Graphic Cards Zotac 560 compatibility issue with Z87 mobo?

aasimenator

MCITP 2008
Reseller
Hi So i have this weird issue and I think that the GPU I have is not compatible with the motherboard or something, i cannot figure it out and i just need a confirmation / solution to the issue.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H bios ver. F9
Processor : Intel Core i5 4570
Cooler : DeepCool NepTwin
Memory : Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2 x 4GB
Power Supply : Corsair CS650M
Graphics : Zotac 1GB DDR5 GTX 560

Ok so except for the GPU everything else is new. Installed Windows 8.1 (on a open bench to test everything), assembled inside Corsair Graphite Orange 230T, installed the Zotac 560, connected everything up and it booted fine into Windows, allowed windows to download the drivers for the GPU, rebooted everything was fine.

Ran Windows Update, had over 90 updates available so left it running overnight, in the morning when i woke up, all updates were installed & required a restart, I restarted it was installing updates after which it rebooted and then I only the monitor blinked and the num lock was blinking as well. tried rebooting again but no luck, did all the basic troubleshooting (Bios reset, Memory swap, used single stick of memory instead of 2, disconnected all hard drives & the dvd rom etc) it would not boot.

I then disconnected the GPU from the PCI-E Slot and connected the cable to onboard graphics & it booted into BIOS, connected everything back up without the GPU and it was running fine. went into bios and selected pci slot 1 as the primary one instead of IGFX, save it restarted into bios checked if it was still on PCI Slot 1 and then turned it off connected the GPU back and turned it on, same issue no display, monitor just blinks as well as the num lock.

So i removed the DVI Cable from the GPU an connected it to the onboard graphics which it was running & i had display once it was booted back into windows i saw device manger still showed GTX 560 so i removed the dvi cable from onboard display & connected it back to the GPU and i had display working.
So right now this is what i have set it up as, I am using 2 cables (1 VGA & 1 DVI) both connected to the monitor, VGA is connected to onboard & DVI is connected to GPU, Once i turn on the PC it goes to VGA and then shows me the desktop but with no icons just the start menu and blank desktop, then i press the source button on the monitor to switch to DVI (560 GPU) and my desktop is ready to be used.

I have tried downloading the latest drivers from NVidia's website too, the one Windows Update has is 334 and the one on NVidia's site is 340, i've had no luck with either of them.
I have ran stress test on the GPU & CPU everything works & is stable. so not sure why this issue is happening. any ideas?

I also have a spare Zotac 9800GT that doesn't work either same problem, I also have Asus R9 290 and that works without any problem.

Have your tried the GPU in 2nd PCIe slot?
On your mobo, PCIe slot running at x16 is PCIe 3.0 slot, while PCIe slot running at x4 is PCIe 2.0.
GTX 560 has PCIe 2.0 interface. PCIe 3.0 is backward compatible, so this shouldn't be an issue. Still, test if there is problem with PCIe slot of your mobo. That said, running single GPU in x4 lanes is not recommended as data throughput is reduced.

^ Yes I did, i tried the GTX 560 in the second slot and the 9800GT i had both didn't work in the PCIe slots at boot. whereas the 290 just works fine in either of the slots.
maybe its just a zotac compatibility issue? i don't' have any other NVidia card to test with

Back