World’s ‘Oldest’ Recorded Zero Symbol at Chaturbhuj Temple, Gwalior

PoBoy

Skilled
World’s ‘Oldest’ Recorded Zero Symbol at Chaturbhuj Temple, Gwalior Fort, India.

Wiki quote :
Chaturbhuj Temple is a Hindu temple excavated in a rock face in the Gwalior Fort, India, in 875 AD.
One of the temples inscriptions contains the earliest known inscription of the circular symbol "0", to represent zero, in India, though the Bakhshali manuscript is regarded as the earliest existent use of zero. The inscription states, among other things, that the community planted a garden of 187 hastas by 270 hastas (1 hasta = 1.5 feet), that the garden yielded 50 garlands for the temple every day. The last digits of 270 and 50 are O-shaped. While Indian and non-Indian texts mention zero much earlier, this temple has the earliest known epigraphical evidence inscribed in stone that already knows and uses the concept of zero.

The pic attached here shows both the zeros as well as their location on the plaque.
Most available pics don't show the "50" and don't mention the exact location of the zeros on the plaque.
It took me quite a while to find them :)

Loc

You Can Visit the World’s Oldest Zero at a Temple in India

---

gwalior_chaturbhuj_mandir_1.jpg

EDIT :

I must mention that the staff at Gwalior Fort are very helpful and pleasant.

When I mentioned that the entrance to Chaturbhuj Mandir, located 500 mts away, was locked and that I really wanted a pic of the oldest zero, they arranged for someone to come with me to the mandir and unlock it.

When I mentioned that I could not find the path to Dondapur gate they send someone with me who showed me exactly where the gate was and why it was almost impossible to get to the gate these days (overgrown plants/trees).

Last edited:
Its a smallish mandir along the road to the fort.

In the OP I have a link to the place on G Maps. Plenty of pics there.

-----------------------
Below post is merged.
-----------------------

On both the eastern and western sides of Gwalior fort are huge Jain sculptures carved from the hill.
They were defaced by Babur’s Muslim army in 1527 but have been restored.

Gopachal rock-cut Jain monuments

Siddhachal Caves

Pic of the splendid 17m-high standing sculpture of the first tirthankar, Adinath.
Very difficult to photograph due to lack of space in front of it. this is a pano.

---
20241009_083159_stitch_PS_619x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Back