Aliexpress.com - Feedback Thread

What was the item . Did it contain some kind of Radio ?
They will write you a letter , wait for it for at least 19 DEC and if you receive no letter then on 20 Dec Visit Customs clearing office/FPO in Mumbai if possible or send them a letter that it is for personal use and no license is required .

Another thing that can be done is call IPS Tracking Helpline 1800-11-2011 and ask them , they are helpful and will confirm the exact issue

No it wasn't anything to do with any radio but yes it is electronic item mp4 video player. I checked on internet and in many cases the customs sends the package to local post office in next few days and then I might in most cases will have to pay duty. Have told my dad to keep an eye on the postman.
I will have to play wait game for next 2-3 days for now.
Currently I am not sure whether I should contact that toll free number or not. If yes then I will do it tomorrow only. I tried just now but the call even refused to go through.

No it wasn't anything to do with any radio but yes it is electronic item mp4 video player. I checked on internet and in many cases the customs sends the package to local post office in next few days and then I might in most cases will have to pay duty. Have told my dad to keep an eye on the postman.
I will have to play wait game for next 2-3 days for now.
Currently I am not sure whether I should contact that toll free number or not. If yes then I will do it tomorrow only. I tried just now but the call even refused to go through.
My package was not stuck in customs due to regulations but they just didn't cleared it for 7-8 Days . It was a low value (25$) but urgent item , i called them and within 2 days it reached post office for delivery . Its a hit and a miss thing . I don't think calling would have any effect though . You can wait for a few days if it is not that important .

So should I or should I not contact on that phone number ? Mine is also low value less than 25$ but I am Not sure what the seller has put on the package and whether the customs will believe it or not.
I have proof like credit card statement, Aliexpress page screenshot invoice to show real value of the item.

My item got delivered today. This was the 2nd package sent out by the seller on 30th Nov. The first one is still stuck at received from customer for last 1.5 mths.

Item sent to domestic location, my local post office I presume. Should get it next week.
Still unsure what customs will be charged.

ITEM n° RU481729226CH new search
Local Date and Time Country Location Event Type Extra Information
11/11/2013 3:10:00 PM SWITZERLAND SINGAPORE Receive item from customer (Otb)
11/11/2013 3:10:00 PM SWITZERLAND SINGAPORE Receive item at office of exchange (Otb)
11/11/2013 3:10:00 PM SWITZERLAND SINGAPORE Insert item into bag (Otb)
11/11/2013 3:14:00 PM SWITZERLAND SINGAPORE Insert item into bag (Otb)
12/6/2013 11:50:00 AM INDIA DIMC NEW DELHI 110002 Receive item at office of exchange (Inb)
12/6/2013 3:55:00 PM INDIA DIMC NEW DELHI 110002 Send item to domestic location (Inb)
12/8/2013 12:57:00 PM INDIA MUMBAI AIR Send item to customs (Inb)
12/12/2013 3:13:00 PM INDIA MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Record item customs information (Inb)
Retention reason : Articles importation subject to restrictions import- license
12/12/2013 3:13:00 PM INDIA MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Return item from customs (Inb)
12/14/2013 2:51:00 PM INDIA MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Send item to domestic location (Inb)

But in my case if you see the status of my shipment I am pretty sure I will be charged customs.
If it's a tablet or something, it can never escape customs, they ignore small, cheap items..

Delhi and bangalore customs are the worst, they rip open every package, be it via post, or by dhl/fedex.. My recent dhl/fedex packages from hopshopgo and mp4nation.net have all come in sealed pristine condition with customs evaluation done at correct rates and values..

@prateekS

It is a 5" screen MP4 video player, not really a tablet but something which has a screen and i am 100% sure that would have attracted customs. So i am prepared for that, Just have to see how much it comes to. Will report back after i receive the package. Hope it is not too high.

@prateekS

It is a 5" screen MP4 video player, not really a tablet but something which has a screen and i am 100% sure that would have attracted customs. So i am prepared for that, Just have to see how much it comes to. Will report back after i receive the package. Hope it is not too high.

Mostly customs will be there, anything with a screen is a red flag.. Especially if the product is unknown and isn't there on their catalogue..

@prateekS

You can request the Postmaster (written request) to send back the item to Customs for re-evaluation of duty with your supporting documents. It will be better if you can go to the FPO and show your documents personally (after your item is sent back through post office). But I'd suggest you to go through this only if duty charged is high.

You can request the Postmaster (written request) to send back the item to Customs for re-evaluation of duty with your supporting documents. It will be better if you can go to the FPO and show your documents personally (after your item is sent back through post office). But I'd suggest you to go through this only if duty charged is high.

The thing is that i am in Pune and the thing has been ordered to my Mumbai address so my dad will be receiving the package. I have told him to call me as soon as the postman arrives and tell me what duty he says. The thing is that i have to also see the cost involved to send back the package for re-evaluation and all because if my dad cannot go and manage all this, i will have to come to Mumbai and that is not feasible as travelling itself will cost me over 1000 Rs and that makes no sense to do. The package price is not that high to warranty my travel.

seller has been inactive for sometime. maybe hez trying to sell some items at good price to get some ratings. besides aliexpress has buyer's protection. I bought one. lets c how it goes.[DOUBLEPOST=1387130500][/DOUBLEPOST]price revised to $245.00 now.

Last edited:
seller has been inactive for sometime. maybe hez trying to sell some items at good price to get some ratings. besides aliexpress has buyer's protection. I bought one. lets c how it goes.[DOUBLEPOST=1387130500][/DOUBLEPOST]price revised to $245.00 now.

With aliexpress i would suggest properly check a seller's feedback and then buy the product. how many orders he has got and feedback replies. In many cases people do not leave any details in the feedback but just give 5 stars, i believe such show as "Excellent" and that's it but some people write detailed replies.
Also even if it is bit expensive than the cheapest option available, buy from a supposedly reputed seller.

UPDATE: My order which was shipped on 4th December via Singapore Mail now shows status as "Dispatched Overseas" on 15th December. So, it took them 11 days to dispatch it.

Got a call from the post office near my home. Got slapped with a duty of 871 Rs + 30 Rs some postal charge.
That is pretty high duty for the price i paid for the item. :mad:
Will try to never buy electronics from aliexpress now. I am not even sure if the item is proper and works without any issues or not. I am sure they evaluated the value more than what i paid and probably disregarded the invoice value, no idea if the seller even put a value on the package or not.
No idea what the postal charges they have put.
For me trying to dispute these charges is totally futile as this will involve spending more money than 901 Rs which i am being charged and after that too there is no guarantee that it will be reduced.
The post master person on phone told me that if the parcel was still with customs and you would have got to know the duty, you could have talked to them there itself and put forward your point for reduction but since we do not do all this, it is sort of futile to talk to us on this.
Anyways, you learn something everyday.

Quite a harrowing experience there man :(.

However, don't let this deter you from buying from the site in future, barring electronics of course!

Yes i realize any electronics will be treated as high value, especially something which has a screen. So yes no electronics now, may be mobile cases etc is ok. Or buy from reputed websites or amazon global or something where i know how much i will actually pay rather than this uncertainty.
Many people here have been lucky to escape duties with phones and what not. May be Mumbai customs are more vigilant.

Back