ati 5750

seagate 1tb hdd

The Intel specs are;

Intel core i5-760

Corsair 4 gb ddr3 ram

Asus P7H55D-M-EVO
seagate 1tb hdd

ati 5750

Which of them will last for a solid 5years?,it'll be used for aftereffects,gaming,programming,photoshop.
Is the above upgradeable after 3yrs??
Is a 600w smps enough?
what component can be avoided from the above if budget becomes a issue?

5yrs can be crazy but you know abt fathers!

All you suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance:)

Going with AMD may let u upgrade to Bull Dozer core.

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

The i-5 seems has a upper hand in gaming and photoshop.

Core i-5 760 ~ 9.7k

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 ~ 6.3k

Corsair XMS 4GB Kit 1600MHz ~ 4.5k

Seagate 7200.12 1TB ~ 2.8k

Zotac GTS450 1GB GDDR5~ 7.5k

Corsair VX450 ~ 3.5k (This PSU would suffice for this config and a few minor upgrades like few more HDDs or a slightly more power consuming GPU)

Total: 34k-35k

DarkAngel said:
Going with AMD may let u upgrade to Bull Dozer core.

The i-5 seems has a upper hand in gaming and photoshop.

Core i-5 760 ~ 9.7k

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 ~ 6.3k

Corsair XMS 4GB Kit 1600MHz ~ 4.5k

Seagate 7200.12 1TB ~ 2.8k

Zotac GTS450 1GB GDDR5~ 7.5k

Corsair VX450 ~ 3.5k (This PSU would suffice for this config and a few minor upgrades like few more HDDs or a slightly more power consuming GPU)

Total: 34k-35k
Most probable that Bulldozer will finally have a Socket change with a probable AM3+ stepping in and AM3 processors will go into it but not AM3+ into an AM3 setup, this is just a rumor so let us see. :S

AMD Discloses Bobcat & Bulldozer Architectures at Hot Chips 2010 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3937/amds-fall-refresh-new-phenom-ii-and-athlon-ii-cpus-balance-price-and-performance

please read through completely one of these pages has it

Apart from Aftereffects and Photoshop, the extra 2 cores on AMD X6 won't help you much. However, if those two are on your most used apps list then going for AMD X6 is advised. Specially Aftereffects will give your good boost with extra cores and extra memory.

Ideally, I think X6 will fit your needs better... with the money saved from AMD proccy and mobo, you can invest in more RAM and bit better graphic card (5770 or better yet GTX460). Overclocking X6 1055T will give you performance at par with Core i7 proccy at much lesser cost.

On the other note, currently it's not clear if bulldozer core will have easy upgrade path for current motherboards. Not that it's confirmed for Intel as well, that current LGA1366 based board will be able to house Sandy Bridge or not, but it seems it might. Frankly speaking, current crop of processors are good enough to last 3+ years if the components are chosen wisely. I'm using Q6600 + P35 board with 6gb of ram since last 3 years and I'm pretty sure that even when Sandy Bridge comes I can hold on to my current config till prices settle on new processors, giving me good opportunity for next upgrade. The only upgrade I've made in last three years was adding 2GB ram every year (started with 2GB, then added another 2 and then another 2) and graphic card (GF 6600GT to HD 3870 Toxic to HD 5770).

Invest in at least 550 watt PSU (Corsair VX550 or Coolermaster RP-550), but for better upgrade window go for at least 600+ watt PSU... Corsair TX650 or similar good quality PSU. (and I don't mean CM Extreme Power 600).

As for HDD, buy a 250GB 7200rpm drive along with your 1TB drive. No specific reason, but ideally, use 250gig for system and applications/game installation and 1TB for your other storage. That way, after the main installation you can take image snapshot of your system drive for easy restore in future without having to go through the whole ordeal of re-installing OS and applications and setting things up.

intelfanboy said:
@darkangel, why do you guys prefer gigabyte over asus. From my experience asus produces great quality stuff?!
Simple - ASS ( After Sales Services ) - RMA And stuff - handled by Rashi Pheripherals

Rashi Pheripherals is THE $#!7

If RMA - Then forget about the mobo for 4 months or so . Before they even care to contact you :p

These days views on ASUS RMA have been quite mixed - most of the ROG boards are getting RMAed pretty fast and without any sloppy receptionists saying "aaj aao , kal aao , ek hafte ke baad" etc. etc

BTW - ASUS makes great mobos - Agreed - AFAIK The USA RMA department is pretty slick , where as the Gigabyte's RMA has issues in the US

l33t said:
Simple - ASS ( After Sales Services ) - RMA And stuff - handled by Rashi Pheripherals

If RMA - Then forget about the mobo for 4 months or so . Before they even care to contact you :p

These days views on ASUS RMA have been quite mixed - most of the ROG boards are getting RMAed pretty fast and without any sloppy receptionists saying "aaj aao , kal aao , ek hafte ke baad" etc. etc

BTW - ASUS makes great mobos - Agreed - AFAIK The USA RMA department is pretty slick , where as the Gigabyte's RMA has issues in the US
+1 to post, but man you see what is happening with this n00b who ended up blaming TE for all his memories, Dark Angel has had experience so wants to avoid such issues so maybe looking from this POV also helps. No doubt ASUS boards even the basic EVO series is very good ( experience from current ownership ), it isinn't much help if your thing is ****ed and left High and Dry for 4 months, it is like the defence kick backs Russian hardware is very rugged but when it gets ****ed we need spares and they are sorely short in supply so can be a future handicap, just my POV :tongue:

To tell you the truth, at the speed that Intel & AMD are churning out CPU's I don't think even a Core i7 920 would have a lifecycle of 5 years... If I am correct the Best general purpose CPU's money could buy in 2005 were Pentium D or Pentium Extreme Edition !!! 3 years maybe 4 is something that you can expect till the next big thing (like the Core i series) comes up... Anyways my suggestion would be to stick with Intel... Comparison of the Cpu's is below...

