Xiaomi Mi 5 launched.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Xiaomi launched the Mi 5 in three variants:
1. 1.8GHz quadcore Snapdragon 820, 3GB RAM with 32GB storage, 3D curved glass body.
2. 2.15GHz quadcore Snapdragon 820, 3GB RAM with 64GB storage, 3D curved glass body.
3. 2.15GHz quadcore Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM with 128GB storage, 3D ceramic body.
Battery is rated 3000mah.

The Xiaomi Mi5 has a 16MP main shooter with an aperture of f/2.0 and the Sony IMX 298 sensor. But the real rabbit in the hat is definitely the new 4-axis optical image stabilization.
camera newb here but that ^ sounds goood. :D

Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-6948.php

The three Mi 5 variants are priced at CNY1999 (approx. 21000rs), CNY2299 (approx. 24000rs) and CNY2699 (approx. 28000rs).

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/24/11104438/xiaomi-mi-5-hands-on-photos-video-mwc-2016
http://www.gsmarena.com/this_short_demo_shows_just_how_good_xiaomi_mi5s_ois_is-news-16877.php

Impressive specs. Hope the real world performance is equally impressive. And hope the pricing is decent in India.

One Indian tech site (I don't remember which) said the 128GB "should" be available in India for around 25k. If we go by that then the cheapest 32GB model will go for around 17-18k, 64GB for 21k-22k. There's a problem with that estimation though, it will eat into the Mi4 64GB's market. And I don't see any Mi4 sale. :/

One Indian tech site (I don't remember which) said the 128GB "should" be available in India for around 25k. If we go by that then the cheapest 32GB model will go for around 17-18k, 64GB for 21k-22k. There's a problem with that estimation though, it will eat into the Mi4 64GB's market. And I don't see any Mi4 sale. :/

Mi4 64gb isn't available anywhere in India for purchase.

I purchased a mi4 16gb version day before yesterday for 11.7k.. :(
If the mi 5 would come at 17k, then I'm at a loss...
Aww sucks.
Can't you return it? Bought 2nd hand? Tell seller that you've changed your mind. Lie if you have to. Bear the return shipping charge. I hope the seller doesn't see this post. :p
But Mi4 is not a bad phone. Just the lack of external storage is a problem for users who have a habit of shooting a lot of pics or store a lot of entertainment files, me included.
Regarding the price wait for the official announcement.

Last edited:
I'm betting pricing at either 20k,25k,30k or 25k,30k,35k if they feel as all the other phones with such specs are more than twice the prices.

Paying above 28k in 2016 for any Chinese brand doesn't make sense to me(Nexus branding is an exception) , pricing of OP2 in 2015 is a benchmark in that way.

Xiaomi should be wiser after the lessons it learnt from initial pricing mistake of Mi4. Irrespective of specifications ; the top variant of Mi5 should be priced below 28k.

Are you talking about the original pricing of the Mi4? 24k was it?

Yes precisely, after success of Mi3, Mi4 was priced too steeply.
Xiaomi gave nearly 2k discounts within 2 months of launch, which didn't help much.
People are accustomed to buying Xiaomi etc below 20k, so Pricing above 28k is a strict No. same will apply for other Chinese manufacturers as well. The Flaunt value & Used Phone market for these phones is quite poor, people spending above 30k will keep that into account. OP2 won because of some amount of difficulty attached to buying that device ; which made it feel premium along with killer specs.
If you price it above 30K , you will be competing with last year's branded Flagships , which will make selling Mi5 tougher for Xiaomi.

Aww sucks.
Can't you return it? Bought 2nd hand? Tell seller that you've changed your mind. Lie if you have to. Bear the return shipping charge. I hope the seller doesn't see this post. :p
But Mi4 is not a bad phone. Just the lack of external storage is a problem for users who have a habit of shooting a lot of pics or store a lot of entertainment files, me included.
Regarding the price wait for the official announcement.

Na its a new one from flipkart.. There is no return policy on mobiles I think.. only 30 days replacement..
But so far I'm liking the display and miui..
Although camera is not upto the mark in low light.. Also its still running android 4.4.4 :(

Isn't there any update for it? I remember all Xiaomi phones getting the latest update. Next one might be Android v7 M.
No official android M update yet.. Heck even no official android L yet for mi 4.. Although it has got the latest miui7 update but underlying android version is 4.4.4

No update for my Redmi note 4G , still on kit kat . The miui version changed from 6 to 7 though and the os is quite customisable and stable though .

They have to pit it against the OPO. No choice. India is a VFM market.

Have a 4i, brilliant display, the VFM on that never ceases to amaze me.

Would be nice if there is option to run stock ROM.

Back