Advice on Kindle

rohitjain

Disciple
the prices of kindle have dropped to $139. guess now is the time to finally own one... how do we go about buying it from the US ? also how does it compare to the olive pad ? there are even rumors of a desi e-book reader for $35
please advice

Yes you can get the Kindle at $139.
Not to forget you need to add customs + postage + service charges if you want to get it from those "US to India" sites. Kindle as always (as of now) has good reviews. No idea about the olive pad!!

Yes there is a desi ebook reader. But i doubt you get it at $35 as you mentoined. No way!! The retailing price appx 10k Rs. Decent enough and you have after sales service. Check this Infibeam Pi: India's First eBook Reader, Digital Reading Device India - Infibeam.com is the desi ebook reader.

Also very recently released other desi ebook readers. Price starts from apprx 11K Rs or so. Availablity from Sept 2010 onwards. Check this All Wink Ereaders
Hopefully we are going to see lot of desi ebook readers in the market soon.

you can simply buy it directly from amazon who will ship it to india. but, there will be a additional cost of 20$ international shipping plus a custom deposit which will be used to pay the customs duties charged (about 60$). If they dont have to pay this custom, then this amount will be latter refunded. you can use your indian credit card on amazon so payment will not be a issue

and ofcourse, as kenkanya pointed out, you can opt to get it from third party sites which will ship to india for a fee. icc world is one and they gave me a quote of about 9.5 k for it.

I have already ordered the new kindle , the total amount it cost me was 216$ , which includes 56$ import duties . You can order directly from amazon . Shipping though will be on or before 8th September .

how do you compare the kindle v/s the B&N Nook ? i have heard that the kindle cannot read .pdf files. also there is no provision for expansion of memory. both these issues are tackled by the Nook

Back