Video XBMC comes to ATV2, iPad & the iPhone 4!

Is it worthwhile considering the ATV 2 cannot output 1080p videos? It can certainly decode the 1080p content but is downscaled to 720p. Not sure if shelling out 6k is worth it for this downside.

Gannu, the XBMC on ATV2 can indeed play 1080p but yes, for now, it downscales it to 720p. This is the initial release though. I am sure, the developers will do something about it.

SumitB said:
Gannu, the XBMC on ATV2 can indeed play 1080p! Now rejoice :p
FYI. :gap:

xbmc wiki said:
Question: Does the Apple TV 2nd gen output 1080p video?

Answer: No. The new Apple TV "hockey puck" is fully able to decode and play your 1080p videos using hardware-accelerated decoding, but the video display is currently limited to 720p. The 1080p video is decoded, then down-scaled in hardware to 720p. This is low on the priority list to "fix", as it may be a hardware limitation and the ATV 2 has limited hardware resources (only 256MB RAM, etc.)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

Like I said before, if that device itself is not capable of a 1080p output, there is no way a piece of software can change that. :)

Yes, for those sizes, nothing can now beat the ATV2. Moreover, it comes with the solid build quality of Apple. Really a no brainer if you compare with those cheap POHD clones from China!

For that price you could still get a WDTV(earlier version).So the only thing going in apple tv's favor is its size.If you travel a lot, this makes a lotta sense.

SumitB said:
Yes, for those sizes, nothing can now beat the ATV2. Moreover, it comes with the solid build quality of Apple. Really a no brainer if you compare with those cheap POHD clones from China!
Those clones actually work well Sumit. Saw an Eaget player almost as big as the ATV 2 and it played every other format you could think of. The branding is a different ball game altogether.

And wait a second, did you just say from China? Then where are these Apple devices from? :p

If this device outputs 1080p, I am banking on it. Can connect it to a file server through LAN and stream all the videos. :D

Back