Xbox 360 - Do you really like it?

Wolfff

Adept
While shopping today in one of the mall's, I came across an Xbox 360 demo kiosk. Obviously I had to try it. It was hooked upto a samsung 26" LCD Monitor and I tried 2 games, PGR3 and Ridge Racer 6. While I really like the controller, the overall experience was hugely disappointing. Now I've been a comp gamer for 7-8 years so obviously the keyboard/mouse combo is the best for me, but I got used to the controller in a couple of minutes. And that was the only thing I liked about the console.

I fail to understand whats the big deal with the graphics? I mean everyone all over the place has been praising the graphics, but they kinda sucked. My first thought that it might have been hooked up via composite cable, so i took a peek at the back of the system and the TV was hooked via HDMI ! And the LCD does 720p.

Ridge Racer 6 and PGR3 both looked like a generation old computer games, and I'm not sure if this console does AA, but there were jaggies everywhere. Maybe console gamers sit 10 feet away from the TV and thats why all this does not matter to them. Maybe second generation X360 games will look better than this. Maybe the console was'nt setup properly, but if MS can't setup demo consoles correctly, then what do they hope to sell?

These days everyone loves to bash Sony, but I think for 20k+ for a console, and 2.5k a game, I will wait for the PS3 to get here, officially or unofficialy, before I get a console for my lil bro. And no matter how good the PS3 is, if the X360 is anything to go by, I think I'll be a computer gamer to the core (pun intended) till X720/PS4 come along.

lol ..... i felt quite the same ...... talked to one of my fren who is having the box ...... and he told me the reason ......
actually problem is the game they are using in demo ..... PGR is not a good example of definition fidelity....... it's actually one of the only Xbox 360 games that is rendered at 600 lines and upscaled to 720/1080 instead of being a true 720/1080 (which should be default), hence why it looks very 'jaggy'.
You need to see something like Oblivion running at 720p or 1080i w/AA on the 360....... or check out Capcom's 'Lost Planet' or Rare's 'Kameo' to see some better examples...... or FEAR for that matter

these useless stores running these games and trying to attract customers actually they are sending them away .... lol

EDIT: and remember this is just 1st generations of games for Xbox 360 ...... remember how graphics improved on PS2 .....

Chaos said:
Did you check if hidef was enabled in the dashboard? 720p won't be enabled automatically lol.

If someone were to demo a product should'nt they think about making it look good rather than setting it up at a sub-standard configuration? Thats like Ferrari giving you a test drive on a race track but saying please drive at 20kmph.

lol ! like Rahul said pgr3 isn't the best game you should be showcasing the console with. Sadly right now the xbox 360 is available in a pgr3 special edition pack which is the reason why the "noobs" (read sales rep) are showing off that game. They should demo Ghost Recon, Oblivion, Lost Planet etc. which are much better off than pgr3 which looks good only in photo mode.

And wolfff about that substandard config, there were screw-ups even when the console was demoed the "wrong" way in the US and many other countries. Dunno how many customers M$ has lost due to this......... :lol:

I have seen more than 20 Xbox360's in every mall i have gone and none of them are running in Hi-def, the sales rep don't know what to do to get it working in 720p..Upon checking i found out that the wires were right but they were in 480i mode on a 720p TV with HDTV option disabled. Yes, none of them are running on proper modes and the people who have set it up did it with no interest in setting it up.

I went to a friends game shop in Inorbit and luckily he also had a Xbox360 kiosk and since he is a friend, he allowed me to make the changes and get it running in 720p and i was really impressed, it looked the way its meant to look and played very well too. Sadly MS does not know that it's kiosks are running at 480i and not impressing any one...

akS !

Wolfff, consoles don't sell on eyecandy. They sell on their games and exclusivity, and so far have done pretty good hammering the PC gaming market. Someone told me before Ps3 and X360 are already outclassed in the graphics department by the PC, and that the Ps3 isn't that much powerful than X360, so there's no point in waiting for the Ps3, Ps4, X720 either, you'll end up with the same results.

