about setting up wifi

bsd

Disciple
hi guys i am thinking of buying wifi router for my Airtel broadband , existing modem is Huawei MT880. my question is what are the step for setting up a router, do i have to enter any settings, and which is the best wifi router for 1500rs.

The setting up is super easy. In most case, you will have to insert the LAN cable from your modem to the WAN port of Wifi router. Depending on what router you use, you might be required to input the IP Address, netmask, dns, etc . manually or run router setup executable to auto-detect the same. This is usually explained well in printed setup guides that comes with a router. I would recommend ASUS WL-520gU Wireless Router which costs about 2k.

Cheaper ones from Netgear or Belkin are also there. Cannot recommend any as I had bad experience with Belkin and not used Netgear.

I have taken a Netgear g type router today. Installation is pretty simple. connected the lan cable to router from Modem (instead of the PC). connect router to the PC or laptop with another lan cable (one cable came with new router). Note that second cable is required only for the initial setup). After turning on all (modem, router and the PC) insert the installation CD and setup in the PC. It will ask to provide a name (identification ) for the Wifi connection and a password. After that it will automatically install the router.

After that you can disconnect the lan cable from router to PC and turn on the Wifi of the PC (laptop). It will show the wifi with name which you have given during the setup. just click on it and will ask the password. done. you are connecte....

forgot to mention the price of the router. I paid Rs. 1350 at SP road Bangalore.

ok guys ,Bought NETGEAR WGR614 FOR 1450rs. installed easily by myself and i set the security to WPA2 type is this security type good. what are the other thing i look out for proper use of WI-FI. thanks

Back