WTB Sinewave UPS Inverter, so need suggestions.

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
I was a happy man till the Friday powercut recently started again. and now due to covid power cut problems are increasing as fixing takes time for the power company.
so decided to pull the trigger and get a Sinewave UPS Inverter. Now The requirement are as below:
1) 3 x fans.
2) 3 x 15w bulbs.
3) My Battle Station (1000watt smps) with 2 x 2k monitor.
4) My Secondary System (750wattt currently or 850watt in future) with 4x 1080p monitors.
5) Wifi router.

Backup required : min 8hrs and max 12hrs backup.
Got a quote of a 4kva Sinewave UPS Inverter with 4 x 150mAh Excit batteries costing around 80K.
Will this do or I should go for a 5 / 5.5kva Sinewave UPS Inverter.
also if things go out of budget, can get half battery now and half next month and have no issue ? i.e. for e.g 2 batteries now and 2 next month :p also no looking for a solar solution as I say in a rented flat, in future solar definately so this can also be used with that setup, right ?

These batteries will work in a normal setup too, but would require a special inverter though. If these batteries suit your budget, you can definitely go on with them because these have around 2000 charge cycles and also very safe and smaller in size compared to the Lithium-Ion and Lead-Acid batteries.

These batteries will work in a normal setup too, but would require a special inverter though. If these batteries suit your budget, you can definitely go on with them because these have around 2000 charge cycles and also very safe and smaller in size compared to the Lithium-Ion and Lead-Acid batteries.
Any specific model which you can suggest to me for the battery and inverter ?

Any specific model which you can suggest to me for the battery and inverter ?
I am afraid i can't suggest you an inverter since i am not an expert in LiFePo4 inverters but do check out the Loomsolar website and sellers on indiamart. Also do note that these batteries are more of a DIY thing since no mainstream brand currently offers a ready made battery packs like 12v 200Ah. Only 3.2V 100Ah cells are sold and you have to combine 4 cells to get a 12v 100Ah pack.

I was a happy man till the Friday powercut recently started again. and now due to covid power cut problems are increasing as fixing takes time for the power company.
so decided to pull the trigger and get a Sinewave UPS Inverter. Now The requirement are as below:
1) 3 x fans.
2) 3 x 15w bulbs.
3) My Battle Station (1000watt smps) with 2 x 2k monitor.
4) My Secondary System (750wattt currently or 850watt in future) with 4x 1080p monitors.
5) Wifi router.

Backup required : min 8hrs and max 12hrs backup.
Got a quote of a 4kva Sinewave UPS Inverter with 4 x 150mAh Excit batteries costing around 80K.
Will this do or I should go for a 5 / 5.5kva Sinewave UPS Inverter.
also if things go out of budget, can get half battery now and half next month and have no issue ? i.e. for e.g 2 batteries now and 2 next month [emoji14] also no looking for a solar solution as I say in a rented flat, in future solar definately so this can also be used with that setup, right ?
Well, you can't get half batteries now and half later because a 4kVA inverter will run on 48V and will need 4 batteries to run. You can reduce the capacity of the batteries but then your runtime will suffer.
Get any of the Luminous Cruze + models based on your requirements. You can calculate sizing by using one of the many calculators available online and a good Exide battery. Also search the forum. There has been a lot of discussion on batteries and inverters in the past few years.

I am afraid i can't suggest you an inverter since i am not an expert in LiFePo4 inverters but do check out the Loomsolar website and sellers on indiamart. Also do note that these batteries are more of a DIY thing since no mainstream brand currently offers a ready made battery packs like 12v 200Ah. Only 3.2V 100Ah cells are sold and you have to combine 4 cells to get a 12v 100Ah pack.
Loomsolar gave me a quotation of around 2 lacs for 4kva battery and 5kva inverter. kinda expensive when I cannot even install a solar right now. they did said that I can use it without solar but still. its EXPENSIVE as of now :woot:

Last edited:
I have been offered Local Batteries with 2 years warranty for Rs. 14.5k (220Ah) is this a good deal ? branded batteries are 17k to 18k as much as I know :/

Normally Lead-Acid batteries are provided with at least 4 years or more years of warranty, The most important factor in selecting a battery is its warranty period since these things are a hit or miss, the local battery may last for 5 years or more and a branded battery such as Exide may fail within 2 years. So go with the battery which offers at least 48 month warranty. I heard that a Hyderabad brand called Massimo makes very good batteries with 2 years of replacement warranty and another 2 years of service warranty. anyone having experience with massimo can comment on this.

so decided to pull the trigger and get a Sinewave UPS Inverter.

I've recently had to make this decision. I went with a Luminous 3.5kVA inverter and 4x Amaron Quanta 100AH batteries. I've always been a huge fan of Amaron – I'm swayed by branding/marketing and their introduction in the Indian market was memorable. My second preference was Panasonic VRLA batteries. Exide has caught up quite a bit these days as well.

The inverter was 15.5k and the batteries were 8.5k each. I intend to add four more batteries in parallel when funds allow. I've seen used Quanta 100AH batteries go for around 4k. I was in a hurry and needed it immediately so I didn't ask for a better price, and I installed everything myself that same day. The inverter and the batteries weigh over 30kg each so it was a fun workout getting them up the stairs.

