Basic Home network streaming setup

Hi guys,

I recently had the idea of streaming all my videos and music over a home network.

Basically store all my videos on a network drive and connect to my router and stream it wirelessly to my ipad or laptop or phone(SD or HD quality files).

Also wanted to download everything directly to my network drive.

Currently my problem is my laptop which is my primary device has only a 10/100 mbps Ethernet port so transfer speeds are very slow. I will eventually transfer all files to the network drive. I don’t know what other way is fast to transfer files (copying files onto a USB and transferring them via routers USB 3.0 port), I tried the same but the the speeds don’t seem to be gigabit speeds when transferring from a pen drive plugged into the router USB 3.0 port to network drive. I can see both devices USB connected to router and network drive on my windows explorer when I transfer the files.

For this project of mine I purchased the following:

A) Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router

B) Seagate Central 2TB Network drive

C) Netgear wireless AC adapter for my laptop

1. My current issue is transferring files from my laptop over the Ethernet port of my laptop (don’t know if USB transfer and then plugging in USB drive to router would be faster to transfer to the network drive).

2. And do I need to change my primary device to something with a gigabit Ethernet port (an HTPC or laptop with gigabit Ethernet)

Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome.

A. Needs to support DLNA and Airplay (or whatever for Apple) to stream to Android/Apple devices.
B. Must have bittorrent and cybelocker support for downloading directly to the Central.
C. USB speeds are never good on most routers, if not all.

1. My current issue is transferring files from my laptop over the Ethernet port of my laptop (don’t know if USB transfer and then plugging in USB drive to router would be faster to transfer to the network drive).

I am sure the Seagate Central has a USB port on the backside. Copy the stuff onto a portable HDD and attach to the Central, open the webgui and move the data.

2. And do I need to change my primary device to something with a gigabit Ethernet port (an HTPC or laptop with gigabit Ethernet)

Ideally, yes.

Back