Car & Bike Your opinion about Electric 2 and 4 wheelers ?

imo only decent options are ola scooter and ather. he can buy chinese ones from random brands but they wont have good after sales experience i think

Buying electric 2 wheeler is a good decision.
But we have only very few GOOD CHOICES to choose from. (Ola, ather, hero electric, revolt)
Before buying check whether the service center is available nearest to you.
Dont buy the chinese ones.

I think it will be a while till EV prices will fall again. Many battery companies, electronic component manufacturer have increased the prices this year. With even normal engine power scooters costing close to or exceeding Rs 1lakh. So I don't think its any better time to get a EV scooter and we don't know how long the government will offer subsidy. Unless the set up a battery cell manufacturing gigafactory in india we won't see a price drop anytime soon.

Right now Ola sounds the best on paper. Highest range and power and smart features.
Ather is just too expensive for what if offers.
Others are just chinese scooters with Indian stickers.

Ola is supposedly the best but I don't know much about the truth of their claims, is there any good reviewer for this sort of stuff

Test rides have started for ola e scooter. From the initial reviews, i noticed the below

Pros:
Good looking. (with the LED head lamps, looks like EVA from WALL E)
Portable charger. no quick charging though.
just 20 to 25k expensive than the market leader 6G
Good storage space.
Touchscreen interface is good.
Good range.

Cons:
No ABS.
No Key. we must use our mobile for starting the scooter. (What to do, if mobile switch off due to low battery)
Engine Auto cut off on braking. (If brake is pressed, the motors stops. A software update can fix this)
No regenerative braking.
Foot board is not flat.
Short riders will find the seat height bit uncomfortable.

Cons are not worth buying specially this:
No Key. we must use our mobile for starting the scooter. (What to do, if mobile switch off due to low battery)

What is this: ? No regenerative braking.

Wait for a few years .. you will find a lot of abandoned EV because most of them buy them like another toy . Real maintenance is what will let the EV down .

You need to break down the use case. The current crop of e scooters are just hype which are best suited for milk and mall runs.

You need to break down the use case. The current crop of e scooters are just hype which are best suited for milk and mall runs.
I think that would sum up the use case for a scooter for most people, wouldn't it. For any longer travel, a car or public transport will be much more comfortable.

I think that would sum up the use case for a scooter for most people, wouldn't it. For any longer travel, a car or public transport will be much more comfortable.

Have three scooters at my place, extensively used averaging 35-60kms a day (office commutes) often parked in rains and driven through flooded and bad roads. I have tried ather and chetak, feels delicate like a mobile device that won't last 2-3yrs. Overall, not very confidence-inspiring.

Have three scooters at my place, extensively used averaging 35-60kms a day (office commutes) often parked in rains and driven through flooded and bad roads. I have tried ather and chetak, feels delicate like a mobile device that won't last 2-3yrs. Overall, not very confidence-inspiring.
I don't know how you metro guys do it. I know most people prefer it because of the traffic jams. But apart from the metros, most people will use a car for such longer commutes. 35-40kms one way journey would take me to the next city and most people will take a car for such journeys because it would be mostly highways. So this point only matters for metro guys who already do long commutes on scooters, which would hardly be 10% of the audience.
Anyhow, back to the topic, first gen products will always be marred by some issue or other. Usually car companies increase prices when issues start getting sorted so there are pros and cons to being a first gen customer. I've been interested in buying an electrical delivery vehicle (like a small autorikshaw) for some time now and those can easily do 70-80kms on one charge. This is conservative number as companies claim 120-130kms range. Good thing for someone like me is that soon we will see prices drop for battery packs and especially retrofitting of these battery packs by other people for their use.
For people like me with short distances, very low electricity tariff and who is planning to shift to solar in near future EVs make the most sense. For metro dwellers where charging points will be scarce and distances a lot, not so much.

Last edited:
I would go with electric bicycle for my usage. That's enough for me.

I have shortlisted Essel energy get7 as the model for my dad. But for now I am buying used ebicycle from OLX

I will wait for the prices to fall next year for a two wheeler. Nitin Gadkari said there will be fall in prices on evehicles next year

Maintenance is 0 as far as read from user reviews compared to any other petrol etc. scooters.
Long term maintenance costs like battery replacement , charger replacement etc .. Most of the replacements would be in 4 figures .
There are quite a few abandoned ones from the older gen Chinese ones without batteries etc .

Took the plunge today and booked Ather 450X, paid full amount. Now, the 45-60 day wait starts. Why not Ola S1 Pro? I cannot put my safety on the line by going for scooter that has throttle and heat dissipation issues. When I took test drive of 450x, I did not notice any issues.
I will continue to use my beloved 8 year old Pulsar NS for office commute and the 450X will be mainly for wife. Also, as we have two kids, we are over-using our car even to go to places within 5km radius. With two 2-wheelers, we will reduce our dependency on car.
I don't know how you metro guys do it. I know most people prefer it because of the traffic jams. But apart from the metros, most people will use a car for such longer commutes. 35-40kms one way journey would take me to the next city and most people will take a car for such journeys because it would be mostly highways. So this point only matters for metro guys who already do long commutes on scooters, which would hardly be 10% of the audience.
Anyhow, back to the topic, first gen products will always be marred by some issue or other. Usually car companies increase prices when issues start getting sorted so there are pros and cons to being a first gen customer. I've been interested in buying an electrical delivery vehicle (like a small autorikshaw) for some time now and those can easily do 70-80kms on one charge. This is conservative number as companies claim 120-130kms range. Good thing for someone like me is that soon we will see prices drop for battery packs and especially retrofitting of these battery packs by other people for their use.
For people like me with short distances, very low electricity tariff and who is planning to shift to solar in near future EVs make the most sense. For metro dwellers where charging points will be scarce and distances a lot, not so much.
It is the reverse in metros like Bengaluru where most of the roads are narrow and there are infinite inside roads between A and B. We rarely take congested main roads on 2-wheeler. A 35km journey in peak hours takes 2-3 times in car when compared to the same on a bike or scooter. When there is heavy rain scooter/bike+rain jacket is way way way better than getting stuck in never ending traffic jams.
Cons are not worth buying specially this:

What is this: ? No regenerative braking.
Turn the scooter display on, enter security code in scooter's display and it will start. Not having regenerative braking is okay. What Ola did is a colossal mistake. They cut off power from motor when you press brakes and it takes a second or two for power to be back on. This will be a major issue when you brake for u-turn or near speed breaker and then you have to wait for a second for the motor to kick in. It will be worse for u-turn when you do brake-move-brake-move.

Last edited:
Back