Audio 2k headphones-Audiotechnica vs Sennheiser

surajspai

Disciple
Hello,
I know this topic has been discussed many times over,but i have a specific need.
I listen to all kinds of music,dont really care for too much thump.light bass is enough for me.

Main thing is,i am into diy amps and for this purpose,i need a decent pair of headphones.Main thing is,i want to be able to hear the difference between different opamps.
The amp i am going to use is the Pimeta V2 amp or the PPA amp,and i have quite a few opamps that i want to roll and try out.

Now,i already have the sennheiser HD598,which a cousin borrowed and dont want to spend too much on a new one because i will get my headphones back(dont know when though).
So,with a budget of 2k,i thought of these two-the sennheiser HD202 II-rs1900 and the audiotechnica T200-rs1524.

When i got my 598's,i would have been able to buy a AT m20 for the (2k) money,maybe a AD 300 for some 1k more,for a bit more,but prices have gone up since .

So which of the two HD202II or the T200 do i take?My only requirement is to hear detail and difference in the sound of different opamps.
The T200 is a good 350Rs cheaper than the HD202II so,thats very attractive too.is the HD202II worth the extra 350?
I am cheaping out here,but then,that because i already own the 598 and want to save a few bucks for the new one(mainly for petrol :D ) .

Going a few thousand rupees ahead of my budget,there is the Senn HD419 and the audiotechnica AD300.The audio technica is cheaper again at 3400rs,to the senn 3900rs.
So,do these really offer gains worth their cost being double of the previous two?how is the audio quality?

Kindly advise,
Thanks,
Suraj

Main thing is,i am into diy amps and for this purpose,i need a decent pair of headphones.Main thing is,i want to be able to hear the difference between different opamps.
i have serious doubt on the above mentioned 4 headphones u selected for the purpose. HD419 is totally out of the race ( i personally feel the lows are muddy in that).
you probably need noise cancellation to cut outer noise and concentrate on the sound produces by the cans while testing.
Have you considered AKG-K77 ? that should come under 2.5K these days. - just a suggestion, i will welcome to see what other think too.

since you are used to open can, you might love k77 which has entire different signature.

why not get something like porta pro.

i will work as your portable headset, when you get the 598 back.( its a good headphone on its own also )

Sorry to encroach in between. also in same confusion:confused: but with entry level portables @2k. AT SJ33 or Senn PX-80. both are priced similar. inclined more towards sj33 as they look better & reviews seem good. anyone with sj33 experience?

^^ Haven't heard either the PX80 or the AT SJ33. :(

@strategy - Good choice ! Yeah the Porta Pro is good enough to tell some differences between sources. Plus at 60 ohms it can benefit a bit from amping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why has your cousin borrowed your headphones, to check it out or listen to them.

Why do not you buy the cheapest headphones in the list you have mentioned and give that to him and take the 598 back.

Since you will be getting the 598 back, buy a cheapo headphone and bear with it. Why do you want to waste money. Use it to get better OPAMPs, etc.

After listening to 598 you feel you will be able to listen to the above mentioned headphones.

Just my suggestion :)

HD419 is totally out of the race ( i personally feel the lows are muddy in that).
Have you considered AKG-K77 ? that should come under 2.5K these days. - just a suggestion, i will welcome to see what other think too.

since you are used to open can, you might love k77 which has entire different signature.
Well,I dont really know how they perform,so,simply listed the cheapest i could find.
AKG K-77?links please!i could only find it on bajaoo for 2800+shipping.
Looks interesting.Apparently there is a mod too for it i can try when i bored.
why not get something like porta pro.
Yes,thought of that too,have to borrow a pair and audition them.
But,would it have as much of an err... 'closed' effect like a can?I dont really know if i am saying this right,as i dont know the tech-speak for audio.The 598 are open,but i like the plush feeling of covering my ears.
Why has your cousin borrowed your headphones, to check it out or listen to them.

Why do not you buy the cheapest headphones in the list you have mentioned and give that to him and take the 598 back.

Since you will be getting the 598 back, buy a cheapo headphone and bear with it. Why do you want to waste money. Use it to get better OPAMPs, etc.

After listening to 598 you feel you will be able to listen to the above mentioned headphones.

Just my suggestion

- Good choice ! Yeah the Porta Pro is good enough to tell some differences between sources. Plus at 60 ohms it can benefit a bit from amping.
Ok,so here's what really happened.returning from a 'phoren' trip,all i was carrying was a flimsy duffel bag.so,i gave my headphones to my cousin,so he could put it in his hard cased suitcase.we split at the airport,and he went to the US,while i came back home.now,its there with him,because i was an idiot and forgot to take it back :facepalm:

I dont know how much it'll cost to ship back:D ,and because he isnt returning till next february.so,i thought,why not go for a cheaper one(which probably costs as much as the courier fees)?

Yes,the cheaper headphones are not really worth it,but at the moment,all i have are a sound magic pl11.
Even Gautam of pristine not said i would just be wasting money if i got the T200/202II.

I am in mysore,but do pop in and out of bangalore every now and then.Location of shop?Is it the Whitefield one?thats far!

Also,do they allow auditions?

I am in mysore,but do pop in and out of bangalore every now and then.Location of shop?Is it the Whitefield one?thats far!
Also,do they allow auditions?
no idea about the Whitefield one.
i have seen AKG in Imagine, forum mall, koramangla, when i been there for checking out Denon stuffs year ago.
i will update you tomorrow, if you are lucky will confirm the pace when you can get that :)

Dont get me wrong ,at Rs 2K when you buy a AKG or Senn or AT or Beyer ....you end up buying the brand their overheads and import duty and not their sound. At 2K a Philips will give you much better Sound. Trust me. My two cents. If you go higher up the price chain its only then these Headphones do impart their sound quality. Its not their fault its our customs duty that does it.

Dont get me wrong ,at Rs 2K when you buy a AKG or Senn or AT or Beyer ....you end up buying the brand their overheads and import duty and not their sound. At 2K a Philips will give you much better Sound. Trust me. My two cents. If you go higher up the price chain its only then these Headphones do impart their sound quality. Its not their fault its our customs duty that does it.
That is true.I am going to wait a bit more,and get something atleast decent.but then again,i will need to make a call for what money i can put into non-use storage at the end of my need.

MATE interested in HD202II
i got the replacement like a week ago
just opened the box to check
its in pristine scratchless condition

Back