Basic beginner tripod for content creation (food and product still shoots)

TheNawab

Patron
Completely a beginner at photography but I have started studying a lot in the past few months about food photography and product shoots. Looking for a good tripod to use with my phone to fuel my hobby until I can afford a camera set. Particularly interested in those side hand grips for phones (don't know their technical name) as I have big ass hands & a basic tripod as well.

Budget for both is around ₹4k.
Phone I use is a Honor x9b.

Here are some bonus shots from my practice! No tripod or stands used in these :3

IMG_20240411_183658_833.jpg
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_20240406_141119-01.jpeg

Particularly interested in those side hand grips for phones (don't know their technical name) as I have big ass hands & a basic tripod as well.
This is what you want to hold the phone. Unlike regular spring loaded clamps, this one uses a screw to tighten/loosen, so it won't apply too excess force on big phones and damage them. Tighten only as much as you need.

If your primary use is indoors, on table tops, then you may not want a traditional camera tripod. The cheaper ones won't have an articulating arm. Luckily this is the age of mobile photo/video -graphy; something like this might serve you well. However it won't support the weight of an actual camera

This is what you want to hold the phone. Unlike regular spring loaded clamps, this one uses a screw to tighten/loosen, so it won't apply too excess force on big phones and damage them. Tighten only as much as you need.

If your primary use is indoors, on table tops, then you may not want a traditional camera tripod. The cheaper ones won't have an articulating arm. Luckily this is the age of mobile photo/video -graphy; something like this might serve you well. However it won't support the weight of an actual camera

Thanks for the suggestions!

What about the grip for shooting with hand? I have really big hands and it's a bit uncomfortable for me to hold the phone at some angles.

I was thinking something like this for times when I am not using the phone on the mount.
Screenshot_20240521_220139.jpg

Looking for good quality options.

No idea, never used them. Most phones support using the volume button to take pic. Check if yours does it.

Else you can try using a wired/wireless selfie stick remote (once again, never used them, just a suggestion)

Lmao. See this is why I want a tripod for these overhead shots. It's me holding a sheet for diffusing the sunlight probably.
You certainly figured out the lighting. Why don't you use voice activation for taking the shots. Less shake that way. Otherwise a BT trigger if your phone camera allows it.

Phone holders can work if you have something to attach them to

Most holders only work if clamped to a horizontal plane. The one above can also work with a vertical flat surface. Keep that in mind when going for these phone holders

Free standing

Last edited:
Back