A question regarding Aramex Shop & Ship and Ebay (US)

Its better to buy here only , iphone 4 factory unlocked is available from rampage at 35k something ,

even if you go through S&S aramex , 829+1500+100+10.5% = 2700rs [ am not sure ] !

Why 10.5%..??

Also, I just wanted to confirm if S&S charges have changed recently. I remember getting a phone shipped from USA which was under 500gms. I had to pay 450 for Aramex charges and around 1.x% custom duty+100 brokerage charge. I am aware that the duty was increased to 5.x% later on.

What are the current charges?

Well, buying from ebay UK and US and shipping it to india via aramex is not so easy (or so my experiences have been)

technically, you can add the aramex address to your ebay.in account and make it primary, then bid on ebay US, then pay via paypal. the problem is that your aramex address will show as 'unconfirmed by paypal' on the transaction page, and many (nay, most) sellers refuse to ship to unconfirmed address unless they are willing to take the risk. Paypal does offer partial seller protection for unconfirmed addresses e.g. when buyers claim they didn't receive item, but in case theres a dispute of theft (ie, unauthorised break-in into buyer's ebay account and shipping to third party's 'unconfirmed' address) paypal will 100% rule against the seller and he will have to bear the brunt.

I didnt know all this, and took the hint from TE about international ebay shopping and went forward and bought 3-4 items on ebay us and uk with my ebay.in a/c. Concurrently made aramex account in wifes name with woman's day discount coupon from aramex shop&ship facebook page.

1) a camera worth $300 on ebay us and gave aramex as shipping address. seller flatly refused since it was high value item. i got royally stuck not having a linked bank a/c and seller not being able to refund to source credit card directly due to some restriction by paypal on indian refunds. chronicled here. he eventually refunded via a manual transmit to me and i've got the funds back, thanks to the help and guidance from TE members :).

2) i thought ok, high value items maybe a problem with unconfirmed addresses, so lets try something cheaper. went for a orange san fransisco phone on ebay uk worth 86 GBP won on auction - addressed to my aramex uk - seller refused here too. same reason - unconfirmed address. again, went through refunds.

3) Used cdma blackberry 8830 on ebay US for 35 USD. now this was really a cheap one, but seller refused to take this much risk too. thankfully due to experiences of (1) and (2), i hadn't paid this guy and asked him upfront - i got an indian paypal, unconfirmed US address, will you ship? He said flatly no.

In all 3 cases, I had tried to argue with the sellers that ebay sellers must ship to any address buyer chooses on checkout, and gave them links as evidence, but they flatly refused. I was under the impression that since i had won a bid, the sale contract was binding, but thats not the case - if seller refuses, you cant do anything, and its best to move on rather than squabble through ebay resolution.

(the links i gave as evidence:

# : "We recommend against stating in your listing that you'll only ship to confirmed addresses. Since a confirmed address isn't a requirement for PayPal Seller Protection, this is an unnecessary restriction and might discourage a potential buyer."

# "To be covered, simply: * Sell eligible items on eBay and receive payments through PayPal. * Ship to the address shown on PayPal?s Transaction Details page. * Provide shipping documentation if a claim, chargeback or reversal arises."

#"You ship the item to the address listed on the PayPal Transaction Details page." ...)

I had called aramex about shipping the used blackberry, and they refused it! no used or refurbs! but..........with a caveat....they said that if i wanted to, i could take a chance, customs might or might not detain my box - if they didnt detain, aramex'll pass it to me, but if they do detain, then it'll be a problem (what sort of problem, he refused to elaborate)

^^ I bought several item through ebay.com and ebay.co.uk (~10). I never faced any problem with seller refusing to ship and all of those were high value purchases and worth more than 200$ each.

Make sure you Indian Paypal account is verified, then when you add the Aramex address it will automatically show up as confirmed - atleast this was my case.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also most of the item I bought was used - never faced a problem. But if you ask Aramex - they will refuse. Just be sure that the seller doesn't mention used/refurbished anywhere in the invoice or package.

I have bought 1 new and 4 used phones through aramex but there was no problem at all , one used phone came single with at&t sim card and nothing else , only used cell in the entire common card board box !!

archat68 said:
Make sure you Indian Paypal account is verified, then when you add the Aramex address it will automatically show up as confirmed - atleast this was my case.

