Zee out to 'save' Indian cricket

Zee out to 'save' Indian cricket​

New Delhi: Media giants Zee Telefilms Ltd on Tuesday announced a breakaway cricket series in the mould of the erstwhile Kerry Packer's Circus, parallel to the functioning of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

Revealing the details, Zee Telefilms Chairman Subhash Chandra said in the Capital that his company has set up an initial corpus of Rs 100 crore for the event, christened the Indian Cricket League.

It is also believed that some contracted and non-contracted players have already been signed up for the one of a kind event.

The first games will be in the Twenty20 format. There will be six teams in the league to begin with.

"We will start with the Twenty20 format keeping in mind the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa later this year, and one-day internationals will come later," Chandra said.

Chandra claimed that there will be four international players in each of the teams, while two Indian players and eight promising talents will make up the rest of each team.

Each team will be coached by an ex-India player. He also added that their mission was to create a talent pool of cricketers. "If BCCI wants to draw talent from this pool, they are most welcome."

The set-up will also create cricket academies headed by a National Director of Academies. Essel Group, partners with Zee Telefilms in the breakaway programme, will create a national talent reserve bench for Indian cricket as well.

All states will appoint cricket experts as talent scouts. They will identify talent in their respective areas.

He also said that the League is not being introduced as a conflicting event to the BCCI, but it will act as a support system to it.

The Indian Cricket League is expected to start somewhere between July-August, 2007.

Source:- Cricket News - Zee out to 'save' Indian cricket

^ LOL. But seriously, 20-20 is work in India.. that's the perfect lenght for a cricket match, who the hell is gonna sit for a day :p

But of course, Indians need to learn to play cricket even then :rofl:

I dont think u can train anyone by making them play 20-20. In such a format all that one has to do is slog. U simply cant get all out in such a short match. It does not train to handle pressure or to hold the pitch as u need to do in middle overs.

Seriously though, this will work and is a good way to discover new talent to replace the old horses on the existing team.

I really liked this move by Zee , only concern is will the players playing the cricket league get a chance to represent Indian Team.

As currently BCCI decides who will represnt Team India.

well some time bak there was similar plan by bcci....on terms of footbal like man united,real madrid........to make team on companies who will sponser them like britania,pepsi,coke etc......but the cricketers who r damn hungary of money see in every other company ads.. this idea failed on first place.........

but i guess hope they come up with different set of team..and bcci shd become bankrupt.......now they earn in billions..still they taking ages to start their website.......only when the poltical idiots come to know via site ads they will earn billion of stuff they will start..or else......deciding always in there chamber how to fight dalmiya camp......

zee being a pvt group will work much better since its cricket.....but if espn had done this stuff.....than it would had been even more better also many young ppl will get enough opprtunities...and no shewag sachin will use there place for 2-3 years non performance.....but they r trying with hockey hope so they atlest bring a new dhyanchand

Makes me wonder whether the real intention from Zee is to make a publicity stunt or are they really interested in this. ::))

Heck, this is India, why am I thinking anyone will do good for people here? :p

Zee are by far the most unprofessional outfit in Indian media. Zee TV is a circus. They dedicated like 15 hours to the aishwarya abhishek marriage and stuff. By far, the most unprofessional of all Indian news/entertainment channels.

Oh, did I mention the "specials" on the shilpa-gere kissy kissy? This is what you get when you put idiotic st stephens educated journalists in front of TV without letting them slog it out for a while.

l33t_5n1p3r_max said:
Zee are by far the most unprofessional outfit in Indian media. Zee TV is a circus. They dedicated like 15 hours to the aishwarya abhishek marriage and stuff. By far, the most unprofessional of all Indian news/entertainment channels.

Oh, did I mention the "specials" on the shilpa-gere kissy kissy? This is what you get when you put idiotic st stephens educated journalists in front of TV without letting them slog it out for a while.

Heh, let me tell you that all of India's major politics, bureaucracy, journalism, television, operas, schools etc. are one big tragedy. I see enough bullshit to make hundreds of movies every day. :D

Back