Blue ray player smoked

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
My brother got a Toshiba Blue Ray player with wifi ready and Internet video streaming and all. Was lying in the box for two days. Yesterday my younger cousin tried to connect it to my Bravia. I never checked its specification. I ran when he yelled for help, and all I saw was smoke coming from its vents and he pulled plug in a second as he says.

It was 110v AC input. Seems like some caps has conked and the electrolyte liquid was coming out from one of the vents. Can it be repaired? SHould i open it to check the damage or sent it back to US for warranty/repair ?

Can I claim warranty for connecting a 110v device to 230v ? 85$ Just went into thin air :(

I think it may still be reparable. Show it some electronic repair shop.

I know this hurts and worst part is there was no adapter block in between like there is in laptop etc. :(

Dont think you can. Did the same to my Netgear WiDi adapter.

Anyways let me know if you do plan to it to the US as my Netgear PTV1000 WiDi is also not powering up. I still have 1 yr more on the hardware.

No dude afaik i think you cant claim but definitely can repair it, my friend got a sony blueray player same thing happened he gave it to service they repaired but he was charged around 3k dont remember exactly!! Then he had again spend on the convertor for 230v!! One thing is sure you need to spend a bit..

vivek.krishnan said:
Dont think you can. Did the same to my Netgear WiDi adapter.

Anyways let me know if you do plan to it to the US as my Netgear PTV1000 WiDi is also not powering up. I still have 1 yr more on the hardware.

I think i can help. Still havn't decided what to do about this thing. Lucking the new Canon rebel T3i which I got as well has 110-230v battery charger.

Back