HOW do you add aramex (UK and US) address to your INDIAN paypal? :-|

on my 'Add postal Address' page, I only get adding an Indian address as option - for both 'my address' and 'gift address'. Yes, my Indian paypal is verified.

sasa110 said:
Concurrently made aramex account in wifes name with woman's day discount coupon from aramex shop&ship facebook page.
I think your Aramex Address has your wife's name and credit card in your name. Is it so? If yes, then this might be the reason.

re: aramex and used items - yes, they told me on face that they didn't ship used items, but as i said, they also added the caveat which indirectly reads as "go ahead, we'll ship it for you".

mgdelhi said:
I think your Aramex Address has your wife's name and credit card in your name. Is it so? If yes, then this might be the reason.
yes, different names indeed on my ebay / cc / paypal and shipping address (wifes name). OUCH!

sasa110 said:
HOW do you add aramex (UK and US) address to your INDIAN paypal? :-|

on my 'Add postal Address' page, I only get adding an Indian address as option - for both 'my address' and 'gift address'. Yes, my Indian paypal is verified.
You cannot add a non Indian address to an Indian PayPal account. But when purchasing through eBay you have the option to enter your US/UK addresses.

Regarding sellers not shipping to unconfirmed addresses, IMO it mostly depend on the sellers. I have made payments on eBay for fellow TE members and since the names didn't match, it came as unconfirmed but almost all sellers (~6) shipped the item without any problem.

Anyway as mgdelhi said the names should be a perfect match for the address to display as confirmed.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

^ thanks mates. so new aramex a/c it is - this time using the for women only discount coupon in my name ;)

just for everyones info - i used the discount coupon IND4198627 (obtained from shop&ship fb page) to open new aramex a/c. though they claimed this coupon was applicable only for women signing up, yet i managed to get it for myself without having to lose my manliness on the registration page.

my total damages from ebay/paypal misadventure so far -> 30 USD + 16 USD + 5 USD for refund charges and forex commission = 50 USD or around 2200 INR gone, no purchases made so far. using my wife's name (supposedly this is the problem) in the shipping address turns out to be as costly an affair as she herself is ;).

^^ no need to open a new account. An email to Anuradha Iyer with the name change request would have done the trick. She is very co-operative and I got my account holder's name changed in this way.

hey ppl . any idea about how much extra would i be charged by customs + shipping ocharges of sns and brokerage etc .

i want to order a graphics card about 250$ .

buddingwhizkid said:
hey ppl . any idea about how much extra would i be charged by customs + shipping ocharges of sns and brokerage etc .

i want to order a graphics card about 250$ .

16% custom duty plus 10% tax is there on graphic card so you would most probably be charged 2000 +100 +590=2700 for customs and shipping(approximately).

if the package of card is heavy, add additional 400 bucks to the total cost.

hmm so i am getting an new 6950 2gb for 260 usd + 3k = 14500 with no warranty .

i think its better to go for 16k with 3 year warranty from india then .

by the way source of 16% and 10% ?

though i dont understand why this extra 10% tax ?

Fahrenheit said:
$18/kg for shipping + customs
lol , as if i dint know that . :p

Don't think. Its a no brainer at 16k with local warranty :p

buddingwhizkid said:
hmm so i am getting an new 6950 2gb for 260 usd + 3k = 14500 with no warranty .

i think its better to go for 16k with 3 year warranty from india then .

lol , as if i dint know that . :p
Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

buddingwhizkid said:

source is aramex, had sent an email to them about 2 weeks back

asking about duty on graphic card. 10% is surcharge on customs duty.

Off late ARAMEX has been screwing up things. I purchased a mobo and memory from Ebay.com. The seller shipped thru UPS and the weight mentioned was 2 lbs. As soon as it reached Aramex NY , the weight of the box magically became 5.3 Lbs and got labelled as TOY. And all this in spite of my sending constant emails regarding the same to shop and ship mumbai office. I have asked for an explanation for the same and yet nothing has come forth. Lets see, if this persists then I might have to shift my buying through some other sources

Back