Airtel 2G pack - Pathetic GPRS only connection

comp@ddict

Skilled
So I have an Airtel Mobile connection, again. And the max download speed I get is 4KB/s, that's less than half of GPRS's speed (full signal bar).

EDGE is nowhere to be seen. Is there something I can do about this?

Earlier on my vodafone edge connection j used to get speed like 28-35 Kbps. Now the speeds have gone down to 10-16 kbps. Too many users I assume. :mad:

I never got 25-30 KBPS its always been 10 kbps or below for me on vodafone edge ... AFAIK they are doing this to promote their 3G.... same is the case on aircel ..... from this thread i guess there is no option but to ditch these mainstream providers and switch to something like BSNL or MTNL for data services

Mainly everything depends on your area, if the network is good in your area then speed should come properly, I'd humbly suggest you to try Tata Docomo if there is strong network connection, you'll be surprised by the speeds.

either you are using adsl broadband or you are using 3g data card.

this speed is simply not possible on 2g under edge.

edge is limited to 236 kbps.

GPRS - 88kbps - 88/8 = 11KB/s

EDGE - 236kbps - 236/8 = 29.5KB/s

There you go. We've got a couple thousand users in this entire 60KM radius maximum using internet, nowhere near city or big town standards. And 3G speeds here are like 403 KB/s on AIRTEL.

Docomo too gives 4-5KB/s only. The signal strength is full.

So, I'm not unhappy I'm not getting EDGE speeds. I'm unhappy I'm not getting proper speeds of a nearly 15 year old standard for which I'm paying every month (RC 98 for 1GB)

Its being done to promote 3G re. Even Vodafone has joined with giving slow speeds on EDGE. Only Android App Store is fast. Any other site, slow.

comp@ddict said:
So I have an Airtel Mobile connection, again. And the max download speed I get is 4KB/s, that's less than half of GPRS's speed (full signal bar).

EDGE is nowhere to be seen. Is there something I can do about this?

even on edge website hardly open for me. is there any good or promising in airtel no thats why it is failtel.

Edge is supposed to giv 20-22 KB/s, there were speed tests conducted, when these RC98 plans were first introduced. Sad, sorry state of affairs in our country indeed.

In Bangalore my friends Airtel GPRS was super fast. Pages were loading almost instantly as in 3G. Never checked the speed though but it was pretty fast.

I dont know on what factors the speed depends. In my old house my vodafone used to give good speed, but now after we moved to another house the speed is very low. It is almost unusable. The new house is just 200Mts from the old house. The only difference I found was signal strength 5 bars compared to 4 bars.

Back