Storage Solutions Best DVD for Storage Movies

Feb 17, 2007
Hi techy,, I am little confused abt blank DVD (4.7 GB) media. I am try
Sony DVD-R / 4.7 GB / 16x :(
Moserbaer DVD-R / 4.7 GB / 16x :D
National DVD-R / 4.7 GB / 16x :eek:hyeah:
My mainly use storing or backup my movies collection and recently i am faced problem while i am copy the movie DVD to my PC getting "Data error <cyclic redundancy check>.

I am losting too many movie becasue of this error..:mad:

tell best dvd for rough usage and long term storage.

Don't say Harddisk i hv 500 GB but need backup in DVD.

chic_magnet

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
I use Verbatims. Burn movies and tv shows at 8x and they dont give me any errors whatsoever.

I was previous using Moser Baer and Sony DVDs and I did get CRC errors on quite a few of the burnt dvds. So as a result, i stopped using them and shifted to verbatims.

Try and see if verbatims help your cause. I think mediahome.in offers some good deals on 50 packs.

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
Who stores movies these days on a disc? Harddisk is better choice considering indexing searching, space requirement. No need to burn or anything.

I have two carton filled up with dvd (2-3 years old) which I never bother to open, dust and view. However not same about hard drive. So go for a hard disk. In a longer run much much better than DVD.

~LT

Feb 17, 2007
linuxtechie said:
Who stores movies these days on a disc? Harddisk is better choice considering indexing searching, space requirement. No need to burn or anything.

I have two carton filled up with dvd (2-3 years old) which I never bother to open, dust and view. However not same about hard drive. So go for a hard disk. In a longer run much much better than DVD.

~LT

don't hv any problem for buy new 500 or 1000 GB HD. but i hv the one particular question and also except a reasonable answer.

forum67

Adept
Dec 11, 2007
tried all.....

1.sony.....not even a single damaged

2. verbatim.....made in india ones are OK..few got bad after keeping it outside on my bed

3.rest cr@p

bs0409

Disciple
Jun 10, 2009
yes..........

Invest in another 500 gb hdd rather than buying DVD's.

look at the figures:

500 GB=100 DVD's (approx)

500 GB hdd =RS.3000

100 moser baer DVD's = Rs.1300

So by paying 2.33 times the price, You get a much better solution.

Advantages of HDD over DVD:

1.All in one place solution. don't need to search through DVD's for a particular file

2.does'nt get damaged so easily.

3. does'nt get scratched like dvd's

4. Files can be recovered using standard software in case Hdd becomes corrupt which cannot be done in DVD's

5. Files can be copied to and from HDD's much faster than DVD's

6. HDD is rewritable media while standard DVD's are not.

7. U don't need DVD-writer to access HDD's

8. U don't need that huge nero software junkie to access HDD

9. Completely Internal media of the PC and is not prone to damage by hand usage,sunlight,liquid,etc

10. U can install/uninstall programs in HDD which cannot be done in DVD

Nashnir

Disciple
Jan 28, 2009
Go for Sony.

Also listen to linux.

If you are constantly accessing you collection DvD will make you cry. ( Gotta take care of scatches you know >.> . Also you will have a huge pile cluttering you storage space)

Save cash and by a HDD. Prices are crashing everyday so buying one is never out of ones reach. Buying an HDD also gives the advantage of replacing a movie with a better quality one if you find it.

I say this from experience. I have replaced many of my colection with new 1080p versions

btw

WD Essential ITB External HDD is for 5.8k. Very cheap and is a good deal.

Feb 17, 2007
forum67 said:
tried all.....
1.sony.....not even a single damaged
2. verbatim.....made in india ones are OK..few got bad after keeping it outside on my bed
3.rest cr@p

but sony give me a problem.

lower writing speed has any effect on data:huh:

forum67

Adept
Dec 11, 2007
lucky_chouhan said:

^nope.its better to write in slow.
..then try Verbatim.Better get TY from KMD.
HDD are much better.....but the reliability is a serious issue with current HDDs.

regarding national...lol..u have to keep them very very careful.
My friends got few pirated games(OLD stock from roadside ) which are burnt on National,even though they where sealed in seal king plastic(never opened), yet many scratched.....they are bound to scratches after 9-10months.

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
lucky_chouhan said:

yes it has effect - writing on lower speeds gives better and consistent writes on the disc than on very high or full speed.

the reason you are getting crc error is you must be writing on 16x and the drive fails to write properly at that speed. another reason could be discs are not properly rated for true 16x and may in reality be just good for 12x speeds.

Techie#1

Skilled
Sep 20, 2005
I think The Perfect Storage medium,which is roboust & cheap enough has Not yet hit the market. I get failures on Both DVDs as well as HDD, so i am also seriously looking for the ideal storage medium for archiving my treasured dl's,yet i have found None !

MohitPreet

Skilled
Dec 17, 2008
dvds r always better than hdd's for data storage.

hdds these days r crashing like hell

i use verbatims for my data back up.

i used over 100 verbatims , very nice

also i use the cheap 3rd class dvd's that come in a sealed laminted packing without the spindle.

got them for Rs 590 for a pack of 100 dvd's

i also burn 2 of these discs of the same copy in addition to 1 verbatim

so i have 3 copies of the same dvd :p

any dvd verbatim , sony is bound to get scratches over a peiod of time

so its better to make multiple copies on some good disks and some not so good also :p

i have been doing like this for 1-2 years

never felt like buying a new hdd :p

amitjakhar

Adept
Feb 17, 2009
New Delhi
Yes always backup data on DVD's. Hard disks are not safe. I have been using WRITEX DVD for long time and never faced any problem. You might be thinking WRITEX is not that good as its cheapest. But you buy one and try breaking it, than you come to know its really good. About scratches i believe all DVD's get scratches easily than CD's. So you buy a DVD case to keep them safe and dust free. But again never ever believe in hard disk. 2 days back only my new 500GB Sigate got dead and it had many movies that i did not write and serials as well. Try WRITEX once if you have not.

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Dec 31, 2007
New Delhi
bs0409 said:
8. U don't need that huge nero software junkie to access HDD

10. U can install/uninstall programs in HDD which cannot be done in DVD

8) Ah , so you need Nero to access DVD's , never knew that , my PC displays a CD icon though , maybe im too l33t

10) The OP doesnt want to install programs , next you will say you can use the hard drive to throw at full force and smash someone's head which cannot be done with DVD's

@ OP - Try looking for MIS verbatim's , good quality and good life , but how you store the DVD is also very important

Feb 17, 2007
dragon_unleash said:
national is the best wen it comes to cheapo dvdr, even i hav burnt many national dvds and they never failed...

Its not any burn probl;em, the problem is getting back data from DVD to hd.
SAMSUNG DVD RW is getting I/O erorr. :mad:

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
HDDs are not good for backup.
@Those who feel HDD is a better option, wait till ur 1TB hdd goes conk...:bleh:

U can use Verbatim (MCC004) for any backup. But its not just the DVD that should be good but also how u store it. Buy good DVD packs and keep the DVD as free of dust as possible.
U keep ur DVDs properly and they wn't give up any time in 5-10 yrs...
I still remember writing some movies on Sony DVDs some 7 yrs back and they still are just good. :D