Graphic Cards ATI Radeon detected as SiS 315

yasirsk

Disciple
Sep 8, 2008
i have a Intel D865 Pearl Mobo. few days ago i got in my hand a ATI Radeon 7000. i plugged the thing and turned the PC on. the system booted normally and it detected it as a SIS 315, it didn't even smell the ATI, so confidently i entered the mobo bios, didn't find a disable/enable option for the thing so i chose the primary VGA as AGP and restarted..still the system didn't recognize the ati.
again i entered the bios to check on more settings, i removed the vga memory share and nothing else was there concerning a vga settings.

i re-installed windows and tried to force the ati drivers but the drivers said it didn't detect a ati product and the freaking SIS in computer managment remained in my face.

I got frustrated, formated the system and re-partitioned it again and re-installed windows XP SP3...still, SIS 315.:mad:

for the sake of all that is good, please assist me. what went wrong and how can i solve this issue before i lose my mind!!!:mad:

mav2000

Skilled
Dec 19, 2008
Either the card is dead, or there is more to the bios settings. Any lights on the card which come on at the startup?

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005
There was a huge scam some years back where unknown brands were selling ATI cards, with a SIS chip. They use to disguise their drivers to detect it as an ATI chip, but the card would work only with the drivers that come along with the purchase, Catalyst suite wont even detect it.

Looking at your scenario, seems you got one of the "fakes"

As a test, try running Quake 3, it wont run at all, as SIS chips back then didnt support OpenGL API at all. I had a Sis 6326 nearly a decade back, and one of the worse VGA chips I have ever seen...

apollyon

ex-Mod
Feb 27, 2005
yasirsk said:
i have a Intel D865 Pearl Mobo. few days ago i got in my hand a ATI Radeon 7000. i plugged the thing and turned the PC on. the system booted normally and it detected it as a SIS 315, it didn't even smell the ATI, so confidently i entered the mobo bios, didn't find a disable/enable option for the thing so i chose the primary VGA as AGP and restarted..still the system didn't recognize the ati.
again i entered the bios to check on more settings, i removed the vga memory share and nothing else was there concerning a vga settings.

i re-installed windows and tried to force the ati drivers but the drivers said it didn't detect a ati product and the freaking SIS in computer managment remained in my face.

I got frustrated, formated the system and re-partitioned it again and re-installed windows XP SP3...still, SIS 315.:mad:

for the sake of all that is good, please assist me. what went wrong and how can i solve this issue before i lose my mind!!!:mad:

lol, thats a very common trick people used to sell el-cheapo sis cards as the much more exensive radeon cards.
the drivers supplied with this "radeon 7000" were modded to get the card to be detected as a radeon card. normal catalyst drivers refused to detect the card. so what you have is really a sis 315 card :)
ot - i googled this problem to illustrate how common this was some years back and found this thread on a forum
please assist me, ATI Radeon 7000 = SIS 315 - The PC Guide Discussion Forums

you seem to have copied the exact post made by that OP with some minor changes of your own? :p

edit - aces beat me to it :p

yasirsk

Disciple
Sep 8, 2008
apollyon said:
you seem to have copied the exact post made by that OP with some minor changes of your own? :p

Yup I copied almost most of the post and changed it to suit my requirements :p ... Co'z the problem was the same...

At first I thought it was a fake too.. But in the BIOS at the start it says ATI RADEON 64MB... So that's why I thought that probably something is missing... and to worsen the things... the SIS is displaying just 6 MB ...

:peace:

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005
yasirsk said:
Yup I copied almost most of the post and changed it to suit my requirements :p ... Co'z the problem was the same...

At first I thought it was a fake too.. But in the BIOS at the start it says ATI RADEON 64MB... So that's why I thought that probably something is missing... and to worsen the things... the SIS is displaying just 6 MB ...

:peace:

Thats not a tough thing to have, it can be easily engineered to display it as a chip in bios. But Catalyst will not be able to detect it, infact download the SIS drivers, they will detect the chip in a jiffy :)

saumilsingh

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Rofl, the SiS 6326 was one awesome card. We used to curse it so much all the while playing Q2 at 320x240 windowed mode.