Bringing a desktop from US to India

source for this info? or you were just lucky to escape customs?
Came back from US last week with two laptops. Customs declaration form given in the plane before landing in India has this mentioned that you can carry two laptops. My friend carried two laptops + one iPad with him. I landed in Mumbai from JFK, New York.

45k value items you can legally bring back. No problem with that. I was told by my friends that cap is 35k but to my surprise I found out that the permissible limit was 45k. May be they revised recently.

I had declared ~37k worth of items in the form itself. So I am pretty sure about it.

Do carry your bills with you for safety or else they will valuate the item at their wish and you will have to pay around ~37% duty on the evaluation.

You are just being bit too "violent" with your posts. You don't necessarily hide things when your cabin bags and check in bags pass through X Ray Scanners. Its not a mission impossible movie. Its upto them to ask me the questions. I/or Anyone is not going to yell "2 laptops..2 laptops" and walk towards the immigration check.
i just wanted to know if this is official... that's it. and people are just posting their experiences. if you want to talk about experiences then there are ladies in IT who smuggle gold worth more than your "two laptops".

and i don't need to shout about my baggage contents... they issue forms to write it down. :p

if you have an official document then please post the link. otherwise no need to mislead OP.

Came back from US last week with two laptops. Customs declaration form given in the plane before landing in India has this mentioned that you can carry two laptops.
thank you! that's what i wanted to know. all i could find was some old documents.

I think you haven't comprehended my language properly. From the first post or second, I have mentioned they are my and my personal network experiences. They may be misleading to you. May not be for others.
Think that is the intention of any threads in message boards, quora etc.

If someone wants official data, contact Indian Customs.

^^ sorry boss... mujhe maaf kar do, main zyada pada likha nahin hoon

i posted 2013 link belonging to indian customs. the same docs were shown to me in 2013. there's 2014 news article stating the same thing: that only 1 laptop allowed.

i am 100% sure about what customs allowed in 2013. if people still were able to bring in 2 laptops till 2013 then what they did was illegal and i consider sharing such anecdotes on a public forum - misleading.

talking about posts... i only asked @akskap for more info.

Then you avoid posting, reading in public forums. Its a place where smugglers, like me, share our anecdotes.

@OP.. hope my smuggling experience helped you get some idea. Going to ignore this thread due to some "other" reasons. :)

This is making me sad. I'm having to choose between gaming at ultra with a 980ti or Fury X and gaming at med-high on a laptop of similar price. I think I might as well buy a cheap and light laptop and a PS4 since I might be getting almost similar fidelity anyway. The MSI GS30 with gaming dock is not seeming viable since it is horrible as a laptop with 82min battery life in normal usage and is very hot and loud. :(

I'm planning to do MS and I want to carry my laptop, a 23'' Monitor, a 2.1 speaker, a keyboard, raspberry pi, 3TB HDD, 2TB HDD, 250-120GB portables, and a few more stuff (solder station, headphones, a few earphones, 525 DVDs, Mouse, and Mouse pad) along with me to the US. I'm planning to keep the laptop as Hand baggage and the remaining will be in suitcases. Please share your suggestions on how to get this stuff the other side.

it's not being greedy but not declaring it... you may call it cheating or being clever.
yes, you can bring in as many as you want, as long as you hide them well from the customs. the official document states just "one" laptop allowed, above duty-free limit. so, you can get by, by not declaring it.
well, i got my answer: two-laptop policy is not official.
Usually every IT engineer has a work laptop and a personal laptop. and everyone usually carries two when they are travelling abroad. its not greed or hiding. The official document usually describes the total value of items and not individual items. for example, over 800 dollars worth if you are entering Australia. they dont say anything like two laptops or 10. The idea here is that the items you carry are for personal use and not new items which you want to evade duties.
45k value items you can legally bring back. No problem with that.
When I came to India last time I declared that the worth was more than 3 lakhs. the guy said it was too costly. I told him that my work laptop itself was worth 1lakh and it was not owned by me but my company. all he wanted was 10 dollars.

I'm planning to do MS and I want to carry my laptop, a 23'' Monitor, a 2.1 speaker, a keyboard, raspberry pi, 3TB HDD, 2TB HDD, 250-120GB portables, and a few more stuff (solder station, headphones, a few earphones, 525 DVDs, Mouse, and Mouse pad) along with me to the US. I'm planning to keep the laptop as Hand baggage and the remaining will be in suitcases. Please share your suggestions on how to get this stuff the other side.

Don't bother with the monitor - 9 times out of 10 it will get damaged regardless of how well you pack it/ marking it fragile

Source: Tried to take a 24" via plane to chennai, landed up with a huge blotch on the screen.

Leaving aside the data stuff (HDDs and DVDs) why don't you sell your PC here and setup a new/similar config there?

Back