OC & Modding WTF!!! P4 @ 4GHz... and 49-50C on full load!!!

H@rsh

Adept
I (OCing :noob: ) Just felt like OCing today and this is what i ended up with ...

I am absolutely :wtf: :death:

The CPU temp shows 33 -34 idle and 49-50 at 42-43rd minute of prime 95 torture test :S

and this all on stock cooling. !!

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :help:

P.S: tried PC probe 2 initially but it showed idle temperatures around 30-31, i thought this is definitely buggy :lol: and tried speedfan 4.31 on Mohit's advice.

a prescott at 4ghz and 50C load temps is highly unlikely ...maybe there is something wrong ....wait for the gurus :D

Your thermal diode which reports this temp might be having some problems , its

not possible for a stock heatsink to cool that much.

The best wud be for urself to touch the hsf when its at full load.

I wud request you to underclock that immediately as if the thermal diode is

not reporting the temps correctly u might screw that cpu.

dude anysoftware is gonna report the temps incorrectly if the thermal diodes are screwed up.

my foxconn some times shows temps of 18Degree for the cpu , i know its no way possible for a cpu to idle at 18 using a stock hsf.

please underclock ur cpu first.

Quad Master said:
Your thermal diode which reports this temp might be having some problems , its

not possible for a stock heatsink to cool that much.

The best wud be for urself to touch the hsf when its at full load.

I wud request you to underclock that immediately as if the thermal diode is

not reporting the temps correctly u might screw that cpu.

Have underclocked it to 3.4GHz.. and tried MBM.. it shows all temperatures 0C.. trying to configure it.. if this does not work i'll try touching the heatsink.

ok...configured MBM... here are the readings

MBMreadings.jpg

still :S what the hell is the fan 3?? a helicopter?!

opening up the cabinet now...

Not hot at all..... just (normal) warm... shall i overclock to 4GHz and try again?

Not hot to touch! just warm, even at full load (while this screenie was taken @4GHz)

Got a friend running at prescott at 3.6 GHz , with max temps reaching around 45c .. on the stock cooler ,.. just good airflow in the cabinet , and a low ambient temperature .. so this doesn't seem much unlikely ..

^ am a bit reluctant to go any further, cause if the temperature sensors are off, i'll definitely damage the cpu. What say i ask mohit to bring his 6300 to my place and we check the temps then?

@deathvirus

the ventilation in my system is very good :p, (5 case fans[3x120 & 2x80], two 40mms on NB and SB) and the ambient temperature was 22-23 last evening, but 48-49 on load is still hard to swallow.

The temperature reported for cpu is by the sensor on the motherboard. So its very likely that the temp reported is wrong. Unlike C2Ds where you can measure the temps from on die thermal diode, the prescott cpu temp is reported by thermal diode on the board, under the cpu. So actual temp of the cpu is much higher than reported and the sensor tends to be inaccurate too.

Back