xp vista networking issue...limited user acces not happening

my question/concern is that only vista machine and no other clients should be able to access my files on xp ...rather than 'everyone'. (Vista is on my laptop which is wirless and xp on desktop which is hardwaired to desktop)

for that i go into sharing -> and then permissions -> and then when i go to select object and type the name of my vista machine its not able to find that.

One thing to note is that under the locations ...it does not show the Network name or anything but the just the host machine's name ( xp machines host name).

1) I have checked that both computers are on same workgroup

2) No firewall issues.

Please note once again that Im able to share files but I just want my vista laptop ( which im not able to see as a separate user while giving permissions) to see my XP machine and my folders not be shared to everyone on the network.

Add a local user on your XP machine with the same username/ password as the Vista account. In the share properties, remove "everyone" and add that user. Easy way.

Can't do that myself as my XP is a Home edition and no option to turn off simple file sharing. But it should work.

tried that bruv......it is not able to find any object with that name (vista user name ) and when i select the location to search for the vista machines it does not give me any network name or anything but just the hostname of the Xp machine.

akitosforever said:
tried that bruv......it is not able to find any object with that name (vista user name ) and when i select the location to search for the vista machines it does not give me any network name or anything but just the hostname of the Xp machine.

It works. Tested. Add local user on XP with Vista credentials first. See screenshot:

akitosforever said:

Don't try to search the username(vista) in network, try to search in your local system itself, if you have created it you XP will find it.

Are you even following the advice given here? How can it not find a local user name? Create a local user on XP with the same user name as on Vista. Follow the steps in my screenshot. Forget the Vista user name for now. Just give the new user u've created on XP access permissions and ta dah, done.

Naga said:
Are you even following the advice given here? How can it not find a local user name? Create a local user on XP with the same user name as on Vista. Follow the steps in my screenshot. Forget the Vista user name for now. Just give the new user u've created on XP access permissions and ta dah, done.

Well I cant be as sarcastic as you are because 1) Im the one on the this side of counter 2) I had not tried exactly what u told me too when I posted my last message.

However let me just inform that I tried to add the a user in Win Xp machine with a username that of the vista laptop but that has failed to provide exclusive access to the sahred files.

so till now the only option that i have to share the files in XP is to give access rights to EVERYONE which is risky and unintended.:no: :no:

akitosforever said:
Well I cant be as sarcastic as you are because 1) Im the one on the this side of counter 2) I had not tried exactly what u told me too when I posted my last message.

Dude, where's the sarcasm??? The steps are high lighted so there's no confusion! Also, since I'm taking time out for your problem, it wouldn't hurt you to reply after at least trying out the steps, would it? Why get pissed :no: ?

akitosforever said:
... has failed to provide exclusive access to the sahred files.

You mean others can access too? Removed the "everybody" from the permissions window where you add the Vista user? If u tried that too, my apologies for making sure u tried all the solutions suggested.

Back