Android Yuphoria v/s Redmi 2

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello!

after much deliberation, a friend has finally agreed to purchase his first smartphone, and we've chosen the above 2 phones as options. could someone please suggest which one out of the 2 would be a better purchase? going to be bought tomorrow or the day after.

thanks!

P.S. - usage would be casual everything, apart from the core phone-usage of calling and messaging; ie, casual multimedia usage, some light gaming, skype, using some banking and finance apps, etc.

Check out the Yuphoria review on Amazon. Most people have complained about the extreme heat being generated in the handset. And Micromax CC apparently has stated that it is perfectly normal.

I am using yuphoria since about a week now. It does get hot near the camera section while charging. At other times haven't noticed much heat. But there are some other issues as well.

Proximity sensor doesn't work as of now. Leads to random apps opening while on call. Don't know if fix is on the way.

Double tap to wake doesn't work as it should. Its a hit and miss. Sometimes works, most times doesn't.

When double tap to wake is on, sometimes screen doesn't light up during incoming call for the first 3-4 seconds.

Apart from these I have not faced any other issues yet. Overall its a decent phone for the price. cyanogen is a huge plus point too.

thanks @kuduku, @hotshot and @mrmash! purchase from SD is unlikely as the said friend has GC for amazon, and just found that it has launched there too today.

I am using yuphoria since about a week now. It does get hot near the camera section while charging. At other times haven't noticed much heat. But there are some other issues as well.

Proximity sensor doesn't work as of now. Leads to random apps opening while on call. Don't know if fix is on the way.

Double tap to wake doesn't work as it should. Its a hit and miss. Sometimes works, most times doesn't.

When double tap to wake is on, sometimes screen doesn't light up during incoming call for the first 3-4 seconds.

Apart from these I have not faced any other issues yet. Overall its a decent phone for the price. cyanogen is a huge plus point too.

i guess than redmi 2 prime should be a slightly better buy...thanks again for the feedback!

Having used Yuphoria - its a OK buy. Issues for me are only with proximity sensor and heating near camera section. I have no use for T2S or T2W.

Also, having used the crap that is MIUI in my Redmi 1S, I would live with the above issues and CM since these are occasional, while MIUI will hang each time you use the phone :p.

With 2gigs of RAM, Redmi 2 Prime should be OK with MIUI - lets see. Also, some speculations that MIUI7 will be more RAM friendly.

my friend already went bonkers hearing all this jargon of cyanogenmod, MIUI, vanilla android, etc. he won't be able to tell this from that. :D

have added redmi 2 prime in my amzn cart for him. was tough to take a call, but the feedback received here plus 4 hardware-differences (16GB int. storage, slightly better display, smaller screen-size, better low-light performance of the rear-camera) made me sway over to redmi 2 prime's side. also, the friend being a 'cost-nazi' was already miffed that amzn had increased yuphoria's price by 1k recently, while redmi 2p has launched for 7k, so another positive point for him.

would purchasing the onsite-protection cover be beneficial? service would be provided by xiaomi SC itself, so spending 800/- extra on the protection-cover would be wise?[DOUBLEPOST=1439237461][/DOUBLEPOST]UPDATE: ordered the phone. didn't buy the protection-cover. thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Having used Yuphoria - its a OK buy. Issues for me are only with proximity sensor and heating near camera section. I have no use for T2S or T2W.

Also, having used the crap that is MIUI in my Redmi 1S, I would live with the above issues and CM since these are occasional, while MIUI will hang each time you use the phone :p.

With 2gigs of RAM, Redmi 2 Prime should be OK with MIUI - lets see. Also, some speculations that MIUI7 will be more RAM friendly.
Sadly, its not ok.

I got Redmi 2 Prime day before and returned it yesterday.

Even with 2GB RAM, the app termination is still very aggressive. I loaded Cricinfo site in browser, went to desktop, opened light stuff like calendar, contacts, map (vector map, not satellite view) and went back to browser only to find it had already dumped the site and reloaded it. Going back to the maps, even loaded map view was dumped from memory and it too reloaded.

Same was the case with many other things.
Even with close to 800mb of free ram, MIUI was too aggressive in killing background apps. So the Prime has not fixed that issue. Frankly, the Yuphoria is easier to live with and has better day to day performance.
All the feature and surprisingly good camera on the Redmi 2 is not enough if you cannot do some basic multitasking on your phone.

Going by the threads on MIUI forums, it seems most people measure phone performance by amount of free RAM which leads to developers configure the ROM to aggressively terminate apps by default.
One negative about Redmi 2 (prime) is that kernel sources have not been released so stable custom (non-MIUI) ROMs are tough.

Yeah , I have redmi 1s and redmi note 4g . While i have no problems with miui till date , I actually like it , I'm waiting for a stable cm 12.1 or 12 for both .
With miui 7 being released in china 3 days back , lets see when our phones will get it .

Back