^ Clock for Clock, Intel CPUs are definitely faster... but even ardent Intel user like me can see that where more cores count for performance boost (Aftereffects, Photoshop and similar multi-core aware softwares) AMD is offering better value. Even better, a moderate overclock on the X6 will match it's Intel competition for much lesser cost. From the money saved, OP can invest in more or faster memory (the apps he mentioned aftereffects and photoshop love as much as available memory along with more cores). There is no denying that Intel has currently the best CPUs when it comes to pure performance and power efficiency, but with little tweaking you can get similar performance while saving money to invest in better components for overall better system which can very well last a solid 3+ years.

When I built my Q6600 system, I had thought that I'll be jumping on complete upgrade bandwagon within 2 years... however, more than 3 years now and I can still get some serious performance out of this rig and definitely for another year for sure. Next year, based on the performance numbers on Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer, I'll decide which upgrade path I'll take. but looking at the current market state and prices, I would stick to my assessment of X6 purchase.... it just makes better sense from value perspective in long run.

I too own an Intel based machine but with my use of Solid modelling and stuff I can definitely say that more cores, more RAM and better Graphics will definitely help you in squeezing the best performance. I use my machine for Solid modelling and all and I can definitely say it works waaaaaay faster than machines with lesser cores, less ram and no graphics.

So I guess iGo's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Also make sure to invest in good PSU for peace of mind and scalability. Plus regarding your father making you wait for 5 years for an upgrade, dont think too much into that. You will be using this machine for some stuff that can make you lots of money ;). I bet two or three freelancing projects and you have nuff money for an upgrade :p

intelfanboy said:
So it is the phenom?!!

Its really up ur need , Intel I5 750 for nice FPS in games .

for 16K AMD phenom 1055T + 880G/USB3 based mobo ! decent config ! worth the money

Intel always leads every year no Doubt but AMD gives nice Best Bang for ur Bucks !

Guys which will have a better life time am3+ or 1156?

I'm not considering the 1366 as its highend and the prices will be way to high!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

What shall i remove from my config if any budget issues come up?

Under 30-35K,

we cannot fit new i7 rig.

AMD X6 1055T is great VFM anyways imho in that budget.

Your AMD config looks fine.

The user feedback on Newegg and reviews for the Pro/USB3 model looked good- so get the USB3 one preferably.

Get the XMS3 1600 kit preferably, comes with SPD data for 1333 CL8 iirc- avoid the 1333 kit and 1066Mhz no way.

See if you can get at least a HD5770 instead of the HD5750.

PSU- i will say a VX450 maybe ok for now but try and get a VX550, the new entry level PSU for powerful rigs imho (just like the VX450 was a year back or so)

And about 5 years and your father-

You may say it's the most powerful PC under 35K and leave it at that.

3-5 years down the line, i think you will need to upgrade everything anyways and hopefuly will be earning well enough to afford it all. :)

intelfanboy said:
@darkangel, why do you guys prefer gigabyte over asus. From my experience asus produces great quality stuff?!

l33t said:

ALPHA17 said:
+1 to post, but man you see what is happening with this n00b who ended up blaming TE for all his memories, Dark Angel has had experience so wants to avoid such issues so maybe looking from this POV also helps. No doubt ASUS boards even the basic EVO series is very good ( experience from current ownership ), it isinn't much help if your thing is ****ed and left High and Dry for 4 months, it is like the defence kick backs Russian hardware is very rugged but when it gets ****ed we need spares and they are sorely short in supply so can be a future handicap, just my POV :tongue:

I have mentioned this at quite a few places and i repeat my request-

If you'll or anyone you'll know has any rma issues with ASUS products, please start a thread promptly.

We can try and take it up with ASUS India. I am sure they highly value their customers/fans. :)

Also, i hope you'll took note of this-

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/asus-unveils-e-l-i-t-175469.html

Thank you guys you're all welcoming , warm and helpful . Kudos to all of you who have replied and tried to help.

My question now is :

What can i remove from my amd config if budget becomes an issue?

I would not suggest removing anything. Infact you can tell your father about compatibility issues and ask him for a couple grand more. Frankly the components listed will work really well together and leaving out even a single thing will reduce performance by leaps and bounds especially for your usage. Also you can try the "reliable" TE dealers. Not all are reliable for a good deal, hassle free experience, timely delivery, convenience, etc.etc.etc.

Mentioning your location would also help as members from that area can help. I would also suggest you to edit the thread title to include your location.

Guys i live in chennai, my components will mainly be sourced from delta or supreme. If any other altenatives are available please do suggest. I've decided to go for a 600w smps. Are zebronics smps good? any probles with them?

corsair i would suggest and not ze******** and u can also look for high ending fsp or seasonic smps in 600 watt..... try it..... best luck..

Back