Video WTB: LCD + Home Theatre + HTPC

From the heading the thread should be in the Market section :p

1. Budget: 100k
Anyways, a friend's aunt is looking to splurge on a 42inch LCD TV (should be 1080p). She chked out a Samsung model in Croma (dunno which one though). Any others?? Budget is not an issue here.

2. Budget: 50k (not sure but it can go upward)
Besides the LCD, a home theater is also in the list. A 5.1 speaker setup + amplifier is what she needs. Please suggest the best.
For the speakers she checked out some Harmon Kardon model and liked it though the options are still open.
She needs a dvd player but instead of that I suggested an HTPC since my friend already has a lot of .mkv files it would be easy for him to watch em on the big screen.

3. I dunno if you get HTPC's in the market or you would have to assemble them. So the costing of this (which I have no idea) and the ideal config is what is required.

Ideally, the HTPC+Speakers+Amplifiers should fit in a budget of 50k.

All suggestions are welcome.

i'd recommend getting the someting like Tvix player

instead of an HTPC if it for an elderly lady. HTPC is too much hassle for the uninitiated one.

This one has custom OS, looks nice, is a USB host, can play 1080p and lo and behold plays literally anything, MKVs included.

The UI too is kinda cool.

Hmm the Tvix player is a good choice though it may happen that it may not be able to play some movies which is why i suggested them an HTPC.

Besides, most of the time it will be operated by my friend so it shouldnt be a big hassle for them.

Any suggestions for the speakers?

chic_magnet said:
Hmm the Tvix player is a good choice though it may happen that it may not be able to play some movies which is why i suggested them an HTPC.
Besides, most of the time it will be operated by my friend so it shouldnt be a big hassle for them.
Any suggestions for the speakers?

Never heard of this dude, so be careful. But honestly, as sarang mentioned, if its for an old lady, I wont suggest anything other than pushing button.

~LT

@LT - You can demo it at AVExcellence. Have demoed it extensively there, the owner Anand lulla is a nice guy and knows the stuff hes sellling. On the biz part though he's just another indian AV seller (you know what i mean here don't you?)

The firmware is pretty easy to upgrade, and these guys keep rolling out firmwares to support playing various newer file types every other day. Think about it, they can play all HD formats out there, even all the popular HD audio formats as well.

I wont go for onboard gfx if spending that much amount.

Although 46" shown there is kind of old price.

And why not go for HTPC cabinet like which Antec sells ..

coolraghav said:
I wont go for onboard gfx if spending that much amount.

Although 46" shown there is kind of old price.

And why not go for HTPC cabinet like which Antec sells ..

edited the config :)

the antec fusion cabinet alone will set you back by about 11-12k. Better settle for something like Tvix which will come at about 25k + hdds.

Back