as it is the property of Sun Direct. If you look at their payment structure there is no mention of price for settop box and dish. As I remember reading somewhere in their site which simply said that after 3yrs you'll be charged rental of Rs.1/-.

But atleast SunDirect has put its customer contract or subscriber agreement (I know difference b/w agreement and contract, but here they use both!!)but for TataSky and Dish god only knows.

Also see
5. Obligations of subscriber

It deals with piracy, copyright violation.

One thing is common with all is that they can change channel list and packages with prior notice.

View this site for Customer Complaints
Indian Consumer Complaints Forum

Back