Graphic Cards X1800 available in AGP version too

Blade_Runner

Skilled
X1800 available in AGP version too

ALTOUGH BOTH Nvidia and ATI decided to give AGP owners the boot with their last generation products, some companies aren't comfortable with the lack of options and are swimming against the stream. One of those companies is a resurrected creature from the very beginning of the 3D era, Diamond Multimedia.

The company announced its X1800 product, available for both PCI Express and AGP 8x slots. Specifications are scarce, and there were no clock speed information at press time.

It's obvious that the custom-built PCB features RIALTo PCIe-to-AGP bridge chip, and only makes us wonder why no single vendor stepped up and offered 7800GT(X) on a custom PCB with nVIDIA's own BR02 bridge chip.

Ah, it seems that ATI tech has the edge on innovation these days, since most of Nvidia's boards are twins coming out from the same fab and AIB's don't do much other than slap the sticker on the cooler.

The board features 256MB of DDR memory and spots a fully-featured R520 chip, so it sounds like AGP owners could be in for one heck of an upgrade.

Unlike PCI Express version, AGP version features both video in and video out connectors (VIVO), but the company does not specify is the AVIVO marchitecture supported - no spec for the VIVO chip, but it's probably ATI's own Rage Theatre.

You should expect the board to be available sometimes during this month.

http://www.diamondmm.com/X1800256PCI.php

Source

This is cool man.....thanks for that....Now I can upgrade my 6800GT after saving up a bit....any ideas on how much this baby should cost (shouldn't be more than 50$ US for the AGP version....right??

Blade_Runner said:
X1800 available in AGP version too

ALTOUGH BOTH Nvidia and ATI decided to give AGP owners the boot with their last generation products, some companies aren't comfortable with the lack of options and are swimming against the stream. One of those companies is a resurrected creature from the very beginning of the 3D era, Diamond Multimedia.

[snipped]

Hmm...........

I opened the "article" and found:

1) They mention CrossFire as a feature. LOL. Crossfire in a AGP board?

2) Is it actually DDR memory ? Then its gonna suck bad because you cant clock DDR as high as the GDDR3 memory and thus memory will be a big bottleneck.

3) Many times these custom PCB designs are not that good in overclocking because of the possibility of use of sub-par electronics. Just my 2 cents.

Karan

Well even though all of that said above. ^^

Im sure thats a Shocker to nVidia. They must be like "HuH? :O? WTF? Why? Cheapskates"

Lol... Anyways... Thats good news for people stuck on AGP Boards.

kidoman said:
Hmm...........

I opened the "article" and found:

1) They mention CrossFire as a feature. LOL. Crossfire in a AGP board?

2) Is it actually DDR memory ? Then its gonna suck bad because you cant clock DDR as high as the GDDR3 memory and thus memory will be a big bottleneck.

3) Many times these custom PCB designs are not that good in overclocking because of the possibility of use of sub-par electronics. Just my 2 cents.

Karan

I agree with first two but the third one... Not really... It depends on the company which is making the card :)... Also the bridge chip has nothing to do with overclocking... You see that even AGP 6600 GT's were good overclockers...

Back