That may be true, but if you undersell yourself then you aren't exactly doing yourself a favour. If MS was only providing 480 rather than 720, then they should have charged lower right? Just like Nintendo is doing - charging lower cause their costs are lower. But when you ae told to pay 20k, then you at least expect some minimum level of quality in the graphics department.

params7 said:
Wolfff, consoles don't sell on eyecandy. They sell on their games and exclusivity, and so far have done pretty good hammering the PC gaming market. Someone told me before Ps3 and X360 are already outclassed in the graphics department by the PC, and that the Ps3 isn't that much powerful than X360, so there's no point in waiting for the Ps3, Ps4, X720 either, you'll end up with the same results.
That argument works well with people who know their stuff i.e. true gamers. The junta on the other hand will go by the face value i.e. how the games looks etc. Setting up the x360 to run 480i rather than 720p is definitely going to hurt in terms of influencing purchase decisions and ultimately sales. If Sony decides to set-up similar kiosks, they might have to suffer a similar fate....

I have a 360 at home and am loving it.

About the demo kiosks, I saw one today at the adidas store here in chandigarh and I think it was running at 480p(?), anyways I set it all the way up to 1080i but it did not seem to make much of a difference in Dead or Alive 4. There were jaggies everywhere. I forgot to check which cable was plugged in.

Also somebody mentioned it was hooked in through HDMI, does the 360 even support HDMI output?

360 does support HDMI. I will go in again to the mall this weekend hopefully and tinker around with the dashboard and set it to 720p. If it does look as good as everyone's been saying, I might just pick one up.

wolfff said:
360 does support HDMI. I will go in again to the mall this weekend hopefully and tinker around with the dashboard and set it to 720p. If it does look as good as everyone's been saying, I might just pick one up.
With the Ps3 launch this close i think you better wait before sploshing down such a huge sum.

I'm not a big fan of the xbox 360. frankly cos i'm not a big fan of any console. But the xbox 360 controller is stand out. In ergonomics and comfort, its miles better than any other controller I've ever used on any console or any PC.

PS3 would easily cost around 40k.Considering the games lined up for both the xbox 360 and PS3, such a premium for a PS3 isn't worth spending!! But it depends on the games you like.If you are MSG fanboi, then PS3.

XBOX 360 does not support HDMI and it wont thought u can buy a composite
to HDMI convertor to use with ur HDMI supporting Screen .

Why u thought XBOX 360 supports HDMI?
coz the samsung [LA-26R71B] Screen which microsoft has showcased in thier kiosk center supports HDMI input so u might have read HDMI in front of the screen and thought so.

Why the games were lookin shit ??
Coz microsoft staff are shitty people they do not know what HDTV is and what input outputs the XBOX 360 supports.
I have talked with the Area Sales MAnager of xbox360 complete asshole does not know any thing i asked him when will be the HD-DVD kit available in India His answer "What HD-DVD Kit this is HD-DVD the drive inside is DVD and the games CD are DVD what HD-DVD bullshit"
I was talking to myself yes finally he knows something that i was looking for "bullshit in his head"
Yes they connected XBOX360 to Component but they have not switched the XBOX360 to HDTV mode.

When u set the XBox 360 to Component mode [HDTV] & the screen resolution to 1080i [Yes the samsung LA-26R71B supports 1080i] u will know what that 20k+ is for and dont forget to put the audio to ur 5.1 reciver through fiber optic cable. U will not believe it ?? Trust ME
And will get all the answers reagarding hype of XBOX360.

andrew327 said:
When u set the XBox 360 to Component mode [HDTV] & the screen resolution to 1080i [Yes the samsung LA-26R71B supports 1080i] u will know what that 20k+ is for and dont forget to put the audio to ur 5.1 reciver through fiber optic cable. U will not believe it ?? Trust ME
And will get all the answers reagarding hype of XBOX360.

I dont want the answers. I want this :D bit-tech.net | Nintendo hands-on (p)Wiiview

Back