32" LCD TV - Philips 32PFL5609 or Samsung LA32C530?

kewl

Disciple
Hi all,
I want to buy a 32" LCD TV in Mumbai, budget is 35 K but can stretch it a bit to get the best picture quality.

The TV will be used mostly for watching movies (HD and non HD) off WDTV as well as viewing cable (currently SD, may go for HD in the future). Viewing distance will be 5 to 7 feet.

I have finalised two models - Philips 32PFL5609 and Samsung LA32C530 (5 Series)

Philips 32PFL5609 is only available through Philips Arena. The dealer is quoting a price of 35 K. Samsung LA32C530 is available in Vijay sales VSP of 39K

1. Need your help in choosing the model with the best picture quality suiting my requirements. Which model would you suggest?

2. What would be the best price and place for buying the suggested model in mumbai?

I think the prices being quoted to you are higher.
I got a quote for
Philips 32PFL5609 - 33K
Samsung LA32C530 - 34K

I think both of these are very good TVs. The phillips is a bit older model than Samsung C series though. I think you should go an personally check between them as i am also quite torn between them(but due to time constraints i am not able to check them out). As for the phillips i have heard nothing but superb reponse from its owners here.
Hope this helps

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree the Samsung C series is a more recent model than the Philips, that's why I am more inclined towards Samsung. Plus, the Samsung model is easily available in a number of shops in Mumbai, whereas the Philips is not.

Let me know where you got the low priced quotes from as I think these are very good prices for both the Samsung and the Philips models

The Philips LCD has an IPS panel and would look great in the showroom due to the factory calibrated settings - but black levels wouldn't be all that good compared to the Samsung C530/C550 which has a SPVA panel. The stock calibration wouldn't look good at the showroom but once you do it properly, it'd better the Philips display. In any case, both are some good displays but you seem to have been quoted some high prices as already pointed out.

Brought Samsung LA32C530 for 34K few months back, the rates have come down now, you'll get this around 30k & this is a GOOD CHOICE, believe me.

I'm pretty new here, but have done a lot of reading on recommendations for LCD TV's here. I finally took the plunge today and bought the Philips 32PFL5609 from Croma, Bangalore for Rs. 34000 all inclusive. If anyone from Bangalore wants to pick it up, they have 4 pieces left in their warehouse or so I saw on their inventory system. My choices were between the Philips, the Sony EX400 and the LG 20FR. The Sony was a little too expensive at Rs. 39000 while the LG 20FR did not have a USB port and was selling for Rs. 33000.

The Philips is probably the worst looking of the lot with the rounded edges and looked bulky compared to the Sony and the LG, but perfomance and price-wise it was the best. The only other place in Bangalore which has stock of the Philips is Dilip Electronics aka Philips Arena at Jayanagar, Bangalore. They quoted Rs. 35990 for the TV and refused to go any lower.

Thanks to all the users here for the reviews and recommendations. TV should be delivered tomorrow, just in time for the world cup :)

Apextwin and Desecrator,

Could you reply with the contacts of dealers (based in Mumbai) where I can get the low prices on both these models?

kewl said:
Apextwin and Desecrator,

Could you reply with the contacts of dealers (based in Mumbai) where I can get the low prices on both these models?
I am not aware of any dealers. Hell not even in my place. Mumbai peeps should help.

Alfa in Mumbai is one of the best grey markets in town though. You get awesome pricing there if warranty is not a concern. :)

@ripper: The 32EX400 is the Bravia which is similar to the models above in question. But is expensive compared to them.

Vikz said:
I'm pretty new here, but have done a lot of reading on recommendations for LCD TV's here. I finally took the plunge today and bought the Philips 32PFL5609 from Croma, Bangalore for Rs. 34000 all inclusive. If anyone from Bangalore wants to pick it up, they have 4 pieces left in their warehouse or so I saw on their inventory system. My choices were between the Philips, the Sony EX400 and the LG 20FR. The Sony was a little too expensive at Rs. 39000 while the LG 20FR did not have a USB port and was selling for Rs. 33000.

The Philips is probably the worst looking of the lot with the rounded edges and looked bulky compared to the Sony and the LG, but perfomance and price-wise it was the best. The only other place in Bangalore which has stock of the Philips is Dilip Electronics aka Philips Arena at Jayanagar, Bangalore. They quoted Rs. 35990 for the TV and refused to go any lower.

Thanks to all the users here for the reviews and recommendations. TV should be delivered tomorrow, just in time for the world cup :)
Did u try to bargain in Croma? I feel that SonyEX400 was quoted a bit high to you at about 39K. I thought that the 32Ex500 woud cost that much Though i really doubt there is any difference specs wise as EX400 is just Full HD with any kind of MOtion Flow/smoothening tech whereas the phillips one has 100mhz of it.
Bty Though did u compare it with the EX400 before buying?

@Kewl - I am in mysore as of now bro. Got 34K quote from a local dealer here :)

As i say always when buying a sony buy them in the grey market where they are times work out to be the cheapest tvs to buy.EX400 should cost around 30k to 32k.

@OP, leave all the contrast ratios and hz ratings aside and audition the TV's that you want to buy with your own content in the showrooms. One thing you won't be able to do in the showrooms is change the lighting to mimic your home viewing conditions. But that is not a big deal-breaker IMHO.

I own a Philips32PFL5609 and this is the very first TV that I fell in love with after hunting the LCD market for close to 2 years. After watching Avatar in Blu-ray [Best Blu-Ray pic qualitywise] I regret the fact that I didn't go for the 42 incher. The rates you have been quoted are on the higher side.

The only negative opinion I have of the Philips is the awesomely bad remote.

Bigbazaar has the ezone 0% margin sale going on till Jun-18. You can find 5609 for 30K on their website.

For icici cc holders, there is option to go for 9 month 0% emi as well.

Thanks

askids

Thanks. I found out the low price yesterday and ordered one! They don't have in stock locally so it will take around 20 days to deliver, but I am not complaining :)

Samsung series 5 was at 36.5 K yesterday and has again gone to the original price of 39 K, so this was a no brainer for me.

apexwin : the site is ezone.futurebazaar.com

Just a word of caution for people thinking of buying from ezone online - they don't deliver what they promise and have horrible customer service. Better stay away from them.

Got an email from ezone yesterday saying they cannot ship the Philips TV due to unavailability of the product. WTF! As an alternative they are offering the Sony 32 BX300 model at the same zero margin price (approx 30K) or a 5% gift coupon (approx 1500 rs). I do not think that the BX300 model is comparable to Philips 5609 so I am going to stay away.

This brings me back to the same question posted before: Is it possible to get the Philips 32PFL5609 and Samsung LA32C530 models in mumbai for 33-34 K? Please reply with dealer contacts.

Back