Xbox One Controller Stick replacement

Slayer88

Adept
Hi All,

My XB1 controller is acting up, the left stick up and down isn't working as expected, left right is fine. I have opened and put a bit of WD40 but that has helped nothing. I am planning on replacing the stick all together. I saw one for ~280 on Amazon but was wondering if someone has a more reliable/cheaper source for this? Does anyone have experience with buying this?

TIA!

Replacing an analog stick is NOT an easy thing to do. There are a couple of points to be first de-soldered and then a new one to be installed. Not an easy task for a beginner.

I don't think that it's worth taking the risk especially since the damn controllers are so damn expensive. Better to get it soldered by a professional guy. Mobile repair guys can do a fantastic job of soldering small components.

But if you have experience in soldering and feel comfortable then this job can be done. All the analog sticks are made by a single company APLS. Be it Xbox,xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and so you are good to go.

Replacing an analog stick is NOT an easy thing to do. There are a couple of points to be first de-soldered and then a new one to be installed. Not an easy task for a beginner.

I don't think that it's worth taking the risk especially since the damn controllers are so damn expensive. Better to get it soldered by a professional guy. Mobile repair guys can do a fantastic job of soldering small components.

But if you have experience in soldering and feel comfortable then this job can be done. All the analog sticks are made by a single company APLS. Be it Xbox,xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and so you are good to go.
Sorry if this is off topic but is the elite controller similar when it comes to repairs ?

Sorry if this is off topic but is the elite controller similar when it comes to repairs ?
The analog stick is itself almost the same. But it varies slightly on xbox elites. But there are two sister board in and getting to the actual analog stick is already difficult. Then you need a very high heat soldering iron (preferably one with a temperature controlled one) and this one needs about 650 C.

Then again the real problem is getting the small points to be soldered well. I am NOT very good at soldering and i don't recommend anyone to try soldering such precision items as a beginner. Better to get it soldered at a known mobile repair guy. They are expert in soldering small components.

Overall it's quite a difficult job to do.

The analog stick is itself almost the same. But it varies slightly on xbox elites. But there are two sister board in and getting to the actual analog stick is already difficult. Then you need a very high heat soldering iron (preferably one with a temperature controlled one) and this one needs about 650 C.

Then again the real problem is getting the small points to be soldered well. I am NOT very good at soldering and i don't recommend anyone to try soldering such precision items as a beginner. Better to get it soldered at a known mobile repair guy. They are expert in soldering small components.

Overall it's quite a difficult job to do.
Are all stick compatible with any controller? for example, can i swap PDP xbox controller(third Party) stick to original xbox controller?

Are all stick compatible with any controller? for example, can i swap PDP xbox controller(third Party) stick to original xbox controller?
I can't say for sure about the third party controllers as they can use a variety of analog sticks.

But one can use the same generation analog sticks. I mean , xbox one / PS4 analog sticks are interchangeable. So are xbox 360 / PS3. Same company makes the analog sticks (ALPS). But you CANNOT use xbox 360 analog sticks on PS4 and similar. THEY HAVE TO BE OF SAME GENERATION.

Cannot comment about Xbox series / dualsense controllers as i am yet to lay hands on them.

Where can one find replacement analog sticks here in India. Would love to have some for my ageing controller. The Alps ones that I've seen online are crazy expensive to ship to India

Last edited:
Back