Video Calling all WD HD media player Users !

hector19

| Crafted for Gaming |
Adept
Can Western Digital HD media player pass through DTS sound via optical ( S/PDIF ) ?
I have a Pioneer amp thats supports DTS & DTS decoder aswell, but after GOOGLING
bout the WH HD player dosent downmix or even support DTS audio, if an MKV's embedded
with an DTS or DTS- HD the Video plays fine, but no sound But in the Manual it says i supports
Many owners Complaint bout this !

I've got a WD TV Live media player. I've barely used it though so I don't have much advice to offer! Will keep track of this thread though :)

Ohhh yeash....

I bought it and LOVE it... although there are some feature i like to have...

like playlists or something... even i am in the custom firmware.

m-jeri said:
Ohhh yeash....

I bought it and LOVE it... although there are some feature i like to have...

like playlists or something... even i am in the custom firmware.

Does it support DTS ?

Praks said:
yeah WD TV Live supports DTS.

its only WD HD old player which cant play DTS.

Damn :mad: it !!

Does any latest firmware fix this DTS issue, I know there is a big thread at WDTV forum which talks about converting mkv files stuff, but I am sick and tired of doing it (too much of hassle storing original file, storing converted file etc).

Dont want to hijack this thread,
i own a wdtv live and have been thinking of getting a speaker system for it. But i am confused reading all the technical jargon of optical out, dts etc etc.

Can someone please point me a cheap and good set of speakers that i can buy for my wdtv. Am a noob so please excuse this reply!

Look, what did I say that didn't make sense?

If you're using the SPDIF out, all files with a DTS stream will play on the WDTV, with the device passing through the DTS data to the receiver for decoding.

If you're using the analogue outs on the original WDTV, files with DTS will not play, as there is a licensing fee required for DTS downsampling, which WD did not pay.

However, for the newer WDTV Live, both the above methods will work just fine.

An aside: DTS HD Master files can't be decoded on either.

@hector19

Ehh Why WDTV mate ?

How about WDTV live where you can watch all movies as well connect external HDD & download torrents all day & night without keeping PC on :)

TechHead said:
If you're using the SPDIF out, all files with a DTS stream will play on the WDTV, with the device passing through the DTS data to the receiver for decoding.

If you're using the analogue outs on the original WDTV, files with DTS will not play, as there is a licensing fee required for DTS downsampling, which WD did not pay.

Have a quick question here, in my case both analog audio out as well as HDMI out does not play DTS audio (I believe HDMI supports DTS as the sound signal is digital). Can you please explain how spdif can support DTS where as HDMI cannot ?

^ Dude, i think S/PDIF is different from HDMI u should have tried it with OPTICAL ^ if u'have connected ur HDMI to ur TV rather than an DTS decoding Amp then thats common :( IMO !

Back