6-pin to 8-pin power connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why not just connect the 6-pin to the card and leave the two pins? It will work just as good as using a connector.

^^
Theoretically you should be able too. For both connectors only pins 1,2,3 carry the +12V rest are ground. But, I would still advice just get a converter, and play safe.

pciexpressac1.jpg

Get a converter. GPUs are expensive.

Same prob here!! No converter.. I tried with only the 6-pin and my pc hung twice!! :( I need this connector too!!

^^

Guys hold your horses for that 2K cable. Am going to Nehru Place this weekend -- can ask. How many would want one, IF it is possible. I easily got molex --> 6 PIN, so this should be possible too. No guarantees..! Will take a print - out. That place is a hub...!

I'm surprised that there's a debate over this. Just connect the 6-pin to the GPU.

The 6-pin converter to 8-pin will not increase the output of the PSU somehow. If it is going to work with the converter, it will just as well work without it. It's like the case with the 20-pin and the 24-pin power input to the motherboard. In any case, you will not fry ur GPU because of this. You may however end up with a low power warning. Further, please read the card manual to see if it operates in 6-pin mode.

@sidx19
I don't think the lack of converter is your problem, whatever it is. If your 6-pin is not giving enough power, a 6-pin to 8-pin will not help.

The situation in which the converter will be necessary is when the power supplied by one 6-pin connector is not enough for the GPU, in which case you need a converter which is 2 x (6-pin) to 8-pin. But you should have two 6-pin connectors on your PSU for that.

^^

See my post #6. Theoretically it is possible, but I could not find any substantial proof, that forcing a 6 PIN PEG into an 8 pin VGA power receptacle will work, unless of course it is a 6+2 PCI PEG, which has a break away section. The guys just want to play safe. Have you done this successfully, to recommend it 100% fail safe.

Though this raises a debate in my mind. A 6 PIN connector supplies 75W, and a 8 PIN PEG supplies 150W. How do 2 extra ground pins increase the throughput by another 75W...!

asingh said:
^^
See my post #6. Theoretically it is possible, but I could not find any substantial proof, that forcing a 6 PIN PEG into an 8 pin VGA power receptacle will work, unless of course it is a 6+2 PCI PEG, which has a break away section. The guys just want to play safe. Have you done this successfully, to recommend it 100% fail safe.

Though this raises a debate in my mind. A 6 PIN connector supplies 75W, and a 8 PIN PEG supplies 150W. How do 2 extra ground pins increase the throughput by another 75W...!

Have any SMPS manufacturers started shipping units with 8 Pin Pcie connectors?

asingh said:
^^

The 6-pin has two 12V pins, 2GND, one detector and 1 optional 12V. the 8-pin has an additional 12V and GND. I don't see the problem.

And No I haven't connected it myself, so in that spirit, you should get a new PSU with an 8-pin.

@sidx19
I don't think the lack of converter is your problem, whatever it is. If your 6-pin is not giving enough power, a 6-pin to 8-pin will not help.

The situation in which the converter will be necessary is when the power supplied by one 6-pin connector is not enough for the GPU, in which case you need a converter which is 2 x (6-pin) to 8-pin. But you should have two 6-pin connectors on your PSU for that.

I have one 6-pin connector.. and the card has a 8-pin input.. i've been given an 8-pin to 2x 6-pin converter with th card..!! wat do you suggest?? a molex to 6-pin converter??? and th PSU is a CM 500 extreme power.. card is a zotac gts 250!!

sidx19 said:
I have one 6-pin connector.. and the card has a 8-pin input.. i've been given an 8-pin to 2x 6-pin converter with th card..!! wat do you suggest?? a molex to 6-pin converter??? and th PSU is a CM 500 extreme power.. card is a zotac gts 250!!

Please scroll to the bottom and read this.

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

Now, I don't suppose a 6-pin to 8-pin will serve you any purpose. If your 6-pin has enough power, it should work just fine plugging into the card. If not, the adapter will not help. However, you can get a (2 x Molex) to 8-pin which can then supply the required power.

Or, simply buy a Molex to 6-pin, and use your 2 x (6-pin) to 8-pin supplied with the card. If you dont have the molex to 6-pin, I've got a few lying around.

matoind said:
PSU seems to be underpowered.

You can also visit How To Make An 8 pin PCI-Express Power Connector For Your Video Card | Geeked Up

I had used this method. It worked for me. But you need a MOBO connector from a spoilt PSU.

There is a dealer I know who is selling Molex to 8 Pin for Rs 500. But I had a defective PSU, so I used the method.

I tried this... but no good!! :( Pc hangs at the boot screen!! :( guess will have to wait for the molex to 6-pin converter!! :(

matoind said:
PSU seems to be underpowered.

You can also visit How To Make An 8 pin PCI-Express Power Connector For Your Video Card | Geeked Up

I had used this method. It worked for me. But you need a MOBO connector from a spoilt PSU.

There is a dealer I know who is selling Molex to 8 Pin for Rs 500. But I had a defective PSU, so I used the method.

That will only work if all the 3 of the 6-pin 12V rails have been supplied power, and adding two GND will do the job. It may not be the case with every PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back