Graphic Cards Can CM600 Xtreme Handle HD 5850

DeMoN_VmP

Disciple
Guys,

I am having CM Xtreme 600W and planning to buy HD5850 in place of HD4850. Can it handle this GPU.

Need some advise here.

:food1:

Current Rig Setup:

E8400 3Ghz
DG33BU
1GB x 3 DDR2 667Mhz
4 HDD (640GB X 2, 250GB X 1, 80 X 1)
HD4850 512MB Dual Slot Cooler

This time we made more detailed tests, starting from 85 W and increasing load little by little until we could see the maximum amount of power we could extract from the reviewed unit.

If you add all the powers listed for each test you may find a value different from what is posted under “Total” below. Since each output can have a slight variation (e.g. +5 V output working at 5.10 V), the actual total amount of power being delivered is slightly different from the calculated value. On the “Total” row we are using the real amount of power being delivered, as measured by our load tester.

The +12VA and +12VB inputs listed below are the two +12 V independent inputs from our load tester. During this test +12VA input was connected to the power supply “+12V1” rail, while +12VB was connected to the power supply “+12V2” rail (EPS12V connector).

The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W, like the 550 W model from the same series, can’t deliver its labeled wattage. The power supply immediately burned when we tried to run our 600 W load pattern (what would be our test number 22). Inspecting the power supply after it burned we discovered that the component that failed was one of the switching transistors. It is also very important to note that due to the huge difference between what we were supposed to see at the +12 V output and the actual voltage being delivered by the power supply (e.g., +11.25 V during test number 21), the total wattage delivered by the power supply was way lower than it should be. For instance, the load pattern used during test 21 was supposed to extract 575 W from the power supply, but it was delivering 547.3 W during this test.

Efficiency peaked at 77.6% during test eight, with the unit delivering around 245 W, and reached its lowest point at 69.2%, with the unit delivering 84.0 W.

Voltage regulation was bad, with the power supply not being able to keep the +12 V output inside its correct value from test 18 (480 W) on. Therefore, it is only safe to pull up to 450 W from this power supply – above this value this power supply can damage components from your computer.

Noise and ripple levels, on the other hand, were very low at all times. During test 21 we saw a noise level of 33 mV at +12VA, 36.4 mV at +12VB, 19.2 mV at +5 V, 15.2 mV at +3.3 V, 16.6 mV at +5VSB and 35.4 mV at -12 V. As we always point out, the limits are 120 mV for +12 V and -12 V outputs, and 50 mV for +5 V and +3.3 V outputs, and all numbers are peak-to-peak figures.
Conclusions
Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off.

If you pull more than 450 W from this product it will offer real risk to your computer, plus it presents a lousy efficiency between 69.2% and 77.6%.
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Hardware Secrets is one of the best PSU review sites along with Johny Guru. Take a look at the lines in Bold. This is why ppl in TE ask ones who get a good GPU to change their CM extreme Power PSU to better PSU like the Corsair, Seasonic, CM Silent Pro series etc....

Other than not being able to deliver more than 450w and just burns when trying to pull more power unlike the quality ones which shuts down safely :no: It sells for nearly 3k and for that price is a piece of cr@p.
http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-a-169269.html

can i run the CM 600 Xtreme for HD5850 and my HDDs alone connecting the respective power cable and power the rest of the rig with a diff low end PSU ?:(

DeMoN_VmP said:
can i run the CM 600 Xtreme for HD5850 and my HDDs alone connecting the respective power cable and power the rest of the rig with a diff low end PSU ?:(
it's not required , best is to buy anything >= corsair vx550 :D

@DarkAngel:

Arnab Boss's CM Extreme burnt out. He had just made a post about his new system...!

asingh said:
@DarkAngel:
Arnab Boss's CM Extreme burnt out. He had just made a post about his new system...!
He hasn't mentioned it in the thread :S He got a new rig with CM EPP 600w :O
Ppl never listen:( Hope it didnt take any other component with it.
The stupid indian tech mags and tech sites are to blame. They recommend the CM Elite 3xx + CM 500w EPP ~ 4.5k combo to all mid range gaming system.

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/my-new-gamming-rig-169975.html

yes it can run easily . hd5850 requires very less power even less than 4850 .

But the psu is not good and not recommended for any good configuration due to low efficiency and drop in 12v rail under load . if u want to be safe u should get better psu .

I had the same psu and was running a GTX 260 for over 6 mnths, surely it sounded like a risk but i still went ahead and used it anyways

So many threads on this and people still ask the same thing *sigh* every week almost.

Like really i feel you guys ask just to be told its ok to run it.

DeMoN_VmP said:
Sounds risky

I am thinking getting a new PSU suggest one below 4k for HD 5850
Rahul (TheITWares) had a deal on Seasonic S12II 520w for 4.1k. Its the best bet for ~4k.

Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W Review
Seasonic S12II Bronze 520 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Its got excellent reviews :)

buddingwhizkid said:
cooler master gx 550w ! 4.3k at primeabgb !
youll get it a little cheaper in the market :)
Boss i understand ur eagerness to suggest. Few of ur suggestions are good but few are quite lousy. If u do not know abt something then don't post just for the sake of it.
CM GX series is pathetic.

Coolermaster GX-750 750W Review

Go through this review and u will understand why.

Back