CPU/Mobo AMD A8-3850 worth an upgrade?

Altair

Skilled
Guys is AMD's latest APU worth the upgrade over AMD Phenom X6 1055T. I am planning to buy a mobo and ram for X6. Should i get that or sell it and go for this?

Or buy a mobo which has AM3+ support and later go for Bulldozer? :S

If you are ok with performance of an Athlon II X4 and a Radeon 5570, then AMD A8 is good enough. But if you are planning to buy a dedicated GPU, plus you need a future proof upgrade path with very good CPU performance, then go with an AM3+ socket.

A8-350 proccy performance comes nowhere near a 1055T, and things totally changes when you further OC the 1055T. A8-350 is for budget and power conscious users, with above avg multithreaded performance with a budget dedicated GPU like gfx performace in a budget. If you already have a 1055T, get a Am3 mobo, if you not gonna upgrade in 2~3 yrs, or am AM3+ mobo if you plan on upgrading proccy in about 1~2 yrs.

Dont do anything now... Wait for the bulldozer processor to get released and then upgrade to bd... By then 970/990X budget boards would also be up for grab in indian markets... If you have any alternate computer to use then i would advice you to sell your current rig, i am saying this coz if you would sell 1055t along with the motherboard now you would be able to get good resale value but if you would sell this combo after the launch of bd processors then you would get pennies for the combo you have right now... :)

Upgrade? That is a huge downgrade! Not only in terms of performance, but you'll also be stuck with the FM1 socket.

What is your current config? IMO stick with your current config. Even if you're thinking of upgrading to Bulldozer, I say you should get the motherboard with the processor when you decide to get it.

My current config is:

Intel E2160(i know it's a bottleneck but anyways)

Asus P5NSLI

Sapphire HD5770

^^all the above are for sale in the member's market. I already have a x6 proccy in my hand i was think to sell these^^ and what i will get+cash for the new upgrade. A Motherboard,DDR3RAM and a new GPU(not now waiting for 7xxx series).

So,now um...What to do? back off from the sale and sell X6 instead or sell these and but a new AM3+ compatible mobo?

See if you can live without a computer for few months then sell both the rigs and if you have a good cellphone to keep you connected to the online world... But if you dont have a good cellphone then keep the dualcore rig and sell the powerful one which can help you to get good resale value...

Aah I thought you already had an X6 rig.

I would also suggest you to stick to the E2160 if you can for now. If you just have to upgrade now, then get an AM3+ mobo so you can upgrade to Bulldozer when it comes out.

Btw, me too just upgraded from E2180 to i5 2400 the other day. :D

^^Congrats....you must be facing a hell of an upgrade from e2180 to i5 2400...:D

I am a complete noob on this what difference does chipsets make as u said wait for 970/990X,in what respect does it helps? and others like 880/890 etc?

Help me out on this^^

X6 and Fusion .... 2 very different ballgames ... one is an APU with built in graphics for the mainstream users ... X6 is for power users. It all depends on what you're looking for .... mainstream performance with casual gaming = APU (performance will come later with BD cores coming out in APU form) Pure performance = X6 now and BD later.

@Altair,

990X/970 chipset is specially created by AMD for budget users... And i have adviced you to wait for the 970/990X budget boards coz some new bulldozer features like Turbocore 2.0 and some power saving features are only supported on 970/990X/990FX chipset motherboards. For more info about scorpion platform you can check the bulldozer discussion thread that i have created in cpu and mobo section.

Back