Android with good camera < 25K ('ve access to Amazon)

khaleelda1

Disciple
Hey guys!

Need to zero in on a android with good camera (both still and video) within 25K. Phone will be used mostly outdoors, so other must-have requirements are bright enough screen, juicy battery and gps.

1. Q: Budget?
25K...would not like to exceed

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

Any

3. Q: Preferred display type?
Brighter the better.

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

NOPE!! open to all. (recent experience with spice and cube has been good)

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

this is the deciding criteria, the video must be 1080p prefereably at 30fps without any jittering/jerking/motionblur/overprocessing.
and atleaast outdoor daylight stills should be crisp and colorful (too much to ask for??)

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
All the usual ones. GPS and A-gps, and amongst the sensors, preferably it should have a compass sensor.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
Camera, outdoor visibilty, basic games (for 4yr old), music

10. Q: Any other requirements?
that covers pretty much everything. battery should be good (i mean for 16hours with lot of camera and gps activity and very less calling.
Waranty etc is not much of an issue, as long as the local mech can do the job.
phone wont be replaced within 3-4yrs, so even if it is not technologically future proof, atleast it should be well built.
jelly bean not a must.
purchase from amazon is preferred. unless getting a better deal (in monetary terms) locally.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
so far got the...

Motorola Atrix 2 4G - 250 usd

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Atrix-MB865-Black-Gingerbread/dp/B006AB0JMC/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1357986373&sr=1-1&keywords=motorola+atrix+2

and the

Sony Xperia P LT22i-BK - 282usd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D09OR4/ref=s9_al_bw_g107_ir03?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1F7JYVA7TH14VTWZCYC5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1435869742&pf_rd_i=2407749011

...but these look more than good deals rather than something specific to my requirements....so..

any suggestions? :D

thanks ALPHA17 and hareshr29!

i had almost forgotten, that good cam = sony! :p

the sony SL with no expandable memory and un removable battery gives a feeling of using a apple!! (not a good feeling that is)
rest everything looks fine.....but the crispiness of 1080p even at 30fps is not upto my liking!

also checked out the lg 4x (8mp camera) at 23k, that apparently has some autofocus issues in video mode...

would like to stay away from galaxy..sorry...:(

any others i need to look into.....
i feel i have very few choices :(

If you can live with Windows the Lumia 820 is almost in your budget.

...i am going to be the 24x7 online support for the user, i better stick to android for the sake of my sanity! :p

that said...lumia 920 literally blows away sony sl in video clarity!! (based on gsmarena video comparison tool)

Since video is the deciding factor, you should seriously consider Atrix 2 . I think its the only phone with a mini HDMI port among the ones mentioned in this thread. Allows you to directly stream your videos on to bigger displays. But in terms of quality S2's camera beats Atrix 2 both in still images and video quality. HTC One S is another phone that rivals S2's camera and gives you 1080p @ 30fps.

@GrimReaper : Htc one s would leave me with 16gb (god know how much actually usable), xperia sl's 32gb itself is scary (scary for the fact that you just cant expand...you have to find a laptop, empty everything and move on)... dont want to consider 16gber

also in one s, the colors seem a bit too saturated...may be its a personal thing...not sure..
and ofcourse, one s is 24k on flipkart, and around 26k on amazon! xperia sl at 20k still makes sense
(donno how this particular "one s" is costlier on amazon, cause normaly its the other way round)

secondly s2 - as i said earlier, would like to stay away from the galaxy series...
if im not wrong it has a 8mp, and same 1080@30fps....are you sure the recording would be better than xperia sl 12mp??

[its pretty late...i am sorry if i made some blunders here]

@GrimReaper :

secondly s2 - as i said earlier, would like to stay away from the galaxy series...
if im not wrong it has a 8mp, and same 1080@30fps....are you sure the recording would be better than xperia sl 12mp??
1. Having handled many cameras including DSLRs let me tell you that megapixel does not accurately reflect a camera's capability.Give this blog a read to understand what I mean The Megapixel Myth ...... 2. From my experience as far as still photos go Xperia's camera is better when photos are taken outdoors where theres lots of light(photos were sharper, but you wouldn't notice unless you looked very closely). But when it comes to poorly lit areas like indoors S2's camera outperforms Xperia's. Xperia's white balance was totally off (white walls looked kind of yellowish) and the image was not sharp. 3. I have never actually recorded videos in Xperia so I cannot really comment on them . But here are 2 sample videos (outdoor shots) from youtube taken from the 2 phones . Give it a glance and decide for yourself. Xperia SL Sample Video . S2 Sample video

Galaxy camera + nokia 1200
...hahah..i knew this was comming... :D

- - - Updated - - -

1. Having handled many cameras including DSLRs let me tell you that megapixel does not accurately reflect a camera's capability.Give this blog a read to understand what I mean The Megapixel Myth ...... 2. From my experience as far as still photos go Xperia's camera is better when photos are taken outdoors where theres lots of light(photos were sharper, but you wouldn't notice unless you looked very closely). But when it comes to poorly lit areas like indoors S2's camera outperforms Xperia's. Xperia's white balance was totally off (white walls looked kind of yellowish) and the image was not sharp. 3. I have never actually recorded videos in Xperia so I cannot really comment on them . But here are 2 sample videos (outdoor shots) from youtube taken from the 2 phones . Give it a glance and decide for yourself. Xperia SL Sample Video . S2 Sample video

i know!!..but damm these people just dont mention the sensor size!!! so i just assume when the mp jump from 8 to 12 there maybe some...atleast some increase in the sensor size :p
Sonly SL fits my needs as my shooting would be mostily outdoors...the only reason i am still looking for alternatives is because of the dodgy touch buttons and fixed storage on SL...

- - - Updated - - -

been using sony xperia s for camera purposes..gets the job done pretty good..and as for storage you can buy otg cable and transfer data to some usb on the go..
..thanks @shadow747, dint look it like that...i can easily carry a 32gb pendrive along ...great!

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sony Xperia SL LT26II Unlocked Android Phone--U.S. Warranty (Silver) - BOOKED!!!

Cost = 380USD ~ 21000INR

Expected delivery date = Mid feb!

Thanks to each and everyone here for helping me out...!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]Sony Xperia SL LT26II Unlocked Android Phone--U.S. Warranty (Silver) - BOOKED!!!

Cost = 380USD ~ 21000INR

Expected delivery date = Mid feb!

Thanks to each and everyone here for helping me out...!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Thats a good choice mate. Sony does have good cam and display....
But IMHO I would have wanted you to buy samsung galaxy s2.(community support custom roms)

....its more of user requirement...the user for this phone barely knows anything about roms or rooting...(read female :p)

if it was for me...i would have bought some chinese crap and spent hours trying to milk it... :p
...jokes apart...very soon you might see a thread by me discussing my next phone! ;) (hopefully soon)

- - - Updated - - -

u could have got sl for 21 k on ebay india ..... why wait so much time :O :O

you see...the person comming from US wanted to get this as a gift!
....somehow he dint like the idea of buying it once he rechd here..........
i guess he wanted the phone to have the imaginary "brought from US" label!..

Back