Inverters of this capacity do not have sockets or plugs, they have terminals for you to wire directly into your switch board. I opted to wire into a power strip with a three core 4mm cable. I soldered the cable into a six socket Bull/Gongniu power strip that I got from Amazon, after removing the resetable fuse (the inverter has it's own MCB's). The brass strips of the power strip should be able to handle the full power capacity of the inverter but the 10A rated switch may not. The power strip has tri-wing Y type screw heads, the same kind that Nintendo uses for their handhelds and Apple for their laptop batteries.

This particular Luminous inverter is a bit dated because it doesn't display time remaining and it doesn't have wifi, but I'll be adding Tasmotized power/voltage monitors so this didn't matter much to me.

I got about 7 hours of back up with a ~600w load and an average power factor of 85. Fans would definitely reduce the power factor.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the entire setup. It's placed on a couple of Ikea BROR shelving units that are rated for 130kg per shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_020130.jpg
    IMG_20210416_020130.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20210416_020518.jpg
    IMG_20210416_020518.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20210416_005852.jpg
    IMG_20210416_005852.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20210416_004137.jpg
    IMG_20210416_004137.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I've recently had to make this decision. I went with a Luminous 3.5kVA inverter and 4x Amaron Quanta 100AH batteries. I've always been a huge fan of Amaron – I'm swayed by branding/marketing and their introduction in the Indian market was memorable. My second preference was Panasonic VRLA batteries. Exide has caught up quite a bit these days as well.

The inverter was 15.5k and the batteries were 8.5k each. I intend to add four more batteries in parallel when funds allow. I've seen used Quanta 100AH batteries go for around 4k. I was in a hurry and needed it immediately so I didn't ask for a better price, and I installed everything myself that same day. The inverter and the batteries weigh over 30kg each so it was a fun workout getting them up the stairs.

Inverters of this capacity do not have sockets or plugs, they have terminals for you to wire directly into your switch board. I opted to wire into a power strip with a three core 4mm cable. I soldered the cable into a six socket Bull/Gongniu power strip that I got from Amazon, after removing the resetable fuse (the inverter has it's own MCB's). The brass strips of the power strip should be able to handle the full power capacity of the inverter but the 10A rated switch may not.

This particular Luminous inverter is a bit dated because it doesn't display time remaining and it doesn't have wifi, but I'll be adding Tasmotized power/voltage monitors so this didn't matter much to me.

I got about 7 hours of back up with a ~600w load and an average power factor of 85. Fans would definitely reduce the power factor.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the entire setup. It's placed on a couple of Ikea BROR shelving units that are rated for 130kg per shelf.
Does a PC loose power when it switches between mains and the inverter?

No, it works just like a UPS. I also have an 850VA APC Home UPS/Inverter and that works in the same way. Most sine-wave inverters can be substituted for a UPS for home use. I've previously used Su-Kam and Microtek, I really liked the Su-Kam one. There's a small amount reserve power in laptop power adapters and desktop SMPS's that suffices for the fraction of a second it takes to switch over to battery.

Loads like rackmount servers need line-interactive UPS because of their constant high power draw.

Attachments

• IMG_20210503_024054.jpg
    IMG_20210503_024054.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 153

Please share this once you have done it. I have the same inverter and would like to attempt the same in future.
For batteries, go for Exide the next time eyes closed. They are the best in business for some time now. We did a lot of research in one of the inverter threads in the forum about both inverters and batteries and from the data( basically weight) provided by the companies as well as anecdotal evidence came to the conclusion that Exide are the best. Personally even I would say Amaron are a close second.

for online ups, no. for regular one yes ...
No, it works just like a UPS. I also have an 850VA APC Home UPS/Inverter and that works in the same way. Most sine-wave inverters can be substituted for a UPS for home use. I've previously used Su-Kam and Microtek, I really liked the Su-Kam one. There's a small amount reserve power in laptop power adapters and desktop SMPS's that suffices for the fraction of a second it takes to switch over to battery.

Loads like rackmount servers need line-interactive UPS because of their constant high power draw.
rackmount servers :tearsofjoy:

for online ups, no. for regular one yes ...

rackmount servers :tearsofjoy:
If it's pure sinewave, regular ones work fine too, they have ups mode toggle in the back of the ups. I have a Exide 1450va and a 750w PC, have been using for a year with ups mode on and never had issues with it.

Last edited:
Get a pure sine wave inverter with a tall tubular battery. I just picked up a Exide Invertz GQP 850va inverter yesterday to replace a Crompton Greaves 800va inverter that has been running my pc for the last 12 years.
Do get tubular battery's which have the longest replacement warrant of 48 months to 60 months & then maintain the distilled water levels periodically. This will give you stable performance for at least five to six years & more.

If it's pure sinewave, regular ones work fine too, they have ups mode toggle in the back of the ups. I have a Exide 1450va and a 750w PC, have been using for a year with ups mode on and never had issues with it.
Well 4kva is what I will go for. It was just that the dealer is pushing the Swastik brand. So was thinking if luminous have hanu issue with the services and not.

Back