Storage Solutions 1 WD Black HDD Help Needed!!!

KingCupid

Disciple
I bought a 1 tb wd black HDD from a dealer of this forum. After arrival the HDD it is not detected and I made a RMA...and after a lot of hassle I got new HDD. This time HDD detected very well and works flawlessly. But After 1 moth suddenly my HDD crashed and Hard Dish Sentnel shows that the hard disk has 50% health and there is 3 bad sectors. I have another 1 tb wd black where my OS installed and it is working very fine without a single problem. My problem is that the defective hard disk disappearing after using 10-20 minutes or when I am trying to copy or paste any file on it. So I am not able to use it. I tested it with WD data life software...the result is as follows:

Test Option: QUICK TEST

Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0

Unit Serial Number: WD-WMATVxxxxxxxx

Firmware Number: 05.00K05

Capacity: 1000.20 GB

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: FAIL

Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

Test Time: 18:39:14, April 02, 2010

Please suggest me what to do..I have 5 years warranty left. Should I go for RMA?

I had a similar error code once on my WD drive. Try a full scan with the WD tool (not the windows based one, but the DOS based bootable ISO).

My error was fixed when I did the full scan. If that doesnt work, RMA is the only option. Hard disks these days are very unreliable !! :(

If it's disappearing when u try to copy files, it surely means a defective drive (must be overheating).

Back